Campfire - Solaris
Apr 26, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #7,891 of 12,035
I honestly love my Solaris SE, but recently, It's been gathering more dust as I use my A12t more. I think the tuning of the Solaris SE has been the best I've experienced, and the soundstage is addicting, but the shell just doesn't fit for me all the time. On some days, I'm able to enjoy them for hours on end with no issues. On other days, they create hotspots on my ears after 45 minutes and I have to shift them every 15-20 minutes after that. It's extremely frustrating because I want to enjoy them more, but it's hard for me to enjoy the music when my ears hurt. I tried custom tips, and I don't know why, but the feel of such a big chunk of silicone on my ears just feels unpleasant.

I've had days where I contemplate selling them. So far, I've decided to keep them, but as I use them less and less, it's getting harder and harder to justify keeping them. In some ways, I regret getting my first custom (A12t) because now it's hard for me to go back to universal fit.

And yes, I'm aware this is a first-world problem to the extreme :). I'm very fortunate that in this chaotic time, this is what I'm complaining about.

Pursuing a custom is the next logical step for me-- I would love to experience the fit. The problem is I'm not totally sold on which IEM to go after. The VE8 is the first one that comes to mind right now...but the lack of DD bass might be a deal breaker for me in the long term. The problem is that there doesn't really exist an IEM like the Solaris SE in custom form, that is a balanced, spacious hybrid with dynamic bass.. If CFA ever manages a custom Solaris I would be very very tempted.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #7,892 of 12,035
I honestly love my Solaris SE, but recently, It's been gathering more dust as I use my A12t more. I think the tuning of the Solaris SE has been the best I've experienced, and the soundstage is addicting, but the shell just doesn't fit for me all the time. On some days, I'm able to enjoy them for hours on end with no issues. On other days, they create hotspots on my ears after 45 minutes and I have to shift them every 15-20 minutes after that. It's extremely frustrating because I want to enjoy them more, but it's hard for me to enjoy the music when my ears hurt. I tried custom tips, and I don't know why, but the feel of such a big chunk of silicone on my ears just feels unpleasant.

I've had days where I contemplate selling them. So far, I've decided to keep them, but as I use them less and less, it's getting harder and harder to justify keeping them. In some ways, I regret getting my first custom (A12t) because now it's hard for me to go back to universal fit.

And yes, I'm aware this is a first-world problem to the extreme :). I'm very fortunate that in this chaotic time, this is what I'm complaining about.
Just curious where you got the custom tips from? Guessing adv as you are in the states? Maybe Custom Arts tips which don't fill the whole ear would be more comfortable (Fokta's posted his numerous times to give you an idea of what they look like).

Apr 26, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #7,893 of 12,035
Just curious where you got the custom tips from? Guessing adv as you are in the states? Maybe Custom Arts tips which don't fill the whole ear would be more comfortable (Fokta's posted his numerous times to give you an idea of what they look like).

Yep ADV. Nothing against them, the customer service was great and the product itself fit like a charm. I just don't like how silicone feels. Fine with silicone ear tips, but when it's a big block of silicone, it just feels strange.

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #7,894 of 12,035
I love the sound of Solaris with the Custom Art tips. What I don't like is that you have an already large IEM, which sticks out of your ear a bit, and add a custom tip and it sticks out that much further.

Apr 26, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #7,895 of 12,035
Yep ADV. Nothing against them, the customer service was great and the product itself fit like a charm. I just don't like how silicone feels. Fine with silicone ear tips, but when it's a big block of silicone, it just feels strange.
I have no problems with the ADV silicon tips and prefer the feel of them over normal silicon tips.

I fall asleep wearing my Solaris with ADV tips. When I wake up I take the Solaris out and leave the tips in. This way when I wake up in the middle to the night I can just pop the Solaris back in listen so more before I fall back asleep.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #7,896 of 12,035
Well, another brick in the wall... Finally recieved my SE's. I like the sound and the fit, I have some driver flex in the left unit with the final tips, so I use the foam ones, not good tbh, I felt them really confortable. I found the Tia Trios to have more capable bass and highs IMHO, but it's a bit overly done in both extremes to my taste. I feel a more relaxed and neutral sound with Solaris, fit my ears well, I like the tuning more, and the soundstage is huge. I had to return the Trio's due to the fit, all my grateful to headtek for being so helpful and comprehensive, really nice people, I really recommend contact them if you are in Europe and want to buy 64 audio products. I think I'll never hear cymbals as with the Trio, sadly.

About pairing, with the LG V30 the combo is a bit bright and blurry sometimes with no hiss. Other Animals new album is great to detect this... what an album mates!
Changing to Hugo 2, was quite revealing. Better basss definition, more separated instruments, better timbre, more coherency, better soundstage... Never felt the Hugo in this way, because I think my gear wasn't as revealing as it should. I get a bit of hiss, but is not a nightmare. It's impressive when a IEM is better than a quite good headphone like my Clears, and this is making me think about buy a dap with a good sinergy with Solaris and sell all the rest, I don't see the need to have big headphones and a desktop rig to achieve a really good SQ.

At this point is were I need your help, wich dap do you recommend to me? I like how hugo 2 + solaris sound, just want less hiss and real portability. I don't want to add extra brightness. I need WiFi, I mainly use Tidal. I hear all kind of music at moderate levels. I prefer neutral with a litlle extra bass touch. Under 2k. What do we have? Sp1000m? N6ii? Wm1z (used, too warm maybe)? Am I going to renounce to some SQ noticeably?

Thx in advance!

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #7,897 of 12,035
Well, another brick in the wall... Finally recieved my SE's. I like the sound and the fit, I have some driver flex in the left unit with the final tips, so I use the foam ones, not good tbh, I felt them really confortable. I found the Tia Trios to have more capable bass and highs IMHO, but it's a bit overly done in both extremes to my taste. I feel a more relaxed and neutral sound with Solaris, fit my ears well, I like the tuning more, and the soundstage is huge. I had to return the Trio's due to the fit, all my grateful to headtek for being so helpful and comprehensive, really nice people, I really recommend contact them if you are in Europe and want to buy 64 audio products. I think I'll never hear cymbals as with the Trio, sadly.

About pairing, with the LG V30 the combo is a bit bright and blurry sometimes with no hiss. Other Animals new album is great to detect this... what an album mates!
Changing to Hugo 2, was quite revealing. Better basss definition, more separated instruments, better timbre, more coherency, better soundstage... Never felt the Hugo in this way, because I think my gear wasn't as revealing as it should. I get a bit of hiss, but is not a nightmare. It's impressive when a IEM is better than a quite good headphone like my Clears, and this is making me think about buy a dap with a good sinergy with Solaris and sell all the rest, I don't see the need to have big headphones and a desktop rig to achieve a really good SQ.

At this point is were I need your help, wich dap do you recommend to me? I like how hugo 2 + solaris sound, just want less hiss and real portability. I don't want to add extra brightness. I need WiFi, I mainly use Tidal. I hear all kind of music at moderate levels. I prefer neutral with a litlle extra bass touch. Under 2k. What do we have? Sp1000m? N6ii? Wm1z (used, too warm maybe)? Am I going to renounce to some SQ noticeably?

Thx in advance!

The n6ii with the E01 board is a spectacular virtually hiss-free pairing for Solaris SE.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #7,898 of 12,035

Thx in advance!

To get anywhere near Hugo 2 in terms of detail retrieval you’re going to need a totl DAP like the ultima line... and I read that even they don’t reach the same level but are more musical than the Hugo. Do some searches on the DAP threads you’re interested in for “hugo” and read around it.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #7,899 of 12,035
The n6ii with the E01 board is a spectacular virtually hiss-free pairing for Solaris SE.
I would also throw the iBasso DX-220 into the ring (listening thus far on the stock amp; upgraded AMP7 is en route - should arrive tmw and am happy to provide impressions). No hiss, drives the Solaris SE's beautifully. I also use Tidal (streaming and downloaded content), and it works very well on the DX220 (including Masters quality).

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #7,900 of 12,035

Yeah, I've red you are so happy with the combo, as many people are, even with A01. But with E01 it's around to 1.8k, still under my budget, but do you think it really competes in this price range?

To get anywhere near Hugo 2 in terms of detail retrieval you’re going to need a totl DAP like the ultima line... and I read that even they don’t reach the same level but are more musical than the Hugo. Do some searches on the DAP threads you’re interested in for “hugo” and read around it.

Sounds good. SP1000M is one to consider for sure. I'll check again some threads, but in this one there's not much info about it.

I would also throw the iBasso DX-220 into the ring (listening thus far on the stock amp; upgraded AMP7 is en route - should arrive tmw and am happy to provide impressions). No hiss, drives the Solaris SE's beautifully. I also use Tidal (streaming and downloaded content), and it works very well on the DX220 (including Masters quality).

Not too acclaimed here. Nice to hear positive opinions. Watch for your follow up coments with the new amp.

Thx you all.... Everyone is welcome to the discussion!

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #7,901 of 12,035
Yeah, I've red you are so happy with the combo, as many people are, even with A01. But with E01 it's around to 1.8k, still under my budget, but do you think it really competes in this price range?

Sounds good. SP1000M is one to consider for sure. I'll check again some threads, but in this one there's not much info about it.

Not too acclaimed here. Nice to hear positive opinions. Watch for your follow up coments with the new amp.

I’ve had the SP1000m in the past and used it with the Original Solaris so if you have any queries drop me a message.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #7,902 of 12,035

I think a lot of this comes down to your budget and priorities. If money is no object then my rec would be for the Cayin N8...it's the most beautiful sounding DAP I've ever heard. The n6ii with E01 is a step down but it's the closest I've heard to the N8 so far. n6ii has a great EQ, if that's your thing. Battery life with E01 is average (~ 10 hours). I like the Cayin players for a variety for a variety of reasons but I'm pretty sure that the Solaris is one of the reference IEMs they use to tune their DAPs, which may result in a nice synergy (or perhaps it's all in my head). Happy listening!

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #7,903 of 12,035
If you don't need streaming then I find the WM1Z is a great pairing with Solaris (OG in my case).
N6ii with either A01 or E01 is also a good choice but I prefer the WM1Z.
I haven't heard the N8 unfortunately.

For hiss, A01 has a small amount, WM1Z is similar - maybe a touch more, and E01 has a bit more again.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #7,904 of 12,035
I’ve had the SP1000m in the past and used it with the Original Solaris so if you have any queries drop me a message.

Sure... Thx mate.

I think a lot of this comes down to your budget and priorities. If money is no object then my rec would be for the Cayin N8...it's the most beautiful sounding DAP I've ever heard. The n6ii with E01 is a step down but it's the closest I've heard to the N8 so far. n6ii has a great EQ, if that's your thing. Battery life with E01 is average (~ 10 hours). I like the Cayin players for a variety for a variety of reasons but I'm pretty sure that the Solaris is one of the reference IEMs they use to tune their DAPs, which may result in a nice synergy (or perhaps it's all in my head). Happy listening!

Wow, a N8 is way over my budget. But thanks for the comparision and info.

If you don't need streaming then I find the WM1Z is a great pairing with Solaris (OG in my case).
N6ii with either A01 or E01 is also a good choice but I prefer the WM1Z.
I haven't heard the N8 unfortunately.

For hiss, A01 has a small amount, WM1Z is similar - maybe a touch more, and E01 has a bit more again.

Tough E01 was less hissy than A01. About wm1z, there's a really tempting offer in supersonido being priced at 2.3k. But heard some people say the combo results too much warm. Wich is good if you like this sounds signature. I like just a touch of warm, not too much, but this is difficult to know until you have listened to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back