Campfire - Solaris
Nov 15, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #6,721 of 12,035
I have read so many guys here talk about the lack of bass or mid-bass...

Personally I find the bass very good... of course it can and is a subjective matter in the most part... but given from what I have read it seems pretty much an even split....

So could that variance of opinion.. be all down to that subjective opinion or is it more likely to be the set up from tips to cable to source... even in conjunction with the genre of music...

As I say I really find the bass very good... it doesn’t over power but it accurately reflects the bass of the music I am listening to...

I find it odd a few guys say it doesn’t really perform... and I do wonder if it is simply just us all hearing something different or is it the set up possibly or even a combination of both..

If I could afford for a pair of these new Solaris’ I really wouldn’t be looking for any more bass... and if it did perhaps it really would not be a Solaris.. (if you see what I mean) isn’t that the aim of the Solaris?

I suppose it’s like the Andromeda... when you look at the many variations of it then at what point do you say that it’s no longer an Andromeda... ?

Don't get me wrong I think the bass is fantastic, and most people who say it is weak probably just didn't spend enough time with it to get a proper fit...that said to me it just needs a dash more impact-- within the realm of fine tuning, not to the realm of excess a la the LX. As it stands the Solaris is probably the best tuned and balanced hybrid on the market right now.

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #6,723 of 12,035

Personally I find the bass very good... of course it can and is a subjective matter in the most part... but given from what I have read it seems pretty much an even split....

So could that variance of opinion.. be all down to that subjective opinion or is it more likely to be the set up from tips to cable to source... even in conjunction with the genre of music...

As I say I really find the bass very good... it doesn’t over power but it accurately reflects the bass of the music I am listening to...

I find it odd a few guys say it doesn’t really perform... and I do wonder if it is simply just us all hearing something different or is it the set up possibly or even a combination of both..

If I could afford for a pair of these new Solaris’ I really wouldn’t be looking for any more bass... and if it did perhaps it really would not be a Solaris.. (if you see what I mean) isn’t that the aim of the Solaris?

I suppose it’s like the Andromeda... when you look at the many variations of it then at what point do you say that it’s no longer an Andromeda... ?
Same as you, I really enjoy the bass on the Solaris. Funny thing though. My $40 SPC cable from Amazon actually sounds warmer, better bass texture than the included super Litz. More treble extension on the super Litz, but I feel the Amazon cable is more musical and is my go to now. So, individuals looking for a little more bass from Solaris may want to try another cable, and it doesn't have to be Dunu Hulk expensive.

Nov 15, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #6,724 of 12,035
20191112_155515.jpg

Well tbh, Out of the box, if you only consider Bass, Yes These (Z1r) will be better from Solaris.

But, the Mid is not my cup of tea...

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #6,725 of 12,035
Same as you, I really enjoy the bass on the Solaris. Funny thing though. My $40 SPC cable from Amazon actually sounds warmer, better bass texture than the included super Litz. More treble extension on the super Litz, but I feel the Amazon cable is more musical and is my go to now. So, individuals looking for a little more bass from Solaris may want to try another cable, and it doesn't have to be Dunu Hulk expensive.

Can you send a link to this spc cable you speak of?...thanks in advance

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #6,726 of 12,035
Nov 15, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #6,727 of 12,035
Bargain cables are often friendly on the wallet...

E0D2687B-2AFD-44EE-9E7C-F6F0032B4FD4.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/page-109#post-15000552

——————————-

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ck-cable-thread.891911/page-109#post-15000552

QUOTE: ‘

‘Was on WeChat with TRN just now. They have traced the problem to their 6 and 8-core cables contract manufacturer. They are, like you said, doing "damage control" right now.’

The 16-core cable is made by another manufacturer, so there should NOT be any problem (at least this is what they claimed).

- interesting thread regardless.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #6,728 of 12,035
I think if the body was white like the Snow Andromeda it would have looked amazing with that face plate. Just my opinion

But I wont make any rash judgements until I know what it sounds like.

Snow White BODY, black LID and abalone infills in the CA logos and left and right engravings :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Now we are talking

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #6,729 of 12,035
Hmm design a CA.

Its actually quite a good idea.
Crowd design. I like it.

The car companies come up with endless variations and improvements on their models over the years - add ons are available and also the more special or limited concept cars for show & smaller markets etc etc

I guess design would depend on each persons ear canal shape and comfort. (Not to mention aesthetics and taste).

Now i am thinking which would be my nozzle/shell/colors combination...

EDIT:
I really like the Andromeda Gold style nozzle fit (black), maybe outer shell Cerkote finish like the Polaris (off black/charcoal), inner part deep red (more red than IO), silver?gold? screws, abalone CA logo finish.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #6,730 of 12,035
What the....

Okay, I don't really know what to say to that. It's not ugly. Just a little ostentatious, perhaps? Of course, the sound is what really matters, but we're going from bling bling to gaudy bling?

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #6,731 of 12,035
I personally don't really care how it looks-- the important question is how does it sound. The current Solaris is one of the if not the most competently tuned hybrids on the market right now...if they could add just a touch more mid bass impact it could be really be something (and I would be very tempted by it).
Yeah, this. That's what I want in a v2.

Well, to provide some context, I mostly listen to dance music (about 70% of my music collection), with the other portion split between 80s and 90s rock and pop music. With that said, a touch more impact in the lows would provide a more engaging listening experience. The bass on the Solaris is not anemic by any chance; I just wish it could bring a little more slam.

Nov 16, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #6,732 of 12,035
Yeah, this. That's what I want in a v2.

Well, to provide some context, I mostly listen to dance music (about 70% of my music collection), with the other portion split between 80s and 90s rock and pop music. With that said, a touch more impact in the lows would provide a more engaging listening experience. The bass on the Solaris is not anemic by any chance; I just wish it could bring a little more slam.
Yeah , I listen to metal music , and the Solaris is often to thin sounding compared to other's

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #6,733 of 12,035
The car companies come up with endless variations and improvements on their models over the years - add ons are available and also the more special or limited concept cars for show & smaller markets etc etc

That analogy doesn’t quite work though not when comparing a car to a set of iems...

Generally we accept that what separates one iem from another is sound.(especially when talking about the same maker) . of course that can then be broken down into look, design, materials and make up generally (BA, DD etc)

If you look at cars generally what separates one model from another ( again talking about the same maker) is shape... then of course there’s a whole rake of variables like engine, doors, etc etc..

But primarily what separates one iem from another is sound and what separates one car model from another is shape...

I only asked the question when does an Andromeda stop being an Andromeda when the maker starts tweeking and or fundamentally changing the original iem...

Could you argue that the original Andromeda is not the same as the Gold... sound wise ? Is the V1 the same sound as the V3? if yes then doesn’t that make the iem a different model in everything but name..?

Take the recent discussions here about guys saying they would get the new Solaris if it sounds different... or would replace their current Solaris etc... isn’t sound what separates our iems at every level? Price, preference etc are all secondary.. aren’t they?

I am not making the argument either way ... I am just curious... at what point does a variation Or complete change in the sound of an iem a different model...

Talking about budget cables... my Audeze LCD i3 stock cable is terrible... and I tried a few alternatives to that cable and out of all the ones I tried the best sounding one (to me) was $10 TRN 4 core copper cable...

If you check out Hakuzen’s threads on budget cables you will see he gives a comprehensive guide by testing and evaluating near enough every after market cable on AliExpress (in turn Amazon eBay Taboa etc)

He also gives an explanation and guide toward identifying ChiFi speak for certain claims about materials, for example, Silver in some cases simply referring to colour and not the material... along with that guide Hakuzen posts links to sellers (ones to avoid and ones that are more reliable) ...

I know it is a big subject of debate when it comes to cables and I can only speak to my own experience in that I have no doubt that some cables do help create a better sound quality to my ear in the same way some ear tips can etc.

but regardless of your own opinion it’s still well worth a read...

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #6,734 of 12,035
hehehe...

IMO, Solaris V2, its a way to pro long life cycle of a brand model. different tuning? yes, probably to accommodate other who ask.

But what I find weird, is that no clarification from Ken/CFA about it, nor deny.. which this roll to a some assumptions... it also can be act part of brand marketing itself...
Anyway... just a thought....

Yeah , I listen to metal music , and the Solaris is often to thin sounding compared to other's
well U need to give more information... which is Thin.. Bass? Vocal?

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #6,735 of 12,035
hehehe...

IMO, Solaris V2, its a way to pro long life cycle of a brand model. different tuning? yes, probably to accommodate other who ask.

But what I find weird, is that no clarification from Ken/CFA about it, nor deny.. which this roll to a some assumptions... it also can be act part of brand marketing itself...
Anyway... just a thought....

well U need to give more information... which is Thin.. Bass? Vocal?
Yeah the impact of the drums in the mix , and bass guitars are a bit thin . Vocals are fine :)

Btw I talked again to the German CA distributor . But the only he said to me ..
the limited edition does the things better as the OG do but it’s not miles away from each other ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back