Campfire - Solaris
Oct 31, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #6,571 of 12,035
Anybody have a suggested aftermarket balanced cable (4.4 mm) that's not too expensive and pairs well with the Solaris? Something in the $250 range or less.

@fokta, I want to try the Solaris through a balanced cable with the DX160. Do you think it would help with the hissing?

Loving the PW audio loki+ 8 wire with the Solaris, you should be able to pick up the 4 wire version for around that price

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #6,572 of 12,035
@fokta, I want to try the Solaris through a balanced cable with the DX160. Do you think it would help with the hissing?
I think the problem is on the RF interference, if only heard hiss when streaming, it will be quite challenging... so offline is one of the answer...
Have u tried stream listening on midNight?
if lesser Hiss u listen, than RF is the cause.

Balanced cable will only make you clearly heard the Hiss... IMHO... but if you used offline, that will be Great upgrade

edit cable suggestion. 179. 8 core 26AWG UP-OCC Copper cyro. to give u better texture Mid bass, and clear & detail Vocal. with compensation of Airy and clarity

edit 2 make sure ur EarTip already good seal. ear tip give more effect then Cable...

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #6,574 of 12,035
I think the problem is on the RF interference, if only heard hiss when streaming, it will be quite challenging... so offline is one of the answer...
Have u tried stream listening on midNight?
if lesser Hiss u listen, than RF is the cause.

Balanced cable will only make you clearly heard the Hiss... IMHO... but if you used offline, that will be Great upgrade

edit cable suggestion. 179. 8 core 26AWG UP-OCC Copper cyro. to give u better texture Mid bass, and clear & detail Vocal. with compensation of Airy and clarity

edit 2 make sure ur EarTip already good seal. ear tip give more effect then Cable...

It was around midnight when I heard the hissing while streaming. I'll try it again these next few days though to see if there's any difference. The video review that mentioned the hissing problem mentioned that they heard less hissing with when using the balanced out so maybe it would be worth a try later on.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #6,576 of 12,035
It was around midnight when I heard the hissing while streaming. I'll try it again these next few days though to see if there's any difference. The video review that mentioned the hissing problem mentioned that they heard less hissing with when using the balanced out so maybe it would be worth a try later on.
o dear... but like u said before, it will not Hiss if listen offline?

edit : try in airplane mode if available. then only do wifi connection, it will help a bit...

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #6,577 of 12,035
o dear... but like u said before, it will not Hiss if listen offline?

edit : try in airplane mode if available. then only do wifi connection, it will help a bit...

Hmm, after a bit more time with it, actually now I'm thinking it may not be a problem with RF interference. I think it may be like the video said, the hissing gets more noticeable when you're using the screen a lot as I still get hissing even with the wifi off using the Hiby/Mango player. But there's very little to no hissing with the screen off.

Also, might be better if we talk about this on the DX160 thread to wait if others experience the same thing.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #6,578 of 12,035
Anybody have a suggested aftermarket balanced cable (4.4 mm) that's not too expensive and pairs well with the Solaris? Something in the $250 range or less.

Have you tried looking on the budget cable thread by Hakuzen..?

He lists the best quality cables from multiple sources along with measurements and sound signature etc

He specifically lists cables for compatibility and you can get the equivalent of double even triple the price you would get from the typical cable maker or dealer...

You can get a mixture of different types hybrid or single and just as importantly the tables and charts include the connections in terms of quality etc

well worth a look.... I know some guys are selling off their high end cables because of what can be bought for well under half the price from Hakuzens tables.

Here’s the link to the start of the cable information but you will see other links that will also help...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...uck-cable-thread.891911/page-19#post-14637360

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #6,581 of 12,035
hehehe.. in that case.. find 179, 165 and 130.. that went well with SOLARIS.. if you not to in for Spark.. IMHO..,

I'm actually considering getting the DUNU Hulk instead as I like the ability to switch out the terminations. I'm willing to stretch my budget for that feature. That or the PW Audio Loki wire that was suggested as I can get it easily here. Problem is I can't try them out first before buying. I've tried using a silver cable with the Solaris once and didn't like the sound. I found it too harsh for my liking. But I understand the Loki, despite being a silver cable, might be different? Anybody who tried both and has a strong preference for one over the other?

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #6,582 of 12,035
I ordered a 175 cable a while back for my LCD i3’s which I am expecting soon so I will be interested to try that one out...

It seems to be the most recommended cable on there and does sit top of the charts in measurements and top of Hakuzen’s favourites...

Fortunately I also had a 2 pin to mmcx adapter cable made at the same time using the same 175 cable and some good quality connectors etc so I can try it on the Solaris as well...

It’s been a few days since I got the Solaris and I actually find myself excited to use them and counting the hours when I can next get them in my ears....

That’s an experience and feeling I have never had before with any of my previous earphones or iems.. I am exploring tracks in a way I never believed I would... it’s been and is such an awesome experience since getting them..

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #6,583 of 12,035
I'm actually considering getting the DUNU Hulk instead as I like the ability to switch out the terminations. I'm willing to stretch my budget for that feature. That or the PW Audio Loki wire that was suggested as I can get it easily here. Problem is I can't try them out first before buying. I've tried using a silver cable with the Solaris once and didn't like the sound. I found it too harsh for my liking. But I understand the Loki, despite being a silver cable, might be different? Anybody who tried both and has a strong preference for one over the other?

I found the same using the pure silver cable from Campfire but the Loki is a silver copper alloy, 70% silver / 30% copper from what I understand. Really a good combination for the Solaris. The 8 wire puts more of an emphasis on the sub bass and enhanced the technicalities and details of the upper frequencies. I hear the 4 wire is supposed to put more of an emphasis on the upper frequencies compared to the 8 wires sub bass emphasis but it is very marginal.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #6,584 of 12,035
I ordered a 175 cable a while back for my LCD i3’s which I am expecting soon so I will be interested to try that one out...

It seems to be the most recommended cable on there and does sit top of the charts in measurements and top of Hakuzen’s favourites...

Fortunately I also had a 2 pin to mmcx adapter cable made at the same time using the same 175 cable and some good quality connectors etc so I can try it on the Solaris as well...

It’s been a few days since I got the Solaris and I actually find myself excited to use them and counting the hours when I can next get them in my ears....

That’s an experience and feeling I have never had before with any of my previous earphones or iems.. I am exploring tracks in a way I never believed I would... it’s been and is such an awesome experience since getting them..

Let us know how it pairs with your Solaris when you do try them. :)

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #6,585 of 12,035
The 8 wire puts more of an emphasis on the sub bass and enhanced the technicalities and details of the upper frequencies. I hear the 4 wire is supposed to put more of an emphasis on the upper frequencies compared to the 8 wires sub bass emphasis but it is very marginal.
Can you explain what causes this behavior?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back