Campfire - Solaris
Oct 25, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #6,526 of 12,035
Is there anyone here has both solaris and u12t? let me know how these two compare! Thanks :)

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #6,527 of 12,035
I agree, I can pick out Thor silver 2 8wire from stock very easily a/b testing.

I honestly didn’t want to believe in cables either but tried a highly respected cable and have been changed since.
I could also easily pick out the Micro Dsd BL from the Galaxy S8 when I knew which one I was listening to. Asked someone to help me with a blind test and my success rate became not very different than random chance.

People are often not aware of their own biases, nor do they want to be.

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #6,528 of 12,035
I could also easily pick out the Micro Dsd BL from the Galaxy S8 when I knew which one I was listening to. Asked someone to help me with a blind test and my success rate became not very different than random chance.

People are often not aware of their own biases, nor do they want to be.

no a/b blind test. I make my gf do it for me. She has fun with it lol. Have you heard 8wire Thor silver?

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #6,529 of 12,035
Yes... I also agree with this statement, Based on FR graph (which I am still learning btw), High vocal / female vocal will be my concern. No, its not wrong etc. it just compensating, if you want more mid Bass, the vocal will get affected. This is why I am buying a lot of copper cable with various material.
According to my friend, it will be easy if I just play with PEQ.... been trying, not getting what I want.

I think we have similar ears as female vocals are the most important.

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #6,530 of 12,035
no a/b blind test. I make my gf do it for me. She has fun with it lol. Have you heard 8wire Thor silver?
No, but I've tried different cables (copper, silver, Chi-Fi, Western-Fi). But please clarify, because I didn't understand: did you try a blind test, or only sighted A/B?

After I asked my original question I realized that it would be very difficult to have truly blind cable tests with IEMs. That is because you feel the weight of the cable, its texture on your skin (unless worn cable down), the microphonics, etc. There are so many cues that tell which cable it is that you can be proper blind and still know which cable it is before the music even starts. And with IEMs, you really have to be the one putting them in, to ensure a proper fit and seal, so it's almost impossible to not "feel" the cable. I think a good blind test can be done with cables of similar construction, but great care needs to be taken in setting it up.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #6,531 of 12,035
I think we have similar ears as female vocals are the most important.
I think so too...

So based on my experiment, to get better Mid bass but not to affecting High Mid/Vocal, is using UP-OCC copper no Litz, between 4 and 8 core is not to different...
Litz only make (feel) the Mid recess.
This cable also affect lesser clarity and airy. but its Ok for my taste...
just sharing...
20191025_204956.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #6,534 of 12,035
No, but I've tried different cables (copper, silver, Chi-Fi, Western-Fi). But please clarify, because I didn't understand: did you try a blind test, or only sighted A/B?

After I asked my original question I realized that it would be very difficult to have truly blind cable tests with IEMs. That is because you feel the weight of the cable, its texture on your skin (unless worn cable down), the microphonics, etc. There are so many cues that tell which cable it is that you can be proper blind and still know which cable it is before the music even starts. And with IEMs, you really have to be the one putting them in, to ensure a proper fit and seal, so it's almost impossible to not "feel" the cable. I think a good blind test can be done with cables of similar construction, but great care needs to be taken in setting it up.

that’s a good point you’re making the 8wire is much heavier then stock.

the Thor silver 8wire is a lot of energy. Out of all the iems I’ve tried it on the only one I prefer it with is the Solaris. It’s highly recommended with legend x but it becomes way to overpowering for me, and with my previously owned phantom it took away from the warmth they’re famous for.

My gf can even pick out silver vs copper. Standard stock interconnect with amp vs 16wire silver from lavricables she could tell blind test and she never listens to music except from her phone.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #6,535 of 12,035

Valid point... must keep that in mind...

got help from My daughter to swift the cable, and plug in randomly...
For Copper and Silver, yes, It can distinguish, Silver Spark & great sub bass, copper Smooth treble & Puncy Mid Bass....

Unfortunately I alrd know that my copper non Litz will not make mid recess...

anyway... Will try to blind test Janus B then...

edit : the blind test postpone...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #6,537 of 12,035
Has anyone ordered Advanced Sound Group Custom Ear tips for Solaris?

https://www.adv-sound.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips

Any feedback?
My tips for the Solaris were the first ones they ever did. So my Solaris was the one they used to design the tip. They are very comfortable but the downside is that they make the Solaris stick out even further. I had issues with the Solaris popping out of the tip and they have revised them to include more silicone around the stainless steel tip to prevent this.

Since then I've had them make tips for all of other CA IEMs. Highly recommended.

Oct 26, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #6,538 of 12,035
My tips for the Solaris were the first ones they ever did. So my Solaris was the one they used to design the tip. They are very comfortable but the downside is that they make the Solaris stick out even further. I had issues with the Solaris popping out of the tip and they have revised them to include more silicone around the stainless steel tip to prevent this.

Since then I've had them make tips for all of other CA IEMs. Highly recommended.

Great feedback. Thank you. I wanted to check to see if you can pull them out of your ear from the iem body, or if you have to grab the tip material. It sounds like they've addressed that concern.

I'll probably pick up a pair in black.

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #6,539 of 12,035
Legitimate question to the people who hear significant difference between cables:

So far, in all of the serious tests I've read about, people cannot distinguish sound differences between cables in any kind of blind test (that includes myself, both blind and sighted). So I would like to ask you, are you also able to tell cables apart in blind or ABX tests or have you never tried? Thanks!
You're opening a (huge) can of worms with that question, heh.

For me, I've never been a huge believer of cables; I think that it alters the sound a little, but nothing so major as to command a huge price tag. With that said, I have never done a double blind test on the efficacies of cables, but I am able to tell (slight) variations between cables, especially between higher-end and cheaper models. Chalk that up to bias, if you will. In any case, my major reason for buying aftermarket cables is.. aesthetics.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #6,540 of 12,035
You're opening a (huge) can of worms with that question, heh.

For me, I've never been a huge believer of cables; I think that it alters the sound a little, but nothing so major as to command a huge price tag. With that said, I have never done a double blind test on the efficacies of cables, but I am able to tell (slight) variations between cables, especially between higher-end and cheaper models. Chalk that up to bias, if you will. In any case, my major reason for buying aftermarket cables is.. aesthetics.
Well, I guess what bothers me is the fact that there is even a question of believing or not believing. I for one have not been able to hear differences between cables, but if I see proof that differences can be heard by humans I am not going to go on believing that differences are inaudible. Likewise, if the opposite is proven true, I expect someone who hears differences between cables to start looking for alternative explanations.

We're talking about pretty simple stuff here. People have been to the Moon and back (another can of worms perhaps), so are we really gonna sit here and pretend that science cannot answer this question? Of course, if my business was selling IEM cables (a set of thin metal wires wrapped in plastic) for as much as $1,000, I would invest a decent share of my profits in making sure this remains a matter of faith, not science. I guess this would fall under the category of conspiracy theory. :)

Regarding your final point, aesthetics, ergonomics, build are to me all good reasons to buy an aftermarket cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back