Campfire - Solaris
Jun 3, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #5,311 of 12,035
Hi all,

I'm a longtime Etymotic owner, currently using the ER4XR, and I use these tips:
https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER38-14F-Replacement-Eartips/dp/B0078JXDRI
My DAP is the Shanling M2s.

So I was able to try the Solaris at the fantastic e-earphone store in Tokyo :dt880smile: and I was very impressed. I'm thinking about picking up a pair, but I have a few concerns and as I'm not super-knowledgeable as an audiophile I thought I'd ask here.

- The store was noisy, and I could hear the noise. To me the ER4XR isolation, with the tips I posted a link to above in particular (I don't do well with the silicone/flange type, just the foam) is much better. Is it possible to approach the isolation of Etymotic with the Solaris? Are tips made of the same material I posted above (foam, but not the soft Comply type foam... this type is less dense and lasts longer, it's less "mushy") available for the Solaris?

And In general, are you able to get good isolation with the Solaris, for example on a commute? I'd often use them on a noisy commute. I felt like I had a good seal with the ones I tried in the store and did wear them correctly (not sure of the type of tips) but still there was a good amount of sound leakage, at least in comparison to the Etymotics.

- Any thoughts about my how my source, the Shanling M2s, pairs with the Solaris? Would I be much better off with the Shanling M3s or M5s, which I believe have balanced output (to be honest I'm not sure what that means or what the advantage would be, but I think the Solaris supports it.). I don't plan to buy an amp or a much more expensive DAP. Do you think a relatively cheap player like the Shanling is really short-changing the ability of the Solaris, or ? To me the sound was great and for sure it got loud enough, but I'm still very curious about the point of view of others here.

- For anyone who has used the ER4 series of Etymotics (I have the ER4PT and ER4XR) I'd be very curious about how you think the sound compares. I know it's a completely unfair comparison as the Solaris are many times more expensive, but anyway.

To me, the sound of the Solaris is actually similar to the excellent ER4XR, but ... enhanced in some ways. Like, the bass was a bit more rumbling and distinct, the soundstage (if I understand the term correctly) was wider, and I could just hear more. But like the Etymotics I felt like it was a very pleasant, natural and neutral sound.... treble not fatiguing, the bass not booming and overdone.

Thank you for any and all thoughts!!
I've had an er4xr and I know what you mean about how good their isolation is. I've had a lot of totl IEMs and nothing has come even close to them. Idk if ciems are better. Haven't had any of those.

Moving away from Etymotic, less isolation is just something you'll have to learn to live with, I think.

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #5,312 of 12,035
I'm sure most people will tell you differently, but I thought the Solaris sounded great from my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone and only improved a bit with a $3k player, so if you liked how the Solaris sounded with your M2s, then you don't need to buy anything else. It would be helpful to try different players though, to see if you hear differences and if they matter to you.

I want to second this as well. I jumped directly from a Galaxy S8+ to a Chord Dave and while I certainly heard a difference, the scaling-gap wasn't nearly as big as I expected (having heard that unit really improve several over-ear headphones in the recent past). From a certain perspective this could have been a disappointing result, I think it's rather good that for the end-user a ton of prestige electronics aren't necessary to get most of what Solaris has to offer.

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #5,313 of 12,035
I want to second this as well. I jumped directly from a Galaxy S8+ to a Chord Dave and while I certainly heard a difference, the scaling-gap wasn't nearly as big as I expected (having heard that unit really improve several over-ear headphones in the recent past). From a certain perspective this could have been a disappointing result, I think it's rather good that for the end-user a ton of prestige electronics aren't necessary to get most of what Solaris has to offer.
Thirded! When I owned my Solaris, I also owned a wm1a, zx300 and Samsung s9+. I was shocked to find that the s9+ had the least amount of hiss with the Solaris. I was actually a little upset about it since the DAPs had cost me so much.

Jun 3, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #5,314 of 12,035
Soundstage HiFi awarded the Solaris the best IEM of the year award. Thank you Soundstage HiFi.

201901_2018_poty.png

You can read their full review HERE.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 3, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #5,316 of 12,035
I'll probably mine this thread for tips (pun intended) on increasing comfort for those with tight canals, and failing those suggestions, I'm headed for the listings page :frowning2:
Soundstage HiFi awarded the Solaris the best IEM of the year award. Thank you Soundstage HiFi.

You can read their full review HERE.

Ken

I might be in Portland early July...will it be possible to pop in and demo a universal version of the Equinox?

Jun 3, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #5,317 of 12,035
I might be in Portland early July...will it be possible to pop in and demo a universal version of the Equinox?

Rockwell,

Please do... just call us to let us know what time and date and we will get it ready no problem.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 3, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #5,318 of 12,035
Well, I can said, I am envy and also happy to you guys who can enjoy with the current gear.

Solaris pair with Samsung Note 8 is consider neglectable Hiss, and still until now, delivery quality Bass, Amazing low Value IO, Fast GUI, easy implementation & application for Streaming apps, and the most realiable for USB output in stacking (NX4DSD, Mojo, Alo Dual Mono etc)

what is lack compare to DX220, IMHO, and based what I experienced :
- Soundstage, Wider with (or because of) layer High freq
- Hi Mid Layered, I can said Note 8 can make this sound, but less refine and resolution.
- Sub Bass, more detail and resolution, where Note 8 can still win in Quality of the punch...
- Dynamic, is it obvious? cause less power... (Low volume application plz)
- Separation, this is more on the affect of Solaris itself since its alrd good, DX220 can emphasize that.

I was said that Solaris is source dependable from DAP and also Song file. And still...

Opinion about IEM effect the biggest chunk the SQ and Sound Sig is valid point and I agree...
But it also need a DAP to make delivery that...
Its take Two to Tango...

just my 5 cent...
great discussion here...

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #5,320 of 12,035
Confirm. When I got my Solaris, I was greatly impressed with the SQ increase after I compared them with my Andromedas, a lot more than when I compared my DX208 with SP1000!

I was able to compare the Solaris to Andromedas, and also Tia Fourte, I liked the Solaris more than both, both sound-wise and fit-wise. In fairness though I spent a lot more time figuring out how to make the Solaris fit perfectly.

I've had an er4xr and I know what you mean about how good their isolation is. I've had a lot of totl IEMs and nothing has come even close to them. Idk if ciems are better. Haven't had any of those.

Moving away from Etymotic, less isolation is just something you'll have to learn to live with, I think.

Interesting comments, thanks. So on this topic... which eartips offer the absolute best isolation with the Solaris? If its custom-made ones, then what are the best for isolation after that? Is there any consensus on this?

Also...as compared to the Etymotic, how are you (or anyone) able to live with the lesser isolation of an earphone like the Solaris? When I demoed them at e-earphone, I compensated for the room noise by turning up the volume. Is that it, basically? Because the extra noise can definitely be distracting otherwise, after all it's random noise interfering with the music.

As you've used both the Solaris and the ER4XR, I'm curious about how you'd compare the sound and anything else about them.

As another general question for everyone, I'm curious about where you most often use the Solaris, or similar high end IEMs that don't isolate very well. Is this an earphone that many use at home, or at home do audiophiles generally opt for speakers or larger over the ear headphones?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #5,321 of 12,035
The Solaris is not perfect but it is one of the most natural sounding iems available. I can't find a glaring flaw. Sure some might wish for more bass like in the atlas and some might long for more sparkle like in the andromeda. I feel the Solaris is a great compromise between the two. I am not a CA fanboy I actually really dislike the cascade and don't care for the vega or atlas. But I really enjoy Solaris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 4, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #5,322 of 12,035
D08689E7-B02E-4E3E-BCB1-01838672B73C.jpeg
Decided to try some different tips. First set that came in were these generic triple flange tips. The insertion depth is quite deep with these but so far I found that they create a good seal and stay in place even when walking. Low end seems to come forward a good amount and really allows you to hear all the low end details. Highs still retain their sparkle and precision. Body in mids and vocals fill in a good amount. Even with the extreme insertion depth, sound stage still seems wide and holographic but sounds like it starts closer. Pretty happy with the initial fit. Will update after some more use. Also have spin fits, comply, dekoni and generic double flanges on the way. If anyone has any recommendations on any other tips I should try please let me know!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #5,324 of 12,035
Does anyone get driver pop routinely when inserting these? I experience this only when inserting due to my tight ears. I dont think this is an issue with the design or anything, but I'm wondering if this could harm the drivers over time.

I have another DD-BA hybrid (Fiio FH5), and those never click, even on deep insert, but the venting on the DD might be different.

Jun 4, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #5,325 of 12,035
Does anyone get driver pop routinely when inserting these? I experience this only when inserting due to my tight ears. I dont think this is an issue with the design or anything, but I'm wondering if this could harm the drivers over time.

I have another DD-BA hybrid (Fiio FH5), and those never click, even on deep insert, but the venting on the DD might be different.
I have that every time with my legend x...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back