Campfire - Solaris
May 15, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #5,146 of 12,035
Got my dx220 today. So far I'm very impressed with how detailed and layered everything was. It also seems that the 220 drains a bit of life from the recordings. Initially I thought I wasn't in the mood for listening to music but my wife confirmed the initial suspicion: extremely technical but not emotional enough (we have more or less similar tastes in music). I've read about the burn here, but I'm wondering now if I should just return it and go for zx300/wm1a instead and call it a day. The wm1a sounded very pleasing to my ears, but I decided to wait and try the new dx220 first.

May 15, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #5,147 of 12,035
Yeah, I've heard of the burn-in on iBasso's DAPs. They used to supply a cable specifically to help with this (for older models).

I'll be happy to compare the 2 once I get my hands on the DX220. Shouldn't be too long now. :)

The R6 Pro isn't very neutral to my ears. Coming from a Hugo 2, the Hiby sounds a little colored, with a slightly pronounced low end. It sounds great with the Solaris as a standalone, but the music gets a little more lush and weighty with the addition of the aforementioned CV5.

Looking forward for ur impression then.
And yes, ibasso give burn in cable
IMO, Solaris is better with Neutral DAP.

Got my dx220 today. So far I'm very impressed with how detailed and layered everything was. It also seems that the 220 drains a bit of life from the recordings. Initially I thought I wasn't in the mood for listening to music but my wife confirmed the initial suspicion: extremely technical but not emotional enough (we have more or less similar tastes in music). I've read about the burn here, but I'm wondering now if I should just return it and go for zx300/wm1a instead and call it a day. The wm1a sounded very pleasing to my ears, but I decided to wait and try the new dx220 first.
Hehehe. Here subjective play role... Better u exp urself.
o yeah, its a honest dap... so its something new, u will listen different from the song u used too listen.
Possitively, u will enjoy some track that u find usual,
but with draw back that u will find weird for the song u know.
So if u like wm1a, u are warm sound sig. DD of Solaris can accommodate that.
Do you like CFA Detail & sparky sound sig?

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #5,148 of 12,035
Hehehe. Here subjective play role... Better u exp urself.
o yeah, its a honest dap... so its something new, u will listen different from the song u used too listen.
Possitively, u will enjoy some track that u find usual,
but with draw back that u will find weird for the song u know.
So if u like wm1a, u are warm sound sig. DD of Solaris can accommodate that.
Do you like CFA Detail & sparky sound sig?

I'm stil new to this so can't often explain properly. But, yeah, I did like warm sound. A&K 15 and Sony both had that. Sparkle - not so much. Even through my phone I managed to find some tracks in my library where it was too piercing. Sony fixed that.
It's all relative, yeah. Gonna try and give Sony one more listen today if time allows. Now with 220 present to A/B them.
Cheers!

May 16, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #5,149 of 12,035
So they arrived yesterday. First thing I realised is that I absolutely hate memory wire, removed them and they sit snug in my ears with small CA foam tips. They fit me better than the Atlas surprisingly. Hadn’t had a chance to listen to them properly yet though.

EDIT : Had a good listen to them, strangely no hiss with my R6 from SE outpot. o: I'm not good with proper terms so I'll describe best I can. Compared to the Atlas, it has less bass, in Tulips by Bloc Party for example, the bass drums have less slam. However it still has a satisfying amount. Guitar, vocals are much clearer and on the Solaris. Hi-Hats, Cymbals etc are easier to separate on the Solaris. Overall, I share my opinion with @Rockwell75, I don't miss the bass from the Atlas at all. Very happy with my purchase. :D

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #5,150 of 12,035
So they arrived yesterday. First thing I realised is that I absolutely hate memory wire, removed them and they sit snug in my ears with small CA foam tips.
Yeah. Memory wire is... plain annoying. The metal prevents the cables from falling behind your ears naturally. The feeling is just ugh. My Super Litz has not been used at all - I purchased a new cable a day after I got my Solaris.

The good news is, Campfire has removed the metal guides on their new cables that are packaged with the Io and the Polaris 2. Let's hope they do the same for the rest of their lineup in future.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #5,151 of 12,035
Yeah. Memory wire is... plain annoying. The metal prevents the cables from falling behind your ears naturally. The feeling is just ugh. My Super Litz has not been used at all - I purchased a new cable a day after I got my Solaris.

The good news is, Campfire has removed the metal guides on their new cables that are packaged with the Io and the Polaris 2. Let's hope they do the same for the rest of their lineup in future.

Yes I'm using the new IO cable right now and its a remarkable improvement in terms of usability than the previous cables used by CFA (which I dont even bother using). The formed ear-hooks are perfect and the cable is very soft and looks nice.

May 16, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #5,152 of 12,035
I’m using my iPhone XS Max streaming hi res/mqa via tidal through the ifi idsd BL (bb/3D-off)connected with an apple cck and the stock Solaris cable. The problem I’m having is selecting the perfect tips. I’ve tried all that came with Solaris and found the silicone to have zero low end and thin, Midrange hollow, and too top end focused. Also bad fit and can’t keep a seal. Final type e lacking low end and slam, midrange also slightly hollow sounding with male vocals, and pretty flat top end. The stock foam tips is what I’ve been using.. amazing low end extension and slam, full liquidity make vocals, and balanced and detailed top end never boarding sibilance or peaky. The only issue is sometimes they lose seal and it’s hard to keep them comfortable. I’m looking for a tip, preferable foam that really brings out the low end and builds upon the stock foams’ slam and punch as well as extension and elevation. The more liquid/lush the midrange while still remaining detailed the better. I’m open to more air on the top end but not less that that of the stock foams. Looking into picking up a ALO CDM or the Woo WA8 to complement the Solaris get get me closer to what Im chasing. In the mean time want to rolls some tips first and try to find what I’m looking for. Please give me some recommendations and opinions, they would be greatly appreciated. Although I fear such a perfect tip does not exist!! Lol

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #5,153 of 12,035
I’m using my iPhone XS Max streaming hi res/mqa via tidal through the ifi idsd BL (bb/3D-off)connected with an apple cck and the stock Solaris cable. The problem I’m having is selecting the perfect tips. I’ve tried all that came with Solaris and found the silicone to have zero low end and thin, Midrange hollow, and too top end focused. Also bad fit and can’t keep a seal. Final type e lacking low end and slam, midrange also slightly hollow sounding with male vocals, and pretty flat top end. The stock foam tips is what I’ve been using.. amazing low end extension and slam, full liquidity make vocals, and balanced and detailed top end never boarding sibilance or peaky. The only issue is sometimes they lose seal and it’s hard to keep them comfortable. I’m looking for a tip, preferable foam that really brings out the low end and builds upon the stock foams’ slam and punch as well as extension and elevation. The more liquid/lush the midrange while still remaining detailed the better. I’m open to more air on the top end but not less that that of the stock foams. Looking into picking up a ALO CDM or the Woo WA8 to complement the Solaris get get me closer to what Im chasing. In the mean time want to rolls some tips first and try to find what I’m looking for. Please give me some recommendations and opinions, they would be greatly appreciated. Although I fear such a perfect tip does not exist!! Lol

I agree that tips are very important with Solaris...my faves are the Spiral Dots, though they fit just like the stock silicons (only more comfortable) so might not work for you. Symbios also get a lot of love with Solaris, though I've never tried them.

May 16, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #5,154 of 12,035
Hi to all Singaporeans. :)
I'm in town for the weekend and wanted to finally properly test the Solaris, where do you suggest to go?

May 17, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #5,155 of 12,035
Hi to all Singaporeans. :)
I'm in town for the weekend and wanted to finally properly test the Solaris, where do you suggest to go?

PM sent =)

May 17, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #5,156 of 12,035
20190517_175836.jpg
TGIF...

May 17, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #5,158 of 12,035
Custom Advanced Sound tips for Solaris came…

These aren’t as great as I had hoped they would be so far. They are a pain to put on since they’re silicone and not acrylic, and they dont really stay on the drivers, so you can’t really just put them on and take them off together, which makes putting it on a little hard and frustrating. I guess the good part is you can take the IEM out and have the tip stay in your ear.

I’ll have to get used to it a little more. Otherwise, they fit comfortably once you get them in correctly and sound is pretty solid with the right fit. This isn’t exactly what I dreamed it would be. Wondering if I should try the CustomArt tips instead now.

I am also much happier now than I was a month ago with using normal silicone tips with the Solaris once I figured out the one or two tips that worked for me.

Also, they fit the Campfire IO too.

IMG_20190517_114743.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #5,159 of 12,035
I agree that tips are very important with Solaris...my faves are the Spiral Dots, though they fit just like the stock silicons (only more comfortable) so might not work for you. Symbios also get a lot of love with Solaris, though I've never tried them.
Iv heard some good things about the spiral dots.. might as well give them a try although I’ve heard from some they thin out the lows and mids. Also going to order some dekoni and comply foamies.

May 17, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #5,160 of 12,035
Custom Advanced Sound tips for Solaris came…

These aren’t as great as I had hoped they would be so far. They are a pain to put on since they’re silicone and not acrylic, and they dont really stay on the drivers, so you can’t really just put them on and take them off together, which makes putting it on a little hard and frustrating. I guess the good part is you can take the IEM out and have the tip stay in your ear.

I’ll have to get used to it a little more. Otherwise, they fit comfortably once you get them in correctly and sound is pretty solid with the right fit. This isn’t exactly what I dreamed it would be. Wondering if I should try the CustomArt tips instead now.

I am also much happier now than I was a month ago with using normal silicone tips with the Solaris once I figured out the one or two tips that worked for me.

Also, they fit the Campfire IO too.

can we see when the custome advanced tips on Solaris?
when u said with IO, means it also fit with it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back