Campfire - Solaris
May 13, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #5,131 of 12,035
welcome, its back to you again... how you want to achieve Sound Sig u want?
Balanced cable can give you more dynamic in lower volume, of course with a chance of increasing Hiss.

It really back to the source, e.g. pairing with DX220 AMp1Mk2 , with Mid Gain & mango OS, Volume 8, Balanced 2.5mm, u get dynamic like in the higher volume with Unnoticeable Hiss.
If you want Darker blackground, Switch Gain to Low, but volume already 18 still not getting Dynamic like above... Based on my exp.

Thanks for the detailed answer! Did you notice any sudden pop sounds for dx220? I'm currently on a dx200 with amp4... I'm afraid of hearing damages due to those loud pop sounds... I feel like it pops more with Solaris than headphones as well...

May 13, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #5,132 of 12,035
welcome, its back to you again... how you want to achieve Sound Sig u want?
Balanced cable can give you more dynamic in lower volume, of course with a chance of increasing Hiss.

It really back to the source, e.g. pairing with DX220 AMp1Mk2 , with Mid Gain & mango OS, Volume 8, Balanced 2.5mm, u get dynamic like in the higher volume with Unnoticeable Hiss.
If you want Darker blackground, Switch Gain to Low, but volume already 18 still not getting Dynamic like above... Based on my exp.
Also probably a question I wanna ask is how much power do I need to drive Solaris to its potential? (It would be appreciated if it's referenced by daps lol

May 13, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #5,133 of 12,035
Also probably a question I wanna ask is how much power do I need to drive Solaris to its potential? (It would be appreciated if it's referenced by daps lol
OK. well, Smartphone alrd sufficient enough.
make sure u used Apps like UAPP or neutron with Flacs Song. Add ext AMP to get more detail, SS & dynamic. IO is important to the thickness of Low (Bass) u get. And also Noise background.

Going from smartphone to DAP, u will get better SS, and darker background. Also Dynamic.

Better u read this thread, is compilation of Solaris Impression...

Thanks for the detailed answer! Did you notice any sudden pop sounds for dx220? I'm currently on a dx200 with amp4... I'm afraid of hearing damages due to those loud pop sounds... I feel like it pops more with Solaris than headphones as well...
Yes still, but not as often at the beginning... its quite common for POP noise if you are streaming.
IMO, the POP is not loud for me, or prob u need to turn a bit the volume down. It takes practice to listen Low Volume, later ur brain get used to it. For me, its good for long session...

May 13, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #5,134 of 12,035
OK. well, Smartphone alrd sufficient enough.
make sure u used Apps like UAPP or neutron with Flacs Song. Add ext AMP to get more detail, SS & dynamic. IO is important to the thickness of Low (Bass) u get. And also Noise background.

Going from smartphone to DAP, u will get better SS, and darker background. Also Dynamic.

Better u read this thread, is compilation of Solaris Impression...

Thanks a lot! I finally understand. When i mean power myself and the difference. BTW, those stickers look really cool and I really like that most moody teen singer as well haha.

Yes still, but not as often at the beginning... its quite common for POP noise if you are streaming.
IMO, the POP is not loud for me, or prob u need to turn a bit the volume down. It takes practice to listen Low Volume, later ur brain get used to it. For me, its good for long session

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right...I only turn volume to 13 the maximum and play with the flac files from my sd card with WiFi off and low gain. Still experiencing the issues... Did you use lucker' fw? Or are you on mango or Android?

May 14, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #5,135 of 12,035
Thanks a lot! I finally understand. When i mean power myself and the difference. BTW, those stickers look really cool and I really like that most moody teen singer as well haha.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right...I only turn volume to 13 the maximum and play with the flac files from my sd card with WiFi off and low gain. Still experiencing the issues... Did you use lucker' fw? Or are you on mango or Android?

hehehe.. Those Teen song, actually quite good to demo Low bass quantity and Quality...

The sticker is just a reminded for myself, that u must try and exp ur self...

what exp? what are u experiencing, can you elaborate?

I always use Pure Mango OS for now... Spotify only for searching for song, better do it on smartphone, cause the Exp better.

No, I am not using Lurker fw. since Pure Mango alrd satisfying... and MQA unfold in Mango Andro can do 4x while UAPP still 2x... so I don't need Lurker fw for now...

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #5,136 of 12,035
hehehe.. Those Teen song, actually quite good to demo Low bass quantity and Quality...

The sticker is just a reminded for myself, that u must try and exp ur self...

what exp? what are u experiencing, can you elaborate?

I always use Pure Mango OS for now... Spotify only for searching for song, better do it on smartphone, cause the Exp better.

No, I am not using Lurker fw. since Pure Mango alrd satisfying... and MQA unfold in Mango Andro can do 4x while UAPP still 2x... so I don't need Lurker fw for now...

I only turn volume to 13 the maximum and play with the flac files from my sd card with WiFi off and low gain. I am still experiencing the pop sounds while switching tracks for both OS. It pops like Billie man lol

May 14, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #5,137 of 12,035
I only turn volume to 13 the maximum and play with the flac files from my sd card with WiFi off and low gain. I am still experiencing the pop sounds while switching tracks for both OS. It pops like Billie man lol
wew... quite unique and unusual... if I said the oscillator still break in, but ur DX200 suppose tobe alrd burn in. And reading ur impression of the POP seems very loud... what I exp, is not like that. probably better asked in DX200 thread.

anyway, is the Solaris new and alrd break in?
but supposedly POP is not from IEM...

since u like Billie, Try the "Copy cat" to get rumble qty, or "Belly ache" for the Dynamic.
Both was executed very good with Solaris... and very boomy with other IEM.. IMO

May 14, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #5,138 of 12,035
Finally decided to settle on solaris and very happy with it, even listening to Tidal through my phone. I listen to various genres and these iems shine at every one, while they are quite detailed, they also convey emotion capably and do not tire with all the details. It's a very classy, for a lack of another word, presentation!
I went to try several daps yesterday and am wondering what to get. Sony wm1a was my favorite by far, unfortunately, it doesn't have any streaming capabilities and besides there may be a new dap on the way later this year. Ak15 was about as good but not very comfortbale for me to use, because of it's small size. Maybe, I'll wait for ibasso 220 later this month, I heard they went a bit away from the monitor-like sound of the previous models.
I hope you guys are having a good time with your setups!
Welcome to the Solaris family!

I'm currently driving the Solaris mainly from a Hiby R6 Pro, that is, more often than not, paired with an ALO CV5. The combo is fantastic, and I'm really enjoying the earphone.

Like you, streaming is a must, so I went for the Hiby. I've also just ordered a DX220, so I'll chime in with a comparison between the 2 once the iBasso arrives (hopefully sometime next week).

May 14, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #5,139 of 12,035
Welcome to the Solaris family!

I'm currently driving the Solaris mainly from a Hiby R6 Pro, that is, more often than not, paired with an ALO CV5. The combo is fantastic, and I'm really enjoying the earphone.

Like you, streaming is a must, so I went for the Hiby. I've also just ordered a DX220, so I'll chime in with a comparison between the 2 once the iBasso arrives (hopefully sometime next week).
wow... nice...

Looking forward for the R6 pro comparison...
btw, prob u alrd aware, DX221 need to break in. prob until 75 hours.
If not trouble for you, can u compare for the Mid freq, expansion and layer.
And also Hiss...
Quite interesting about ur pairing Solaris with CV5. Since R6 pro and DX221 will have similar Sound Sig.. Neutral...

May 15, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #5,140 of 12,035
That's a bit of a difficult question to answer because the value proposition of an IEM is dependent what the IEMs' downsides are. I suppose I feel the value proposition of high priced IEMs hits like brick wall for anything more expensive than the UERM and Xelento? I don't know, its impossible to answer because I could live with the Hifiman HE-6 or Focal Utopia despite their prices. I could almost live with the Hyla CE-5 and its really exceptional bass but eventually gave up because I couldn't ignore its midrange and timbre issues.

I feel both the Z1R and Solaris have problems in their tonality and tactility that I can't completely accept. The Z1R's bass is excessive and the midrange recession is definitely noticible while the Solaris lacks attack. Addressing the Solaris' lack of attack requires me to listen at a much higher volume, which I am not going to do, and even then I still felt it was lacking in that department. Addressing the Z1R's bass is extremely easy with parametric EQ but its still a dealbreaker because there are instances where I have no access to parametric EQ. Same goes for its midrange...it doesn't bother me a whole lot but its definitely something very noticible and not something I can easily resolve unlike the bass.

So maybe saying they're too expensive for what they are is the wrong phrase to use. The more correct phrase is that both IEMs have dealbreakers I couldn't accept.
Have you heard the Anole VX? Unless you require DD, it might be up your alley. The bass is the closest I've heard to DD from a BA.

Anyway, it's somewhat reference with increased bass. It's a great all arounder.

May 15, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #5,141 of 12,035
Have you heard the Anole VX? Unless you require DD, it might be up your alley. The bass is the closest I've heard to DD from a BA.

Hey I'm wondering if you've heard the U12t/A12t. Do you have any comparisons of it to the VX's bass (and everything else as well)? Probably not the right thread for it, but I guess it's not so bad to share this information around.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #5,142 of 12,035

If I'm ever in the Seattle area we'll have to meet up for lunch or something so I can hear yours :p

May 15, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #5,143 of 12,035
Hey I'm wondering if you've heard the U12t/A12t. Do you have any comparisons of it to the VX's bass (and everything else as well)? Probably not the right thread for it, but I guess it's not so bad to share this information around.

Yeah I actually used to own one and had them both at the same time for a short while! The U12T was more bright than the Anole, which is the main reason I had started looking at other gear. The Anole has a more even FR, though the low and high end are both lifted.. at least to my ears. It is much more preferable than the U12T in that regard. Soundstage was similar, I believe. The Anole might have a deeper stage. Either way, the difference wasn't huge. The Anole has somewhat better isolation, but the U12T has a better fit. It's more shallow and easier to get in.

Now, the bass... thats where the Anole kicks its butt for sure. The U12T had good bass, but the Anole is just incredible. It goes noticeably deeper and is incredibly tight, all without lacking quantity, and that without bleeding into the mids! It's the closest I've seen to DD bass from a BA.

Some people say that the Anole can be sibilant with some tracks. I'm feel like the the tracks that people use as an example are badly recorded, so I'm not sure what to say there. They're not incredibly forgiving of bad recordings.

If I'm ever in the Seattle area we'll have to meet up for lunch or something so I can hear yours :p

That would be bad ass! I'd be curious to compare the Solaris and the Anole. It's been a while since I've heard it and wonder how my impressions of it are now.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #5,144 of 12,035
20190515_101032.jpg
Was doing Cable rotation, to Slitz SE, and find a good moment.

May 15, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #5,145 of 12,035
wow... nice...

Looking forward for the R6 pro comparison...
btw, prob u alrd aware, DX221 need to break in. prob until 75 hours.
If not trouble for you, can u compare for the Mid freq, expansion and layer.
And also Hiss...
Quite interesting about ur pairing Solaris with CV5. Since R6 pro and DX221 will have similar Sound Sig.. Neutral...
Yeah, I've heard of the burn-in on iBasso's DAPs. They used to supply a cable specifically to help with this (for older models).

I'll be happy to compare the 2 once I get my hands on the DX220. Shouldn't be too long now. :)

The R6 Pro isn't very neutral to my ears. Coming from a Hugo 2, the Hiby sounds a little colored, with a slightly pronounced low end. It sounds great with the Solaris as a standalone, but the music gets a little more lush and weighty with the addition of the aforementioned CV5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back