Campfire - Solaris
Jan 21, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #3,211 of 12,035
Something arrived in the mail today :)

I never experienced with custom tips for universal before, it’s not totally as seamless as I would have thought to put those babies on... I actually had to insert the silicon tips first and then plug the Solaris bore into them. When you take them off, no way around it they will stay stuck and you’ll have to clumsily put them out :p

Second, as pointed by @Jackpot77 who also has them, the Solaris stick out quite a bit when wearing those so on the go is pretty much a no no I guess...

Now the sound!

It’s clear that you get a much better experience from a full custom seal, the first benefit is obviously isolation which is a step better and bass, yes the Solaris bass take on a new dimension with further detail texture wise and tad more bass impact as well. I need to spend more time but I am also convinced that soundstag and imaging are better as well. I need to spend time with them now and I’ll update my review in a few days.

Now I can imagine what the Solaris would be like in CIEM form and I must say I’d love to get them! (@KB please oh please we want a sequel to the Equinox :p !)

I find if you put them on to the IEM as normal, you should be able to insert them in a twisting / corkscrew motion just like inserting a CIEM. Taking them out is just a corkscrew in the opposite direction - haven't had a tip stick in my ear yet.

They give the best sound out of all my tips on the Solaris, and even though they stick out a little further, they stay rock solid in the ear when moving around, and even make the memory wire on the cable useful. Best €50 upgrade in the IEM world, in my humble opinion. They don't work well with all my IEMs that fit the nozzle, but for the Solaris they are superb.

Are they acrylic or silicone, by the way? I have the silicone ones.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #3,212 of 12,035
@Jackpot77 Thanks for the tip, seems like I am doing it wrong I’ll try again... they’re silicon didn’t know you could get acrylic... Those work beautifully on the JVC FW10000, in fact they lock better and I can do as you describe whereas on the Solaris it’s a bit looser so harder to fit unfit with the corkscrew motion as the bore is turning very easily inside the silicon feels like coupling is loose.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #3,213 of 12,035
@Jackpot77 Thanks for the tip, seems like I am doing it wrong I’ll try again... they’re silicon didn’t know you could get acrylic... Those work beautifully on the JVC FW10000, in fact they lock better and I can do as you describe whereas on the Solaris it’s a bit looser so harder to fit unfit with the corkscrew motion as the bore is turning very easily inside the silicon feels like coupling is loose.

Hmm - mine are a snug fit, but I got them about 18 months ago for the Vega, so may be geared for a slightly different bore size. I get the looseness issue on a couple of IEMs with different nozzle shapes. Hope you get a good solution going, anyway - the semi-custom fit is definitely my favourite fit for both the Solaris and Atlas.

Will be finishing up my Solaris review this week (hopefully!), so have been swapping tips sround, but keep coming back to custom. Think I'll have to order another few sets from @piotrus-g so I can wear the Atlas and my Flares Pro 2 without tip swapping all the time!

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #3,214 of 12,035
You cannot get acrylic tips - it would be impossible to put them on the IEM.
I will send you an email regarding fit on the nozzle

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #3,215 of 12,035
Hmm - mine are a snug fit, but I got them about 18 months ago for the Vega, so may be geared for a slightly different bore size. I get the looseness issue on a couple of IEMs with different nozzle shapes. Hope you get a good solution going, anyway - the semi-custom fit is definitely my favourite fit for both the Solaris and Atlas.

Will be finishing up my Solaris review this week (hopefully!), so have been swapping tips sround, but keep coming back to custom. Think I'll have to order another few sets from @piotrus-g so I can wear the Atlas and my Flares Pro 2 without tip swapping all the time!

Yeah I’ll probably end up doing the same :)

That explains it the Vega bore is smaller than Atlas and Solaris so yours are snuggier...

You cannot get acrylic tips - it would be impossible to put them on the IEM.
I will send you an email regarding fit on the nozzle

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #3,216 of 12,035
Solaris stick out quite a bit when wearing those so on the go is pretty much a no no I guess...

Sounds like I should look elsewhere for a replacement of my SE846 (solely on-the-go use) for better sound stage.
Clearly, I don't need an IEM at home in addition to HD800S.

Never thought finding a right IEM would be this difficult.:triportsad:

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #3,217 of 12,035
Campfire Audio Solaris-DSCF3440_.jpg

Guess what I've been doing? Someone asked me for more info about how the Atlas compares, so I'll shoot a video with impressions.

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #3,219 of 12,035
Sounds like I should look elsewhere for a replacement of my SE846 (solely on-the-go use) for better sound stage.
Clearly, I don't need an IEM at home in addition to HD800S.

Never thought finding a right IEM would be this difficult.:triportsad:

Andromeda S. I upgraded my SE846 to the Andro S and am rocking them for on-the-go use, including gym. Serious improvement in soundstage and clarity, not to mention musicality. Love them.

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #3,222 of 12,035
Something arrived in the mail today :)

I never experienced with custom tips for universal before, it’s not totally as seamless as I would have thought to put those babies on... I actually had to insert the silicon tips first and then plug the Solaris bore into them. When you take them off, no way around it they will stay stuck and you’ll have to clumsily put them out :p

Second, as pointed by @Jackpot77 who also has them, the Solaris stick out quite a bit when wearing those so on the go is pretty much a no no I guess...

Now the sound!

It’s clear that you get a much better experience from a full custom seal, the first benefit is obviously isolation which is a step better and bass, yes the Solaris bass take on a new dimension with further detail texture wise and tad more bass impact as well. I need to spend more time but I am also convinced that soundstag and imaging are better as well. I need to spend time with them now and I’ll update my review in a few days.

Now I can imagine what the Solaris would be like in CIEM form and I must say I’d love to get them! (@KB please oh please we want a sequel to the Equinox :p !)

Apologies if this has been answered before, but who did you have create those custom tips?

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #3,223 of 12,035
Apologies if this has been answered before, but who did you have create those custom tips?

The great people at Custom Art!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back