Campfire - Solaris
Jan 20, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #3,196 of 12,035
Are there any EU stockists for the reference 8 at all? I am worried if I ship it from the US i'll get murdered on Customs..

Also @davidmolliere, headpie should loan you his special edition Cayin 8, the picture opportunity is too good to miss!!

Ref 8 cable is very good. But very, I mean VERY microphonic, just a heads up :D

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #3,197 of 12,035

Totally agree, so much so I returned mine to the retailer for this reason. Yet on ALO Audio's website it says " microphonics to the minimum" but I would hate to think what maximum would be!

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #3,198 of 12,035
So... I have been spending some quality time with Hiby R6 Pro and the pairing with Solaris is very very good. I’ll be updating my review once I have some more time with it (along with iDSD Micro BL). I’ll also provide a comparison to JVC FW10000 :D

Compared to 1Z, the R6 Pro is quite neutral, with great transparency and clarity which brings additional air and benefits imaging. Soundstage isn’t as grandiose though, the 1Z still has the edge in height and is significantly taller while width and depth is fairly similar. 1Z has more body and weight and is overall thicker.

The R6 Pro provides a lot of headroom pushing a whopping 750mW @32ohm balanced and it shows. It also features a much lower output impedance at 0.28 ohm vs 0.94 ohm balanced for 1Z. Bass is meatier with a tad more mid bass, a snappier attack and sub bass can be downright thunderous on bass heavy genres while not loosing control either. Mids are smoother and more balanced, with a tad more lower mids and less upper mids emphasis compared to 1Z. Highs are a bit less energetic compared to 1Z the lower treble energy looses a little bit (I like 1Z better there) but upper treble have a bit more presence.

All in all, I like the R6 Pro pairing just as much as the 1Z, both highlights different facets of the Solaris.

@twister6 I’d love to get your impressions on the Solaris pairing with Cayin N8 by the way :D

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #3,199 of 12,035
So... I have been spending some quality time with Hiby R6 Pro and the pairing with Solaris is very very good. I’ll be updating my review once I have some more time with it (along with iDSD Micro BL). I’ll also provide a comparison to JVC FW10000 :D

Compared to 1Z, the R6 Pro is quite neutral, with great transparency and clarity which brings additional air and benefits imaging. Soundstage isn’t as grandiose though, the 1Z still has the edge in height and is significantly taller while width and depth is fairly similar. 1Z has more body and weight and is overall thicker.

The R6 Pro provides a lot of headroom pushing a whopping 750mW @32ohm balanced and it shows. It also features a much lower output impedance at 0.28 ohm vs 0.94 ohm balanced for 1Z. Bass is meatier with a tad more mid bass, a snappier attack and sub bass can be downright thunderous on bass heavy genres while not loosing control either. Mids are smoother and more balanced, with a tad more lower mids and less upper mids emphasis compared to 1Z. Highs are a bit less energetic compared to 1Z the lower treble energy looses a little bit (I like 1Z better there) but upper treble have a bit more presence.

All in all, I like the R6 Pro pairing just as much as the 1Z, both highlights different facets of the Solaris.

@twister6 I’d love to get your impressions on the Solaris pairing with Cayin N8 by the way :D
20181217_170352.jpg

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #3,200 of 12,035
Jan 20, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #3,201 of 12,035
For sure. It's perfect for in flight use. I gave my Bose QC to a friend after getting SE846.

What would I miss if I choose Andromeda over Solaris?
Seems Campfire doesn't want to explore the South Korean market. No dealer here, dang.....

CA should be getting a new distributor here! They said keep an eye out around the new year, so hoping it’s soon. IMO gsoundlab wasn’t the best distributor...

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #3,203 of 12,035

Totally agree, so much so I returned mine to the retailer for this reason. Yet on ALO Audio's website it says " microphonics to the minimum" but I would hate to think what maximum would be!

Yup, Ref8 is the most microphonic cable that I owned... but still the best cable in term SQ increase with SOLARIS, even POLARIS (Mid boost)....
took me 1 month to get use to the microphonic effect...

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #3,204 of 12,035
Whichever potential distributors here CA may be playing a tug of war with, I only hope they'd strike a deal in no time. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

My hope is that the new distributor doesn’t jack up prices like crazy. I know the market here is smaller than the one in Japan, but it was over $1500 for Andromeda here.

Noble’s new distributor seems to be doing better with pricing (the K10 Encore is ~$400 cheaper), so hopefully Campfire’s new distributor is the same way.

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #3,205 of 12,035
My hope is that the new distributor doesn’t jack up prices like crazy. I know the market here is smaller than the one in Japan, but it was over $1500 for Andromeda here.

Noble’s new distributor seems to be doing better with pricing (the K10 Encore is ~$400 cheaper), so hopefully Campfire’s new distributor is the same way.

Amen to that.

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #3,206 of 12,035
Sorry, N8 was a short term loaner for review. I don't have it anymore.

Too bad, I guess it wouldn’t have been a bad pairing!

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #3,207 of 12,035
So I take it the ref 8 from ALO Audio is the best bet for an upgrade to performance ( particularly bass) on the Solaris?

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #3,208 of 12,035
So I take it the ref 8 from ALO Audio is the best bet for an upgrade to performance ( particularly bass) on the Solaris?
hmmm yes and No...

Yes, it will increase overall in Low, Mid, High, SS.

No, the Bass will be the less upgrade...

IMO, based my exp, Solaris with Copper cable will be the way for bass, with compensation SS will be narrowed, and again IMO, I dont felt the Space create when u using stock cable (Super Litz). That what I feel

edit : the QTY of Bass, based on my ear, Solaris with Copper cable, will never match Atlas... IMO. but Solaris Sub bass still better then other. ..

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #3,209 of 12,035
Something arrived in the mail today :)

CA28279C-7CC3-42D1-A794-3E356F9172FB.jpeg

I never experienced with custom tips for universal before, it’s not totally as seamless as I would have thought to put those babies on... I actually had to insert the silicon tips first and then plug the Solaris bore into them. When you take them off, no way around it they will stay stuck and you’ll have to clumsily put them out :p

Second, as pointed by @Jackpot77 who also has them, the Solaris stick out quite a bit when wearing those so on the go is pretty much a no no I guess...

Now the sound!

It’s clear that you get a much better experience from a full custom seal, the first benefit is obviously isolation which is a step better and bass, yes the Solaris bass take on a new dimension with further detail texture wise and tad more bass impact as well. I need to spend more time but I am also convinced that soundstag and imaging are better as well. I need to spend time with them now and I’ll update my review in a few days.

Now I can imagine what the Solaris would be like in CIEM form and I must say I’d love to get them! (@KB please oh please we want a sequel to the Equinox :p !)

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #3,210 of 12,035
Something arrived in the mail today :)

I never experienced with custom tips for universal before, it’s not totally as seamless as I would have thought to put those babies on... I actually had to insert the silicon tips first and then plug the Solaris bore into them. When you take them off, no way around it they will stay stuck and you’ll have to clumsily put them out :p

Second, as pointed by @Jackpot77 who also has them, the Solaris stick out quite a bit when wearing those so on the go is pretty much a no no I guess...

Now the sound!

It’s clear that you get a much better experience from a full custom seal, the first benefit is obviously isolation which is a step better and bass, yes the Solaris bass take on a new dimension with further detail texture wise and tad more bass impact as well. I need to spend more time but I am also convinced that soundstag and imaging are better as well. I need to spend time with them now and I’ll update my review in a few days.

Now I can imagine what the Solaris would be like in CIEM form and I must say I’d love to get them! (@KB please oh please we want a sequel to the Equinox :p !)

Still I envy you.. (grudge from neighbors thread)

BTW, that's a good looking cable you have there....

@duaned ask David, that Hansound is single crystal Copper cable... compare to stock

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back