Campfire - Solaris
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #2,701 of 12,035
Since crin is coming back to Australia, he can measure the demo here also. But what if, it's a big IF alright. There's also a varience with it.

Dun dun dun. Is CFA qc to fault? Or is it crin. I would think it's the first. I only tried the one in australia so far and I'll be back in Singapore around January and will be trying the other Solaris units as well. If it sounds different what should I do. Does Singapore just have a bad batch or does australia also have a bad batch. I'm eager to find out.
You guys are acting like this is biggest scandal since the invasion of Iraq.
If you listen to the set in Australia and like it, buy the damn thing. If the one in Sri Lanka suits you better, get that one.
The only set you should be concerned with is the one you have in front of you.
The vast majority of the people that actually have the Solaris really really really really really like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #2,702 of 12,035
I just found out from bluedit (change blue to red) that the bad sounding sample is from somerset313, which I tested and enjoyed. This meant my ears is flawed and eardrum need additional 200hrs burn in. Maybe need copper cable too.

If it's not too much trouble, could you go down to both zeppelin and co and E1 personal audio to try the
Which iem hits hats, hits deep ?

That would be the hyla ce5. But alas it has next to no mids. So it's out of the question for me.

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #2,703 of 12,035
If you listen to the set in Australia and like it, buy the damn thing. If the one in Sri Lanka suits you better, get that one.
The vast majority of the people that actually have the Solaris really really really really really like it.

Thing is...you cant buy the demo that sits in front of you. You're going to get a new, wrapped and sealed box. Whether it will sound the same as what you have just demoed is the issue here.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #2,704 of 12,035

Err, you do know that what the demo sounds like may not be what you get right?

Lets say you burn it in for the same time as the demo. What if the fr is different or there's a difference.

OwO, what to do?

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #2,705 of 12,035
You better really really really really really like something you just spent that amount of money on :blush:

And regarding subjective Solaris impressions. I've posted it before but after a 2nd listen, this time I also squeezed in the Legend X, N8 as hybrid comparisons.

Let's just say imo the Solaris is much more natural sounding than both of those, bass is higher quality imo than the Legend X but not N8. Bass quantity less than both. Better mids and highs than both. I'd argue it has superior technicalities (imaging, stage, separation) to both of them as well. And less pricey than both? Lmao (granted, the N8 is CIEM only).

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #2,706 of 12,035
If it's not too much trouble, could you go down to both zeppelin and co and E1 personal audio to try the

That would be the hyla ce5. But alas it has next to no mids. So it's out of the question for me.
I borrowed the 10 driver Hyla but that one was bass light.

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #2,707 of 12,035

My concern is not the SQ but the fit. I’m happy with supposingly bad sounding example. I’m not the kind of head-fier who dissect the music and analyse it spectrum by spectrum. I like what sound right to my ear and Solaris managed that.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy one? I’m surprised no one poisoned me to buy one. That’s a first on Head-fi!

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #2,708 of 12,035
My concern is not the SQ but the fit. I’m happy with supposingly bad sounding example. I’m not the kind of head-fier who dissect the music and analyse it spectrum by spectrum. I like what sound right to my ear and Solaris managed that.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy one? I’m surprised no one poisoned me to buy one. That’s a first on Head-fi!
With the way QC is looking, buy 5 Solaris, burn 'em all in, do a 1v1 tournament to determine which is best. Keep one and return 4.

Dec 27, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #2,709 of 12,035
You hate the Solaris. You are never going to buy it, what are you so worried about?

So do you acknowledge the fact that the sound will vary from the demo? We just want a simple yes or no.

I borrowed the 10 driver Hyla but that one was bass light.

That's the nerva X, it's a 10 ba iem. You don't expect ba to have good bass do you? The one I like is the CE5. It's the purple hybrid iem.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #2,710 of 12,035
As I have said before, the Solaris is nothing special and not worth the asking price. Has there been another IEM that has stirred up so much controversy?

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #2,711 of 12,035
As I have said before, the Solaris is nothing special and not worth the asking price. Has there been another IEM that has stirred up so much controversy?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, those who like it as well as those who don’t :)

The Phantom comes to mind, I must be attracted and love controversial IEMs for some reason :p

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #2,712 of 12,035
That's the nerva X, it's a 10 ba iem. You don't expect ba to have good bass do you? The one I like is the CE5. It's the purple hybrid iem.
Well they can if done correctly. My Fitear 335 hits pretty hard and deep.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #2,713 of 12,035
Well they can if done correctly. My Fitear 335 hits pretty hard and deep.
They must be amazing! I have never heard a BA IEM that can compete with a DD or Hybrid for sheer bass quantity and extension.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #2,714 of 12,035
They must be amazing! I have never heard a BA IEM that can compete with a DD or Hybrid for sheer bass quantity and extension.
Hits hard, harder than most BA iems even harder than a few DD iems. Obvious no match for the TH900 , I have seven pairs of them for the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back