Campfire - Solaris
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #2,686 of 12,035
That's what we have been saying, it's not about accuracy it's consistency but this falls on deaf ears apparently.

Thanks for clarifying, I didn’t read it that way initially, bear with me (at least you’re not calling me swine, thanks :wink: )

Edit : And apparently I was not so wrong after all if you read KB statement... so there is that :D

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #2,687 of 12,035
The specific unit you tried? Maybe you should just pick up that pair at a good price then hahaha.

I just found out from bluedit (change blue to red) that the bad sounding sample is from somerset313, which I tested and enjoyed. This meant my ears is flawed and eardrum need additional 200hrs burn in. Maybe need copper cable too.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #2,688 of 12,035
Lol why are people questioning the neutrality of @crinacle's approach? Or the consistency? Now, of all times? The guy has measured 100s of IEMs with zero complaints and now he gets called into question?

He loves the Andro and Andro S, which are both Campfire products. In my opinion, he doesn't have an agenda.

What is so surprising about unit variation? That's a known phenomenon. And I'm not seeing channel matching issues in the Solaris measurements anyway lol...
The variation is not surprising but for 1.5k you would expect a good level of QC won't you? The problem is now we don't know which unit is representative of the Solaris due to said variances, that is the main issue.

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #2,689 of 12,035
Do you own or even ever try Solaris or any other CA product? Just asking, you keep dodging answering this question.

Myself, I own Andro S, haven’t had a chance to try Solaris yet, the closest dealer is more than 1000 km from me. Bought Andro S because the high praised from this site, and boy it’s right.
Bro, If I go to PULAU DEWATA, Let's meet... Will let you try mine... Already burn almost 100 hours, found the signature different from the first time I listen out of the box...
IMO, really Source Dependence... now I can differentiate 16 and 24 bit with this IEM.... and make me looking for better DAP... and also Spotify is not full filling my ear....

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #2,690 of 12,035
That's what we have been saying, it's not about accuracy it's con but this falls on deaf ears apparently.
I've been saying the same thing. The sets are accurately inconsistent. On both channels.
The variances between all 3 pairs are huge, and yet they show no L/R imbalance.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #2,691 of 12,035
Out of 11 IEMs on crin's list, I agree with 9 out of 11 for sound signature description and 8 out of 11 on grading order. I trust his opinion for the most part, but there's guys that I PM that have similar source equipment as me and buy similar IEMs and full sized headphones that I get their opinions before buying anything.

If you guys disagree with his list that's fine. I'd like to see some of you make your own threads grading what you heave owned and demoed and to list your source gear and what music was used. I find those types of threads to be helpful when deciding between different things to buy. I used to be the early adopter type of buyer, but I got burned too many times so I now wait for multiple reviews to make a decision.

There are 2 reasons why I will likely pass on the Solaris. The first is that it's too sensitive and I just got the Hugo tt2 for Christmas so I'd expect it to hiss a lot on it the second is that several people have said that speed is not a strong suit. I guess a third reason could be that some have said that it doesn't play well with Asian female singers. Unless I can audition these somewhere or rent them (I wish someone would rent out totl gear to help make buying decisions easier) I am not going to gamble on these playing well with my source.
In Hong Kong many who love listening to Asian female singers dislike heavy bass. Many have said they dislike bass period. Around here they like the Andro.

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #2,692 of 12,035
As far as product variances go, Crinacle's two sample measurements of the Polaris indicate that there's also some degree of product variance there too. Good channel matching between pairs, different measurements between different pairs. So there's an argument to be made that there's precedence for product variance in Campfire's hybrids, just no one cared enough about the Polaris for that to matter.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #2,693 of 12,035
The variation is not surprising but for 1.5k you would expect a good level of QC won't you? The problem is now we don't know which unit is representative of the Solaris due to said variances, that is the main issue.
Oh definitely when you consider the price, I'm actually expecting perfection from every single IEM, in a perfect world.

But I guess, in reality, the market has accepted unit variation as a part of the manufacturing process, so here we are today.

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #2,697 of 12,035
In Hong Kong many who love listening to Asian female singers dislike heavy bass. Many have said they dislike bass period. Around here they like the Andro.
That explains a lot.

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #2,698 of 12,035
Based on what? Three measurements in Singapore?
The left right channel on the pair he dislikes match up very very closely.
If the volume of the chamber was of issue, that would also throw off the DD because of the air expansion.
I am still trying to figure out, how you have variances of upwards of 15db and still ship out almost identical matching sets.

This is getting fishy.. just saying.

Since crin is coming back to Australia, he can measure the demo here also. But what if, it's a big IF alright. There's also a varience with it.

Dun dun dun. Is CFA qc to fault? Or is it crin. I would think it's the first. I only tried the one in australia so far and I'll be back in Singapore around January and will be trying the other Solaris units as well. If it sounds different what should I do. Does Singapore just have a bad batch or does australia also have a bad batch. I'm eager to find out.

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #2,700 of 12,035
That doesn't explain much. I like good hard hitting bass and smooth forward textured Vocals. Regarding the solaris, the upper mids sounds plastic like it's sung through a tube. And has a weird tonality. The bass dosen't hit hard enough for me.
Which iem hits hats, hits deep ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back