Campfire - Solaris
Dec 8, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #2,116 of 12,035
Edit, meant to reply to @BananaOoyoo

It is bigger than the andro, but that doesn't mean it won't fit.

Andros fit me pretty well, but I have small ears and was worried about the fit of the Solaris. Once I got them, they fit fine, though they do stick out.

I also picked up the Vegas on black Friday. I was looking forward to using them on the go since they're so much smaller. Unfortunately, they actually don't fit me as well as the Solaris or andros.

All that to say, if fit is your concern, don't let that be the one deciding factor, because they may fit better than you think.

I may end up selling my Vegas because the fit just doesn't work for me.

Thanks! The good thing is that I don’t have to guess on fit because they’ll be available locally probably by the beginning of the year or so. Polaris was never available here, so I took a leap of faith on it (and was pretty satisfied), but Caleb confirmed that Solaris would be making its way here :)

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #2,117 of 12,035
Got the Solaris for almost a month. On an average, they sound better than all other iems I have or had owned. And compete well with the full sized cans in many aspects. (checkout the sig). Notice the key word is "on an average".

One thing seems to get talked a lot about Solaris is the hiss. I don't recommend the iematch cable from ifi as a solution based on the experience with the iematch port from the nano idsd BL, presumably based on identical or very close approximation to the cable implementation.

I can confirm the following: (assuming a very quiet room)
Samsung Note 9-> Solaris.
Very noticeable hiss. And the hiss is very uneven, almost like some kind of static interference. However this does not bother me on other genera besides Jazz and classical (only talking about the hiss here, not the SQ of Note 9).

Samsung Note 9-> Dragon fly red -> Solaris. Significant hiss reduction, and the hiss becomes very even and just some weak fine grained noise. still easily audible when there's no music playing but I'm ok with this level

Samsung note 9 -> Ifi nano idsd BL -> Solaris.
On the iematch port, the hiss is almost gone but still audible when there's no music playing. However, the iematch changes the sound too much, for the worse.
Out of the direct port, the hiss is at least as good as the Dragonfly. The sound is way better than the iematch port.
I have an S8, just picked up my Solaris today and there is a noticable hiss in the background on low volume. Once the music is turned up I can't tell, still dissapointing though. I was planning on getting an IEMatch for this issue, but I don't want to buy one if what you say is true.

Has anyone noticed hiss with the V40 and the Solaris?

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #2,118 of 12,035
I have an S8, just picked up my Solaris today and there is a noticable hiss in the background on low volume. Once the music is turned up I can't tell, still dissapointing though. I was planning on getting an IEMatch for this issue, but I don't want to buy one if what you say is true.

Unless I got a ifi nano idsd BL with a defective iematch port, which I highly doubt because it indeed nearly eliminates the hiss, I certainly would not use the iematch thing, at least for Solaris or Andromeda due to the sound change. Things just sound so thin compared to the direct port or dragonfly red.

The most noticeable change in sound from the iematch port is the bass. Other than "thin", the closest words I can think of is that it makes a drum hit sound more like a cymbal hit, well may not be that extreme, but certainly more metallic kinda sound.

The cable adapter iematch could be different, or even the micro idsd, than the nano, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #2,119 of 12,035

The cable adapter iematch could be different, or even the micro idsd, than the nano, but I doubt it.

@zmhaha findings sounds similar to what I find using the adapter iematch (both High and Ultra mode). Hiss is gone so is some of the magic that makes Solaris sound great.

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #2,121 of 12,035
Not got round to testing it yet so don't have a personal take (although I do own one, so will try it at some point this weekend just to see), but the IEMatch will affect the z-out of the source as well as damping the hiss/noise. It's still pretty low, but if you are using an ultra-low OI source then adding IEMatch, it won't be surprising to lose a little low end and add some brightness as the impedance is increased, as that is what typically happens with the Andro. CA tend to use driver setups with a particular impedance curve that sound thicker and bassier with low OI and thinner with higher OI sources.

Just supposition as I haven't tried the IEMatch yet - will add some more comments when I have.

In terms of hiss, the V30 is very quiet with the Solaris, so imagine the V40 will be similar as the amp/dac setup is the same, just tuned slightly differently. Cayin N5IIS is also extremely quiet with the Solaris (pretty good pairing in both SE and balanced).

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #2,122 of 12,035
1Z is dead quiet with the Solaris, no hiss whatsoever.

1Z with CV5 has a little hiss but really not a concern for me, DX120 has noticeable hiss especially balanced.

Dec 8, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #2,123 of 12,035
I can confirm the following: (assuming a very quiet room)
Samsung Note 9-> Solaris.
Very noticeable hiss. And the hiss is very uneven, almost like some kind of static interference. However this does not bother me on other genera besides Jazz and classical (only talking about the hiss here, not the SQ of Note 9).
I don't own the Solaris, but the S9 is my only "DAP" with the Andromeda S. The Andro is known for hissing and that has been my experience using different music player apps, including Stellio. However, hiss has been dramatically reduced when I switched to the USB Audio Player Pro app. To be honest, I didn't notice the change initially, but when I went back to Stellio (because I much prefer its UI for basic listening out of the phone) the presence of hiss was ultra obvious. With UAPP I can listen at any volume I want now (i.e. as quiet as I want) and while the hiss is not completely gone, it's not something that I tend to notice anymore.

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #2,124 of 12,035

Had the same issue with the S8+....With the V40 I hear absoutely no hiss (or its so low I dont notice it)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #2,125 of 12,035
918CEDD5-65C4-4A90-9B42-DBE95A09F8A1.jpeg steady state noise is calming, it’s when the noise is “dirty” that it offends. in any case, it’s the source not that transducer that is at fault, no point shooting the messenger or the iem, in this instance.

Attachments

• 50DDF215-83EB-4009-B7F4-6E6D8FEC2A62.jpeg
    50DDF215-83EB-4009-B7F4-6E6D8FEC2A62.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 8, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #2,126 of 12,035
Anyone use the Solaris with Apple -lightning dongle to use with iPhone Xs Max or iPhone X and hear hiss?

This would be a deal breaker as this type of background noise is something I’m ultra sensitive too. TIA

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,129 of 12,035
Guys checking in with iematch and solaris out of cv5. Solaris has some hiss on quiet passages directly out of sp1000 but its not too bad, nonetheless still there. I can't listen to it directly out of cv5 as there is too much hiss. However, iematch I'm listening to it out of cv5 and sp1000 and hiss is a completely gone on ultra mode. I wouldn't use it directly out of sp1000 but so far I am loving the iematch and it taking away the hiss. With hiss I focus on that instead of the music so I'm glad I have this device.

For those few quiet piano albums I have I think this is a great device.

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #2,130 of 12,035
I'm using the Note 9 and there is virtually no hiss from the Solaris. Actually pretty happy with the sound overall using Plex as the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back