Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #947 of 1,063
I'm a happy man...
1000014584.jpg

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #948 of 1,063
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #950 of 1,063
I'm a happy man...
1000014584.jpg
Finally pulled the trigger, I would assume this is the best multiple DD IEM, and make the best out of your code 24 as well.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #951 of 1,063
@emdeevee - what does the trifecta do that the IER-Z1R doesn't. I'm assuming overall scale, but tonally and timbre?
That's a hard thing to pin down. Of the two, Z1R is probably the safer bet for an all arounder iem, but there are many other great all arounders at that price point that rival or exceed Z1R today. If anything, Z1R and Trifecta are more complimentary, as they are really so different. Interestingly, both have tunings that have not been duplicated in any other iems I've heard.
Finally pulled the trigger, I would assume this is the best multiple DD IEM, and make the best out of your code 24 as well.
I haven't even tried that yet, but considering I have the ConX with it, I guess I should!

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #953 of 1,063
I haven't even tried that yet, but considering I have the ConX with it, I guess I should!
Yes! would love to hear your opinions on this combo. My assumption, if i may be so bold, is that the treble region really doesn't need the coloring that the Code24 offers. This coloring/energy is only something I've heard uttered by reviewers/owners of the cable. Please, if you do give impressions on the combo, id be most interested in your opinion on this region.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #954 of 1,063
Happy Easter everybody! 🐣

Thanks to my friend @Leonarfd I have been able to enjoy the Bonneville for some time. A musical, big, bold, fun sounding IEM for sure! I have to admit I had some scepticism about the Bonneville caused by the unreliable thrust in graphs, which looked a bit wonky. No reason for this on my part at least. My ears and brain just hear smooth sweet sound! It have extra quantity in both ends of the frequency range for me. The mids and highs are just perfect for me. The bass is the slightest amount more than my preference, but in no way wrong. Thanks to another friend I could compare Bonneville to its older sibling Andromeda Gold ti, which with its BA bass is just my preference. The familiarity between these two is evident to me, with the Bonneville having the rounder deeper DD bass, and some more extension up top. Both are great, guess maybe most would prefer the Bonneville. I was also skeptical about the Time Stream cable, after a not so great experience with the much cheaper 7Hz Sonus flat cable, but once again my skepticism was put to shame, since this is supple and comfortable and an aesthetically perfect match to the IEM’s.

I am surely not a photographer, but here is an image of the two IEM’s together. You will have to read Leonard’s review to see beautiful pictures of the Bonneville😅.

IMG_3339.jpeg

All in all this has been a really great experience, and I am not looking forward to giving the Bonneville back😅. I was lucky to have this some weeks before and continue to keep them over Easter holidays, and thereby plenty of time to enjoy them. Keeping one eye on the classified’s😄.

Thank you Leonard!

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #956 of 1,063
So, I'm gonna give CFA another try! Found a good deal on a gently used Solaris 2020 that will be arriving Wed or Thurs. I've never heard them so, looking forward to trying them with a couple of the nice 4.4mm mmcx cables I've picked up in the past year.
Solaris 2020 arrived, been listening to familiar favorites that offer wide range of sounds. I can certainly hear the similarity to the Dorado 2020, which isn't surprising since they both have similar drivers. Solaris 2020 has 3 BAs for mids and treble, but it only a little upper mid/lower treble boost over the Dordao, IMO -- not as dark sounding as the Dorado.

I'll play with them a while, maybe get a better MMCX 4.4mm cable to get a richer output. Also thinking about getting a Moondrop Dawn Pro. I haven't used a separate amp since moving to primarily IEMs instead of full HPs.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #957 of 1,063
I understand why some folks don't love it, but I do not for the life of me understand the hate it gets in some quarters or why some folks have made a religion out of trumpeting their dislike for it.

In my opinion a lot of the controversy around it stems from the fact that it's an unapologetic and pure manifestation of a quintessentially American tuning aesthetic, which completely flies in the face of many of the trends in recent years that have placed an emphasis on more "eastern" tuning approaches that emphasize top end air, detail and clarity above all.
Their mileage with the Trifecta hits negative numbers :) I can't deny I couldn't deal with Bonneville's or Ronin's tuning, the former sounded totally in the opposite direction of what I subjectively enjoy. Sometimes this discussion is handled in a gentleman's way a'la "this is brilliant but I like this" from Top Gear. And sometimes it's handled in a less mature way, "I don't like it so it shouldn't exist!"

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #958 of 1,063
Their mileage with the Trifecta hits negative numbers :) I can't deny I couldn't deal with Bonneville's or Ronin's tuning, the former sounded totally in the opposite direction of what I subjectively enjoy. Sometimes this discussion is handled in a gentleman's way a'la "this is brilliant but I like this" from Top Gear. And sometimes it's handled in a less mature way, "I don't like it so it shouldn't exist!"
Trifecta and other IEM models seems to have also "some folks" who "have made a religion out of trumpeting their" LIKE as much as their "dislike for it".
Many, on BOTH sides, are forgetting that listening is a highly subjective experience, that personal preferences are just personal and that zealot attitudes should have no place in this hobby...

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #960 of 1,063
I had gone off my recently purchased Solaris Mercury after battling fit, comfort and source compatibility issues for some weeks.

I eventually discovered that with a proper awareness of the insertion angle to properly align with my ear canal I got a deeper fit, could use a smaller tip and had a more secure fit with better longer term comfort since the fat tips were not wedged in by ear holes !

Seems obvious but for some reason it felt like I was inserting them normally but after seeing images of fit of the Solaris rotated well forward I tried that and the fit improved significantly.

With appropriate sources the hiss is gone and the different output impedance alters the sound a little making it preferable for my taste. IFi Go Bar and Gryphon work great for me.

With that sorted I can just get on with listening and enjoying and they do sound great.

IMG_0352.jpeg

IMG_0353.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back