Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
Mar 20, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #901 of 1,063
Only gripe with the Bonneville is that it still has a tiny bit of mid-bass bloat than I'd have liked. But the rest of it sounded fantastic, probably in the top 5 IEM's I've ever heard (not an exhaustive list).

Tip roll and cable roll and you'll eliminate this issue completely

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #902 of 1,063
Cascara has more bass, and consequently delicious note weight and physicality. Black Star’s bass is more controlled, textured and retains detail better in the lowest registers, although when pushed, it’s clear enough they are brothers from the same mother.

I don’t own Bonneville but I recall that its bass sounds like a more athletic version of Cascara’s with stronger technicalities. Overall it’s more spacious, detailed and textured. I like it. Upper harmonics are a pleasure, and mids and treble in particular come across as being more resolving than Black Star.

Black Star is more coherent though - it was immediately apparent to me that there are 2 or possibly more different drivers at work in Bonneville. Others have mentioned that it can be attenuated by cable rolling… and while Black Star sounds pretty coherent with its stock cable, I’ve realised that some pairings can show up its seams.

Black Star also has what I hear as the most dimensional staging, in particular the clearest expression of depth and height among the 3. Quite addictive, and one of the things I like most about it.
I agree with this, in particular regarding the staging on Black Star. It is very different from Bonneville which seems more wide and linear, where BS seems more holographic from the floor to ceiling. BS is a great all-arounder and a super deal.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #903 of 1,063
Got this little EP on repeat with Bonneville while doing some writing for a review, want more than 4 tracks as this is really nice stuff. Downtempo Hiphop Electronica fusion of sorts.
Shipping Bonneville to some friends soon so they can also experience the addictive sound, will be missed meanwhile :beyersmile:

I really did this record, thx for the sharing!

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #904 of 1,063
First time getting a chance to finally hear a Campfire IEM, courtesy of @Rockwell75 tour. I have to say that I am quite impressed.

The Bonneville does heavy duty blackened death/doom very well. The low end digs deeeep with bass drum kicks, guitars have a chunky weight and warmth to them and cymbals have just enough bite to cut through the sludge but without any fatigue. These stand quite tall in their respective price bracket (and beyond), I’d say. Nicely Done!

Not typically a fan of purple / pink but these look pretty cool and they match this album cover bang on.

IMG_5464.jpeg

Now wanting to hear Black Star and Trifecta…

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #905 of 1,063
First time getting a chance to finally hear a Campfire IEM, courtesy of @Rockwell75 tour. I have to say that I am quite impressed. The Bonneville does heavy duty blackened death/doom very well. The low end digs deeeep with bass drum kicks, guitars have a chunky weight and warmth to them and cymbals have just enough bite to cut through the sludge but without any fatigue. These stand quite tall in their respective price bracket (and beyond), I’d say. Nicely Done! Not typically a fan of purple / pink but these look pretty cool and they match this album cover bang on. Now wanting to hear Black Star and Trifecta…
Nice looking set-up, may I ask what kinda cable that is?!?!

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #906 of 1,063
Nice looking set-up, may I ask what kinda cable that is?!?!
The cable came with another IEM I own - the 634ears 9iNE from Japan. The wire is copper with silver plated coating. Unsure of the manufacturer / brand. It's the only MMCX terminated cable I own with a 4.4mm balanced connector so I stuck it on Bonneville. Synergy seems quite good!

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #908 of 1,063
I listened to the same album today on the Black Star, sooo good 🤘
Nice! It’s a killer album.

How do you find Black Star with metal in general? Enough bass presence to give drum kicks substantial oomph?

I’m finding Bonneville’s bass to be very satisfying. A smidge of encroachment into the lower mids but not in a bad way.

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #909 of 1,063
Hi to all...... I cant talk to anyone around here as were all carrot crunchers. So you guys are going to hear it instead.!. Just got the solaris steller horizon . Got good deal from HiFonix (uk) £2000, shout out to Aseem who was great with the transaction. Gave it 100hrs or so burn in during the week for some serious listening this weekend. All I can say is that this IEM is jaw dropping. Soundstage and detail of the scale. We all cringe when we read that the listener heard things he/she had never heard before even in familiar recordings. Its such a corny phrase thats up there with ' as the artist intended' we all agree. Well Im applying that corny phrase here because thats how it is. Bear in mind Im coming from the ARA which is fantastic .But these are truly next level and my end game......Sorry I cant write a better review, Im no good at that stuff. All I know is the moment I pressed play I knew they were significantly better than anything I have ever heard. By a country mile........Anyway, the weekend is ebbing away so got to get back to the tunes!!.......

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #911 of 1,063
Hi to all...... I cant talk to anyone around here as were all carrot crunchers. So you guys are going to hear it instead.!. Just got the solaris steller horizon . Got good deal from HiFonix (uk) £2000, shout out to Aseem who was great with the transaction. Gave it 100hrs or so burn in during the week for some serious listening this weekend. All I can say is that this IEM is jaw dropping. Soundstage and detail of the scale. We all cringe when we read that the listener heard things he/she had never heard before even in familiar recordings. Its such a corny phrase thats up there with ' as the artist intended' we all agree. Well Im applying that corny phrase here because thats how it is. Bear in mind Im coming from the ARA which is fantastic .But these are truly next level and my end game......Sorry I cant write a better review, Im no good at that stuff. All I know is the moment I pressed play I knew they were significantly better than anything I have ever heard. By a country mile........Anyway, the weekend is ebbing away so got to get back to the tunes!!.......
Gracias MgMGM por fin una reseña del stellar Horizon todo el mundo habla de la Bonneville que está muy bien pero stellar está por encima creo que tiene los mejores graves de campfire audio

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #915 of 1,063
How do you find Black Star with metal in general? Enough bass presence to give drum kicks substantial oomph?
BS is great with metal as long as its properly recorded.

Archspires “Bleed the future” album sounds amazing and more sludgy things like eg Druids “Shadow work” has nice weight in the low end.

Older metal like Dream Theater “Systematic chaos” sounds a little “lighter”.

I guess “substantial oomph” might differ from one person to another but the BS has nice low end with wonderful sub bass and mid bass that kicks just right to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back