Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Oct 20, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #152 of 5,394
Yeah don't think the vega is for me. Especially confirmed when Ken himself stated that it had very little in common with Andro. I think Andro bass is pretty much spot on for me most of the time. Anything substantially more than that wouldn't feel accurate to me at all, and would likely feel "always on".

I know, but now that I have tried a lot of stuff, I find only true innovation is interesting. And this looks like it.

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #154 of 5,394
  Here are some day one impressions of the Vega, probably did six hours of listening with them today. Sources were a Pono player, a GOV2+ (through an iPhone 7 and a Macbook Air at different points), and a Schiit Jotunheim with Modi Multibit.

The TL;DR is that these are the paternal twins of the Andromedas. Both are equally excellent but have different strengths. The Andromedas have an amazing tonal balance, wonderful soundstage and airiness, and practically sound like speakers in a room instead of monitors in your ear. The Vegas have seemingly limitless, powerful bass that commands your presence but doesn't detract from or bleed into the mids. They have a more natural sounding decay and exceptional timbre and texture. They're both insanely listenable, and in terms of technicalities I would say they are even. So the only question is which FR and presentation will you prefer.

Personally I find these hypnotic. With the Andromedas I felt like I always had to listen to just one...more...song. With the Vegas I'm wondering why I would ever take them off. They really draw you into the music, a symptom of both their exceptional texture/timbre but also from the palpable bass that you can feel. I don't know how a tiny IEM is producing better, more plentiful, and more extended bass than most full size cans, but it's simply wonderful.

I think people are going to end up on either Team Andromeda or Team Vega (except for those with resources to own both!). They're very different IEMs that are both the best at what they do. I waffled on getting an Andromeda for a long time and with the Vega I decided to bite the bullet and I'm very glad I did. That being said, if you're a big fan of the Andromeda, give these a listen before you buy, because you may not like the qualities of the Vega and how it differs from the Andros.

If you love powerful, deep, well controlled bass, you must hear these.

can i ask is the soundstage smaller on the vega than andromeda

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #157 of 5,394
Oct 20, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #160 of 5,394
Yeah don't think the vega is for me. Especially confirmed when Ken himself stated that it had very little in common with Andro. I think Andro bass is pretty much spot on for me most of the time. Anything substantially more than that wouldn't feel accurate to me at all, and would likely feel "always on".

Just because Vega and Andromeda are very different does not necessary mean one is better than the other. One can enjoy both attending a live event at Carneigie Hall and at a small intimate jazz club, very different experience but both can be highly satisfying. For me the Andro bass is very nice, refine, discrete and polite. The Andro bass will only present herself when she is called. With the Vega, which I will have in six hours, I have different expectation. I want a being there feel (from Jude), I want a visceral feel, I want to feel anything between 20 to 100 hz along with good PRAT to slap me in the face, to punch me in my stomach. I want to feel the earth move under my feet (to borrow the lyric from Carol King), I want to re experience the first time I put on my LCD2 in an Iems where the bass is hugh and will suddenly hit me from nowhere, where the bass is hugh but doesn't necessary mean it is alway on. Two totally very different experience standing by 24/7 for me to enjoy:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back