Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Oct 19, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #136 of 5,394
I like my bass, but the midbass in IE800 was like always on...a bit annoying.

Yeah don't think the vega is for me. Especially confirmed when Ken himself stated that it had very little in common with Andro. I think Andro bass is pretty much spot on for me most of the time. Anything substantially more than that wouldn't feel accurate to me at all, and would likely feel "always on".

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #137 of 5,394
My favorite dynamic IEM before the Vega was the IE800, which has a slightly boosted bass that was pretty satisfying with many different genres of music.  Even without break-in, I can already tell that the Vega has more bass quantity than the IE800 to an enveloping degree while still offering textured detail.  I predict that the Vega will be the stuff of legends among bass head audiophiles.

snk8699 Thanks, could you please share a further comparison between the ie800 and Vega in terms of treble, clarity, and everything?

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #138 of 5,394
  @snk8699 what are you using for a source, and can they be driven with a phone? Thanks!

I plugged them into my Chord Hugo TT and listened to them for several hours.  I'm going to break them in over the next few days and not interrupt the magic.  I will report any further changes noticed in the signature and provide more detailed analysis across the frequencies.  I guess I'll just go outside and watch some birds or whatever non-audiophiles do with their time.

They can definitely be driven by a phone.

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #141 of 5,394
Here are some day one impressions of the Vega, probably did six hours of listening with them today. Sources were a Pono player, a GOV2+ (through an iPhone 7 and a Macbook Air at different points), and a Schiit Jotunheim with Modi Multibit.

The TL;DR is that these are the paternal twins of the Andromedas. Both are equally excellent but have different strengths. The Andromedas have an amazing tonal balance, wonderful soundstage and airiness, and practically sound like speakers in a room instead of monitors in your ear. The Vegas have seemingly limitless, powerful bass that commands your presence but doesn't detract from or bleed into the mids. They have a more natural sounding decay and exceptional timbre and texture. They're both insanely listenable, and in terms of technicalities I would say they are even. So the only question is which FR and presentation will you prefer.

Personally I find these hypnotic. With the Andromedas I felt like I always had to listen to just one...more...song. With the Vegas I'm wondering why I would ever take them off. They really draw you into the music, a symptom of both their exceptional texture/timbre but also from the palpable bass that you can feel. I don't know how a tiny IEM is producing better, more plentiful, and more extended bass than most full size cans, but it's simply wonderful.

I think people are going to end up on either Team Andromeda or Team Vega (except for those with resources to own both!). They're very different IEMs that are both the best at what they do. I waffled on getting an Andromeda for a long time and with the Vega I decided to bite the bullet and I'm very glad I did. That being said, if you're a big fan of the Andromeda, give these a listen before you buy, because you may not like the qualities of the Vega and how it differs from the Andros.

If you love powerful, deep, well controlled bass, you must hear these.

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #144 of 5,394
  Here are some day one impressions of the Vega, probably did six hours of listening with them today. Sources were a Pono player, a GOV2+ (through an iPhone 7 and a Macbook Air at different points), and a Schiit Jotunheim with Modi Multibit.

The TL;DR is that these are the paternal twins of the Andromedas. Both are equally excellent but have different strengths. The Andromedas have an amazing tonal balance, wonderful soundstage and airiness, and practically sound like speakers in a room instead of monitors in your ear. The Vegas have seemingly limitless, powerful bass that commands your presence but doesn't detract or bleed into the mids. They have a more natural sounding decay and exceptional timbre and texture. They're both insanely listenable, and in terms of technicalities I would say they are even. So the only question is which FR and presentation will you prefer.

Personally I find these hypnotic. With the Andromedas I felt like I always had to listen to just one...more...song. With the Vegas I'm wondering why I would ever take them off. They really draw you into the music, a symptom of both their exceptional texture/timbre but also from the palpable bass that you can feel. I don't know how a tiny IEM is producing better, more plentiful, and more extended bass than most full size cans, but it's simply wonderful.

I think people are going to end up on either Team Andromeda or Team Vega (except for those with resources to own both!). They're very different IEMs that are both the best at what they do. I waffled on getting an Andromeda for a long time and with the Vega I decided to bite the bullet and I'm very glad I did. That being said, if you're a big fan of the Andromeda, give these a listen before you buy, because you may not like the qualities of the Vega and how it differs from the Andros.

the reason i bought VEGA is because of DD and BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #150 of 5,394

The TL;DR is that these are the paternal twins of the Andromedas. Both are equally excellent but have different strengths. The Andromedas have an amazing tonal balance, wonderful soundstage and airiness, and practically sound like speakers in a room instead of monitors in your ear. The Vegas have seemingly limitless, powerful bass that commands your presence but doesn't detract from or bleed into the mids. They have a more natural sounding decay and exceptional timbre and texture. They're both insanely listenable, and in terms of technicalities I would say they are even. So the only question is which FR and presentation will you prefer.

I really liked what I just read here. I guessed from the day these (Vega & Dorado) came out that nothing will trump the other / each other. But rather offer listeners (will soon be owners) another High quality efficient CA blend. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Thanks for sharing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back