Campfire Audio Polaris - New CA IEM
Sep 14, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #166 of 312
Interesting. So you get a lesser cable than what is shipped with their lower-priced offerings? Or is performance the same? Any new Polaris owners try both?

From my review:

A note on cables since the Polaris is the first Campfire earphone to assume a Litz copper cable as opposed to the silver plated unit included with every other model. In terms of sonics, I can definitely see the logic behind Ken’s choice of pure Litz copper since it does provide meatier bass, especially sub-bass, with excellent definition and texture though I found that the copper cable does lack the clarity, layering and outright resolution of Campfire’s silver cable. The silver cable really smoothed out lower mids and brought the midrange forward slightly on a whole. Treble detail and extension also improved as did soundstage space though this did come at the cost of some bass power. Subjectively, I feel that the Silver cable actually finds better synergy with the Polaris though I do personally tend to favour slightly brighter earphones. The silver Litz cable is definitely worth a look for Polaris owners looking for some extra high-end presence though users shouldn’t feel that the Copper cable is holding the Polaris back.

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #167 of 312
Interesting. So you get a lesser cable than what is shipped with their lower-priced offerings? Or is performance the same? Any new Polaris owners try both?
When I had both the Orion and the Polaris I tried the Orion's SPC Litz cable with the Polaris as well as the stock Polaris copper one. There's not much of a difference but I think the bass seemed a tiny bit fuller on the copper one. Again, these differences are really tiny and might not even exist and are just my mind playing placebo tricks on me. I wouldn't worry so much about the cable, they're both really well made, and much better than the stock wires you get from most other IEMs. :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #168 of 312
Thanks for the input. I have the original Litz that came with my Lyras that I'm not using. I think I would prefer to use it with Polaris based on what you guys are saying.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #172 of 312
I dont think my ears are fussy enough to pick up any sound differences as long as it seals I am happy
single flange thick silicone are my preference always for comfort seal and durability doesnt matter what brand as long as it meats those criteria and are a good size with good size bore,

tips that suck for me are great with others take double flanges I cant even comprehend how they could fit a human ear

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #176 of 312
I've only tried Spinfits and Spiral Dots with the Polaris and overall I feel that the spinfits give a more intimate soundstage and a slightly sharper treble compared to the more laid back and open sounding spiral dot tips. Isolation is obviously better on the spinfits but I think I prefer spiral dots overall. The thinness in the lower mids is more evident on spinfits as well IMO

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #177 of 312
Personally I am currently using rha dual density large tips. I find they are the most comfortable and seem to give the bass that slight extra roundness and punch I like... though that last part is probably in my head.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #178 of 312
Personally I am currently using rha dual density large tips. I find they are the most comfortable and seem to give the bass that slight extra roundness and punch I like... though that last part is probably in my head.
I have the exact same sentiment. Since I can't do foam, these tips are the next best thing. I've had several warranty replacements in my rha that I have a good stock of those tips.

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #180 of 312
Has anyone compared the Polaris to Dorado? I am concidering buying my first CA, at the moment I am leaning towards the Dorado, but I have also Polaris and Lyra II on my list.

Polaris has got a more analytical and brighter mid high and high end imo. Dorado also got a more phat bass. and richer mids. but slightly recessed compared to Polaris.

I actually prefer Polaris . but many ppl complained about thin male vocals with it which I do sort of agree, but I think it's only certain vocal ranges where it's most apparent. I love the separation in the Polaris a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back