Campfire Audio Polaris - New CA IEM
Oct 2, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #181 of 312
Polaris has got a more analytical and brighter mid high and high end imo. Dorado also got a more phat bass. and richer mids. but slightly recessed compared to Polaris.

I actually prefer Polaris . but many ppl complained about thin male vocals with it which I do sort of agree, but I think it's only certain vocal ranges where it's most apparent. I love the separation in the Polaris a lot.

I definitely agree with this, the Polaris has a lot of clarity while the Dorado is thicker but simultaneously more resolving. Important to consider personal uses and tonal preferences, the Dorado is also a lot smaller, some struggle with the larger BA Campfire shells but it has that thicc nozzle that is a bit iffy.
I've been listening to the Lyra II a lot recently. It's a very underrated iem in my opinion and was very much overshadowed by the Vega but it's a nice earphone that a lot should really consider alongside these other models.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #182 of 312
I do agree with the statement that both the Dorado and the Lyra II are highly under-rated... I do want to point out that while Dorado is a hybrid like the Polaris, both are two animals all together... Dorado is if you appreciate more detail and dynamism in your music... Polaris is about that fun sound and fun sound is normally not detailed aka consumer tuning...

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #183 of 312
I agree that the Andro and the Vega overshadow the Jupiter and the Lyra II respectively. They're both great in ears and its what I like about campfire's lineup is that each one has a unique tuning to it so there would be one for everyone's varying tastes. And pricing doesn't necessarily reflect quality either. IMO even the entry level priced Orion has better mids than the rest of Campfire's lineup, even if it doesn't have the best bass and treble extension. Polaris borrows various aspects that I liked from their other models and combines them into one IEM which is pretty neat.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #184 of 312
Thank you for your replies! From other reviews, frequency curves and your comparison (in combination with my preferences) I think my first priority should be to get a 2. hand Dorado, and then later consider which of the other I should try if I`m not satisfied.

Additional information: My favorite headphones are the Denon D5000. They have a bass that is very present, and goes deep and are a bit rumbly (not ultra-tight). The mid-range is a bit recessed and fairly neutral with what I believe natural sound. The treble peaks at around 10 khz (with no apparent increase in the upper mid-range). I like how they can produce a great 3D sound, in addition the layering of instruments. The headphones are also forgiving/smooth enough so they handle my many poorly recorded power metal & death metal albums.

Some time ago I thought that Earsonics Velvet was somewhere around that sound, but after buying them is noticed that their U shape was a bit exaggerated, with an upper mid-range that was to increased (to bright female vocals and lean male vocals). The treble was also too present. This is also what I am concerned about the Vegas, they peak at 9 khz, with about 10 dB above the mid-range? (I believe that Denon D5000 is less than 5 dB above).

Maybe there should be a "EQ the Polaris mid-range" guide, for which frequencies and how much you should increase lower mid-range or decrease upper mid-range to make a more normal/neutral mid-range.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #185 of 312
I got these recently, and I'm loving the low end. However, the highs can feel very sibilant, to the point where they're somewhat painful to listen to.

Does anyone feel the same? Is there any way to remedy the situation?

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #186 of 312
I got these recently, and I'm loving the low end. However, the highs can feel very sibilant, to the point where they're somewhat painful to listen to.

What are you listening to them out of?
And what tips are you using?

Everyone has different degrees of sensitivity to treble and sibilance. I personally haven't had any sibilance or treble sharpness issues with any of campfire's IEMs except the Lyra II but most people have no issues with that model so it's all subjective from person to person.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #187 of 312

Try an eartip with a smaller bore size such as Sony Hybrids or Comply foams, treble can also get a bit wonky if your seal is off. Perhaps your source has a higher output impedance, check whether the Polaris has the same issue from all of your devices, if it's isolated to one in particular, you can look into something like the iFi ieMatch.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #188 of 312
I actually found that smaller bores like the Spinfits cause sharper treble in my experience compared to something wider like the spiral dots but YMMV

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #189 of 312
I actually found that smaller bores like the Spinfits cause sharper treble in my experience compared to something wider like the spiral dots but YMMV

Fair enough, Spinfits are a bit exempt because the sound tube is partially obstructed by the swivelling mechanism and their longer stems alter fit depth. Every iem responds a bit differently, the Polaris wasn't overly tip or source sensitive to me though.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #190 of 312
Fair enough, Spinfits are a bit exempt because the sound tube is partially obstructed by the swivelling mechanism and their longer stems alter fit depth. Every iem responds a bit differently, the Polaris wasn't overly tip or source sensitive to me though.

You may be right actually. Spinfits have reduced treble on some of my IEMs in the past and increased it on others. Can't comment on source too much as I mostly use it straight out of my phone (S8+) as my on the go daily driver, I just guessed that source OI mattered since balanced armatures are notorious for sounding different on different OI sources. Might just come down to treble sensitivity I guess.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #191 of 312
Thanks all for the comments!
I use a Fiio X5iii as my source.

I hadn't noticed any sibilance with my Etymotic ER4-Ps, which I was using before the Polaris.
I currently use the medium spinfits, but I haven't tried any of the other tips. I'll be sure to test them out.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #192 of 312
Thanks all for the comments!
I use a Fiio X5iii as my source.

I hadn't noticed any sibilance with my Etymotic ER4-Ps, which I was using before the Polaris.
I currently use the medium spinfits, but I haven't tried any of the other tips. I'll be sure to test them out.

The X5 III is a fine source and not a bright one at that, but from memory, it had a more aggressive lower treble presentation that may overlap with the lower treble bump of the Polaris. Of course, it's minute but it could push the Polaris over the edge of comfort if you are especially sensitive. Definitely give your other sources a go, even your smartphone, Ken actually designed the Polaris to run from these sources.

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #193 of 312
A question if I may...

For those that own the Polaris, knowing how it sounds through various sources, would you buy one in absolute confidence if your main genre you will be listeing to is Dance music and all genres and sub genres that falls into it? Exquisite, balanced beautiful bass.....

If not the Polaris, any recommendations?!

Thank you very much for your help.

:)

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #194 of 312
A question if I may...

For those that own the Polaris, knowing how it sounds through various sources, would you buy one in absolute confidence if your main genre you will be listeing to is Dance music and all genres and sub genres that falls into it? Exquisite, balanced beautiful bass.....

If not the Polaris, any recommendations?!

Thank you very much for your help.

:)
Without a doubt... Vega.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back