Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 29, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #8,191 of 9,829
Although initial listen and my usual test tracks did not immediately wow me as evidenced in my review, I’m increasing reaching for the Andromeda Gold and listening to them more and more.

I find them very musically enjoyable despite not having the initial wow factor of the OG and its sparkly treble. The Andro Gold is actually very detailed but requires a little adaptation listening to its sound (brain burn in?). The details are there, you just have to focus a little more (the bass covers the other frequencies more). This makes them actually great from an enjoyment point of view as you can focus more on appreciating the music instead critically evaluating a track which some IEMs are great at but it becomes very fatiguing over long listens. The Andro Gold do not have this problem.

After spending a good amount of time with these, I’d like to revise my review as follows:

Pros
  • very wide soundstage and excellent placement of instruments and sounds
  • Amazing bass detail and layers
  • Very nicely and accurately placed vocals
  • Non-fatiguing treble
  • Some of the best comfort, fit and isolation I’ve worn
  • Stellar coherency between the L/R, no phasing, flawless channel matching
Cons
  • missing the sparkly treble of OG
  • Can get a little overwhelmed on extremely fast and congested tracks (must be the lack of crossovers)
  • Imaging is not the sharpest or most vivid, but still up there
It’s probably closer to a 8.75/10 than 8/10 for me actually (OG being 9/10).

These are keepers!

Thanks for the impressions and updates. I actually approached them from a very different perspective but have kind of ended up feeling similarly to you. For me, I come from mostly DD iems as I normally prefer the bass presentation and how you get much more sense of physicality from bass with them. I was also coming from the Atlas as my main IEM which in addition to having the physicality just has a massive amount of bass anyways. So for me the golds actually felt quite a bit sparkly, but lacking in the low end (even with the 4 bass drivers). I have never heard the OG andromeda so I cant relaly compare the treble, but the treble on the golds has lots of detail and air for me. And in the end, I find myself reaching for them more and more as its just a very very enjoyable listen.

We all hear differently and everyone has their own preferences, but both of you present very valid points and I found both posts very helpful. It does show that there is no substitute for hearing with your own ears.

Sep 29, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #8,192 of 9,829
On another positive note, AG + Symbio W are isolation monsters. I can pretty much listen at the same volume on the subway and bus which is crazy. Must be the longer noozles + increased bass.

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #8,194 of 9,829
On another positive note, AG + Symbio W are isolation monsters. I can pretty much listen at the same volume on the subway and bus which is crazy. Must be the longer noozles + increased bass.
to my ears , the "overall" sound is very similar with symbio w and spiral dots , but the stage seems a little bit bigger with the dots .. i prefer them :)

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #8,195 of 9,829
to my ears , the "overall" sound is very similar with symbio w and spiral dots , but the stage seems a little bit bigger with the dots .. i prefer them :)

For me, I get a better deal with Symbio W. Haven’t tried Spiral Dots yet but I can imagine how the wider nozzle would allows more treble = better stage. I just could never get a tight seal with it.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #8,197 of 9,829
I happened to get an additional Andromeda Gold. Does anyone want to buy? The package has been opened, and the IEMs are tested for one hour.

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #8,198 of 9,829
So I got the 789 anyhow and after listening to it for almost a week, the only thing I notice between it and the Atom is the 789 has less bass. Kind of makes mids and highs seem more pronounced. Really like it when listening to orchestral music and classic/folk rock. The convenience of not using an adapter and having more volume knob to work with may of been worth the price alone to me. Plus it's so pretty...

IMG_1310.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #8,199 of 9,829
Today I did a Frankenstein but oh god, I found the perfect combination !! I putted the foam of a Symbio W inside of a couple of Spiral Dot and I found the best combination possible !! The Symbios are very hard in terms of material and I start to develop a pain after few minutes of start using them, but Spiral are the most comfortable of all tips for the Andro but they don’t isolate correctly. With the foam, the isolation it’s the best by far and the sound it’s improved a lot, the perfect for me !!

Oct 4, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #8,200 of 9,829
Today I did a Frankenstein but oh god, I found the perfect combination !! I putted the foam of a Symbio W inside of a couple of Spiral Dot and I found the best combination possible !! The Symbios are very hard in terms of material and I start to develop a pain after few minutes of start using them, but Spiral are the most comfortable of all tips for the Andro but they don’t isolate correctly. With the foam, the isolation it’s the best by far and the sound it’s improved a lot, the perfect for me !!

received_503145437085218.jpeg

Grab a pack of foam ear plugs. Cut out a hole with what ever tools you have. I used a leather hole puncher but I've also used a sharpened refillable pen successfully... Just takes more time to get a clean cut. Then stuff the foam into whatever silicone tip you have and snip off the excess length of the foam. Violà!

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #8,201 of 9,829

Grab a pack of foam ear plugs. Cut out a hole with what ever tools you have. I used a leather hole puncher but I've also used a sharpened refillable pen successfully... Just takes more time to get a clean cut. Then stuff the foam into whatever silicone tip you have and snip off the excess length of the foam. Violà!

Excellent. I'd make one with red foam and one with blue foam so I always knew which IEM was right and left much quicker than having to pick them up first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back