Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #7,981 of 9,829
sans titre-28.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #7,983 of 9,829
Also I emailed Campfire the other day and because of the holidays they just got back to me. The said that they demo the Andro Golds on ZX330, Z1, and Kann Cubes at the trade shows. I mentioned how the 3.5 was terrible on the zx300 but they didn't say if they use the 4.4 or not when demoing. No comment i guess.

All pictures I've seen of the Andromeda SEG were with the Smoky Litz cable, so I guess SE… I would be surprised if they would have demoed it with another cable than the stock one.

Also, on the subject of Balanced vs SE, I stumbled upon @KB who commented on the difference to be expected if using balanced on the Solaris thread:

Balanced has a larger voltage swing, sounds larger and more dynamic.

Hope this helps.

Ken

This settles it for me — I don't want my Andromeda SEG to sound larger — they're plenty large for me in SE.

I also tried them with my Litz cable which came with my Comet and, although I am a darker/warmer sound signature person, I must say that the Smoky Litz cable (current version of the Sliver Litz cable) adds a tiny bit more details which was lost in the darker/warmer sound signature the standard Litz cable brought.

No, clearly, @KB clearly nailed it with the Andromeda Special Edition Gold paired with the Sony ZX300 in SE.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #7,985 of 9,829
Finally, someone thought about the movies! :ksc75smile:
I am poor to afford a proper house and proper home theatre setup, so I need a set of decent IEM to watch movies on my phone....

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #7,986 of 9,829
I am poor to afford a proper house and proper home theatre setup, so I need a set of decent IEM to watch movies on my phone....
It's a matter of preferences :) I hope that you have at least 5" screen :p

BTW, I wasn't sarcastic! I watch movies on my laptop while commuting and not working. C are too big to be take with (I prefer IEMs anyway), so a good pair of IEMs that performs "well in all areas" are an unmatched gift.

I was already asking some time ago about how IEMs performes watching movies, so-called "3D-effect", "dynamics" and such. However, nobody usually cares about it on audio forums, so I felt kinda dumb asking that again :D

Sep 4, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #7,987 of 9,829
It's a matter of preferences :) I hope that you have at least 5" screen :p

BTW, I wasn't sarcastic! I watch movies on my laptop while commuting and not working. C are too big to be take with (I prefer IEMs anyway), so a good pair of IEMs that performs "well in all areas" are an unmatched gift.

I was already asking some time ago about how IEMs performes watching movies, so-called "3D-effect", "dynamics" and such. However, nobody usually cares about it on audio forums, so I felt kinda dumb asking that again :D
I use my standard Andromeda’s using the Apple Dongle for movies and TV everyday. The sound is fantastic, wide open head turning soundstage and great depth. No problems watching anything on an iPhone using the lowly apple dongle with the Andromeda’s. Music sounds equally superb too. My SR15 sounds better I guess but, not night and day. Considering the apple dongle was £10 and my SR15 over £500!

Sep 4, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #7,988 of 9,829
...Also I emailed Campfire the other day and because of the holidays they just got back to me. The said that they demo the Andro Golds on ZX330, Z1, and Kann Cubes at the trade shows. I mentioned how the 3.5 was terrible on the zx300 but they didn't say if they use the 4.4 or not when demoing. No comment i guess.
FWIW, my first exposure to Campfire IEMs was at CANJAM SoCal in June. I'm not sure what DAP(s) they had on hand to help with demos (there were none on the table); I just used my AK380 with my own tunes. They used stock cables (so 3.5mm connections) by default, but when I asked if the Super Litz was available in 2.5mm balanced they pulled one out. I'd be surprised if they didn't also have 4.4 cables on hand.

BTW, I never got back to you about my soundstaging impressions between Solaris and Andro Golds. While I definitely heard a better sense of "depth" with Solaris on some tracks, that impression wasn't entirely consistent for me, and I didn't find the differences in presentation particularly dramatic. The sense of depth seemed to be track-dependent. On tracks where the differences were more apparent to me, Andro Golds felt like a more intimate vocal presentation that was just as enjoyable as Solaris's more holistically balanced presentation. I really like both, and while I still lean toward Solaris for overall presentation and sound, the Andro Golds are more comfortable and have an exciting edge with stuff like bass heavy EDM.

Sep 4, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #7,989 of 9,829
I'm glad someone else finally mentioned it! Multi-BA with no X-Over.... anyone else doing it?

Edit: @crinacle informed me that KZ has a no x-over ba design. Im looking at their lineup trying to figure out which one though.
my KZ ZS5 has no crossover too. And it the version 1 with massive soundstage.

Sep 4, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #7,990 of 9,829
FWIW, my first exposure to Campfire IEMs was at CANJAM SoCal in June. I'm not sure what DAP(s) they had on hand to help with demos (there were none on the table); I just used my AK380 with my own tunes. They used stock cables (so 3.5mm connections) by default, but when I asked if the Super Litz was available in 2.5mm balanced they pulled one out. I'd be surprised if they didn't also have 4.4 cables on hand.

BTW, I never got back to you about my soundstaging impressions between Solaris and Andro Golds. While I definitely heard a better sense of "depth" with Solaris on some tracks, that impression wasn't entirely consistent for me, and I didn't find the differences in presentation particularly dramatic. The sense of depth seemed to be track-dependent. On tracks where the differences were more apparent to me, Andro Golds felt like a more intimate vocal presentation that was just as enjoyable as Solaris's more holistically balanced presentation. I really like both, and while I still lean toward Solaris for overall presentation and sound, the Andro Golds are more comfortable and have an exciting edge with stuff like bass heavy EDM.

Wow really? I wanted to keep the Andromeda's Golds so so badly because I liked the size and fit vs the solaris, that bass was super fun as well. But man I just could not justify the downgrade in sound stage if I was only going to allow myself 1 IEM to keep. The golds felt more intimate like you said but only because they felt like a smaller space. It was more in your face than that on stage feeling of the Solaris.

I was really wishing I had them yesterday actually. I had a ton of work and did a very long session like 8hrs of non-stop Solaris wear. It was really not as enjoyable as it could have been towards the end there. If I could get my Solaris sound in the Andromeda's form factor I would throw money at Ken. I also regret I didn't have more time with them before the return, but the hurricane looked like it was going to hit Florida and if it did then all mail out of state would stop and I would be stuck with them. I am thinking now about the possibility of maybe getting a used pair of green andros again just for the easy of wear form factor at half the cost of the golds.

Sep 4, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #7,991 of 9,829

That was my first Canjam. Tried the Andromeda green, walked around, came back to the booth and bought it :)

Sep 4, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #7,993 of 9,829
Yeah I had the greens before the Solaris. I am trying very hard to stick to only 1 IEM but we will see.
sticking to 1 IEM :o2smile:
impossible!

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #7,994 of 9,829
Wow really? I wanted to keep the Andromeda's Golds so so badly because I liked the size and fit vs the solaris, that bass was super fun as well. But man I just could not justify the downgrade in sound stage if I was only going to allow myself 1 IEM to keep. The golds felt more intimate like you said but only because they felt like a smaller space. It was more in your face than that on stage feeling of the Solaris.

I was really wishing I had them yesterday actually. I had a ton of work and did a very long session like 8hrs of non-stop Solaris wear. It was really not as enjoyable as it could have been towards the end there. If I could get my Solaris sound in the Andromeda's form factor I would throw money at Ken. I also regret I didn't have more time with them before the return, but the hurricane looked like it was going to hit Florida and if it did then all mail out of state would stop and I would be stuck with them. I am thinking now about the possibility of maybe getting a used pair of green andros again just for the easy of wear form factor at half the cost of the golds.
I really wish I could get Solaris sound in a CIEM. Nothing beats the comfort of customs.

I just got back from my first air travel with the Noble K10 Customs that I picked up from Massdrop, I dunno, a year ago? I'm never flying anywhere without them again! The sound isolation was absolutely sublime. Even the plane engine noise was almost completely gone without any music playing, and with the tunes going there was nothing but my music in my world. I listened to music for hours on end, and yet my ears felt fresh and relaxed when I landed instead of strained by hours of engine whine.

I'm intrigued by Equinox, but not sure it brings enough to the table over what I already have (Atlas + K10 CIEMs). The K10s have a deeper fit and, as I understand it, probably better isolation. They also pack a ton of bass, so if Equinox has an Atlas-like tuning that seems a bit redundant. But I'd love Solaris's relaxed and balanced signature in a well-isolated custom form factor!

Sep 4, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #7,995 of 9,829
Andro is far from HD800. The sound signature is easy listening with the Andro's.

My HD800 I've reserved for Movie watching or when I want hyper detail on my PC. My HD800 for me is flat out fatiguing unless I use Tube dac or tube amplification. The vacuum tubes creates more realism with holographic sound vs artificial EQ sound of the massive soundstage of the HD800.

This is the beauty of IEM's as they can be swapped effortlessly....just throw money in hardware acquisition. Home audio is a different world as I incorporate a tube dac and solid state dac when I want to have different sound signatures. I haven't purchased different amplification yet to cater to my needs.

Audio is an enjoyable money pit!
Money pit is right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back