Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 2, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #7,966 of 9,825
Because of this I pulled the trigger on the Andromeda AG SE. As I have the following cables Litz, Reference 8, SXC 8 and Gold 16 in balanced.

I'll be comparing them to the Andromeda White, Atlas and Solaris.

I'll most likely be selling my Andromeda White or returning the Andromeda AG SE. Only room for one Andromeda for me.
Will you share your impressions of cable pairings? I'm noticing a big difference between stock smoke cables vs ref8 bal cable.

Sep 2, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #7,969 of 9,825
Clearly everyone seem to agree that the Andromeda Special Edition Gold benefit greatly from a balanced cable.

Which one do you prefer though? I'm curious.

Same, I just got the gold Andromeda and am looking at upgrade cables. Nevertheless, it sounds really good stock on the DX200 w/ Amp9. Just considering what might be good in the event i switch back to an amp wth a balanced output

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #7,970 of 9,825
My personal favorite with dx200 is amp8 with ref8 balanced cables, 4.4 balanced output of amp8.

I've heard amp9 is very analytical, that's why I'm using amp8 (and because it's balanced). I've tried amp3, amp7 and amp8 and I like the latter out of three. Digital filter also does affect the sound signature. I like anodizing, Slow roll off linear and slow roll off minimum options.

Sound opens up with balanced cables and subs are better well defined.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #7,971 of 9,825
OK. Had listened to my Andromeda family (OG 2019/S/Gold) for the past few days, together with the T800 which is also tuned to the Harmon curve, I can share my impression of them. As usual, as we all hear sound very differently, the impressions are of my own only, and your mileague may vary....... In testing, I am using my S10+ as source (I buy IEMs to use with my phones on the go, using good quality DAC dongles if needed), with Dolby atmos off, adapt sound at default (very important as it will cause hissing with highly sensitive IEMs) and normal eq. The ear tips on each are selected for BEST FIT for each IEMs for me (meaning no leaking of bass). So I used AET07 on the Andromeda Gold, AET06 (double flange) on Andromeda S and OG 2019, and Spinfit CP240 on T800. Volumes are adjusted to normal listening levels (subjectively only), which volumes set at 50% for Gold, 60% for S, and 75% for T800.

0yv60Z-OBu4DbZjUmikpRiePHO0cqXBKdLlysdH_NsI8v5f-5CievolrWBBla1r8CYawQezdhXQtXYGoZCvuv259kuSgQ0DE2jNq3koJch1ZqCbUkRS5REY9TmOaM9qHHY8RdBzxhevQEU4VY7dmWOPielleRpsXwXTyR-KYvtHC6H9vhNElmnxZ8szlxWyYOPEPYhHXQBmi4bXz9vmiJDzzs3gYUx6X88nzWAUzPeeMbvCeO36E00IboLs0J9TsR9Xq9HCIdKlfKhNRzf5wvUNiLFnhHpRafytL8wNwMMs2kmkFFJYzIhJQ7pgQok3L2afQW9iX00LcQU9PPeNAjBhclMQ1IfRndZcy0tD5z4VVH1tgNxDMjAbsa3-Zhh5_HHRQSF32QT70Dg0GX0LMZG1V-RJ_lQUCeG7x39T43mHOTTGLoUUfq_80ckUIGqvd3-WmGx4SmiI-4I_qiSsPWch0LaOQjrvIgGyjAc21wCmQReetJeffBMcYGj2887nUf0P47_2tmI3MdO9tmNHabaW-K9qbDjGns16ckGpJYhKp0xrpYvoxNe7r-VGViXLCpKRKQYTrPCO9EHVtLBlrboCA5KKruF9T_QTjd86tMT7gR8iPsZa8vajTWI1-QSNQp6t3WWm3pSGT0Mmtonw_220sU8pLJSDc=w1232-h1642-no

Andromeda Gold vs Andromeda OG 2019

Andromeda OG 2019 sounded very precise to me, almost to the point of surgically clean with excellent soundstage. Very clear and extented treble with no sibilance. Bass is present, precise, no more, no less. The clarity was exceptional when listening to instrumental pieces. Combined, the OG 2019 sounded like I was the conductor or the producer where I focus on all technical details rather than emotionally engaged. It is more like being and engineer rather than an artist. However, when listening to the OG 2019 for a longer period of time, I feel the sound is a bit cold. When things are so precise, it lacks a bit emotional engagement for me.

The Andromeda Gold seems to give emotions back into the OG 2019. The bass is of very high quality, and quantity is plentiful without overwhelming. The mids and highs are warmer, without sacrifying details of the OG 2019! Granted, because of the enhanced bass, I get the feeling that the highs are reduced. But there is no loss of details in the highs. Just that the female vocals are warmer than the OG 2019. The vocals from the Gold is right in the middle with the rest of the music, where as for the OG2019, vocals are slightly forward. Male vocals also sound better with the Gold, and the instruments are much for prominent in the music. Bass in Jazz genre is excellent! where the OG2019 seems to be a bit lacking. All in all, listening to Jazz seems very mellow to be with the Gold where the OG2019 will sound very cold and rigid. Listened to Adele Set Fire to the Rain, Gold conveyed so much power and emotion in that, vs Andromeda OG 2019 is just like I am producing the song with precision.

Listening to Orchestral movie sound tracks really set the Gold and the OG 2019 apart. The OG 2019 is trying to be as precise as possible, in a big concert hall. The Gold is more like trying to engage you and immerse you in feeling and emotion, albeit in a smaller concert hall (read, slightly less airy, smaller soundstage). The details are still there in the gold and instrument separation as good as the OG 2019, just more impactful and emotional. Enhanced bass in the Gold really makes me feel that I am present in a live concert! Piano and Strings are still as good and enjoyable as in the OG 2019.

Overall, the Gold is much more musical, enjoyable than the OG 2019 to me. But OG 2019 is probably more precise and accurate. It is not about better or worse, just differences between them. To me Gold is probably more suited for enjoyment on all genres and much more impactful, versus OG 2019 which is great for cleaner and more critical listening to every little details.

PS. Gold is also great for movie watching. Avengers series and Battle Pacific Rim were awesome with the Gold, where with the OG 2019, it was.... errr... cold.

Andromeda Gold vs Andromeda S
The Andromeda S to me was exceptionally suited for vocals. The bass is slightly more than the OG 2019 but the vocals are also much more forward. The Gold, however, is quite different in this regard. The vocal in the Gold is much more inline with the music, and it really come together as a coherent piece of music instead of vocal focused. To me, the Andro S treble and highs are more extended and detailed than the Gold. Bass is also present and slightly elevated, but my feeling is that the tuning on the S was to have the music complement the vocals, where as the Gold has the music conveying more emotions.
The Bass in the Gold is quite a bit more than the S, in terms of quantity, and substance, extended a bit lower than the S as well. So on rock concerts, heavy metal, or otherwise bass heavy tracks, the Gold conveys the power and emotions a lot better where as for vocal focused tracks, obviously the S will fare a lot better. Again, different and depends on personal preference. Gold compared to the S I definitely noticed reduced highs, as the Andromeda S high extention is just beautiful, Gold is still good, but if listening back to back, the difference is very noticeable. S is very bright and additive in vocals and Gold is definitely for people wanting an Andromeda with more low-end omph.

So in short, for balanced vocal focused music, Andro S hands down the winner. For general listening, and music conveying power, movie watching, Gold is definitely my top choice.

And here comes the dark horse. The Audiosense T800 which is 1/4 of the price of the Andromeda family. Out of the cheap (relatively speaking) ChiFi, this one surprise me so much that I carry them with me almost all the time, despite all the Andromeda(s) that I have. T800 is very well tuned to the Harmon curve and I find very enjoyable. And given the talks about the Gold much closer to the Harmon curve as well, I think they are a fair comparison in merits (despite the huge price discrepancy). The T800 is noticeably harder to drive vs the Andromeda (75% volume on my S10+ vs 50% volume with the Gold). In terms of tonality, although very good, it loses out to Andromeda in terms of clarity from mids to the highs. The voices are more recessed than all the Andromedas, and just slightly back vs the Gold. However, I feels that the T800 has the bass nailed just right and beats the Gold in this region. The Gold's bass while plentiful and extented with regard to the Andromeda family members, the T800 done bass like no other BAs that I have heard before. The T800 bass is full, powerful, and slower decay approximating a DD. I keep wondering if Audiosense secretly hid a DD in the T800 to achieve this...... But details, separation, clarity, there is no comparison, Andromeda Gold is a step ahead of the T800. T800 wins in bass quality, fit(more comfortable wearing than Andromeda), and passive isolation.

There goes my newbie, not even 2cents thoughts. The Gold has become my favorite!
Finally, someone thought about the movies! :ksc75smile:

Sep 3, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #7,972 of 9,825
I'm noticing that too, they do seem kind of bright but I don't get fatigue like I do with other bright headphones (HD800 was always a pain for me, so im kind of sensitive to it too). Bass is also NOT light as some have suggested, it's just not artificially boosted sounding. Very well rounded headphone overall, definately has a touch of magic too.

With the right fit and tips bass is no longer an issue. I'd be hesitant to buy Andro Gold (or Solaris) as they're bass heavy by comparison. Reading posts Atlas sound even more bass heavy. To me Andro green sound natural.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #7,973 of 9,825
With the right fit and tips bass is no longer an issue. I'd be hesitant to buy Andro Gold (or Solaris) as they're bass heavy by comparison. Reading posts Atlas sound even more bass heavy. To me Andro green sound natural.

Solaris bass heavy? I don’t know what kind of ears that person has or they forgot to turn off the bass boost EQ. Last time I demoed Solaris, it was definitely a bit leaner than even my Andromeda standard on the bass

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #7,974 of 9,825
bass heavy by comparison.

Solaris bass heavy? I don’t know what kind of ears that person has or they forgot to turn off the bass boost EQ. Last time I demoed Solaris, it was definitely a bit leaner than even my Andromeda standard on the bass

That's the impression I've got reading people's posts.

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #7,975 of 9,825
That's the impression I've got reading people's posts.

The Solaris definitely has more sub bass quantity and it *feels* bassier than the andromeda, probably due to the inclusion of a dynamic driver but I would be hesitant to say the mid / upper bass quantity is more. Andromeda does great mid / upper bass response for a BA

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #7,976 of 9,825
Solaris wasn't bassy (vs LX, IER-Z1R) but it certainly wasn't leaner than the Andro. Had a lot more sub-bass and the mid-bass was more DD-like in its decay (slower but slightly more tactile as expected). Hearing things for yourself trumps the amalgamation of other people's impressions. Also, tolerances are different for everybody. One man's "very bassy"/"harsh" may be another's "not enough bass"/"smooth".

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #7,977 of 9,825
Hearing things for yourself trumps the amalgamation of other people's impressions. Also, tolerances are different for everybody. One man's "very bassy"/"harsh" may be another's "not enough bass"/"smooth".

So much this.

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #7,978 of 9,825

Solaris has almost an "inverse BA" type of bass presentation to me. There isn't actually a huge quantity of mid bass, but there is plenty of impact and physicality. With BA bass you typically get volume but no slam, but with Solaris you get slam with not much commune (conparatibely). I don't think they are bass light, but that sense of physical tactility helps establish the "subwoofer" sorry of inordinate they can give in the really low registers without actually pushing out a huge amount of decibels. Just my 0.02c.

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #7,979 of 9,825
Solaris are not bass heavy at all. It has that same 10mm DD but it does not any major bass impact. Everything is super clean and detailed with them. Like i said in my review i wish sometimes the Solaris would kick like the Andro Golds.

Also I emailed Campfire the other day and because of the holidays they just got back to me. The said that they demo the Andro Golds on ZX330, Z1, and Kann Cubes at the trade shows. I mentioned how the 3.5 was terrible on the zx300 but they didn't say if they use the 4.4 or not when demoing. No comment i guess.

Its funny I think i have emailed them a few times over the years and their responses were always super short basic answers. They seriously need to hire someone for better support. Its like they make the warehouse staff respond to them or something, they just want to be done with them like emails are annoying. Uggh I have to talk to this guy about the $1300 headphones he bought from me, geez leave me alone kinda feeling. Really really weird considering the hobby and how much people like to talk about IEMs and DAPs.

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #7,980 of 9,825
I don't believe this has been mentioned yet - Special Edition Gold owners, check your pouches, there is a lapel pin with the SE: Gold Andromeda image. I need to check my Snow White pouches, but I doubt there is one in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back