Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 9, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #8,013 of 9,829
Hi,

do you have hiss using the DX220 and Andros?

thanks

A little bit, yes. With stock amp and low gain SE it’s barely perceptible, and not at all noticeable when actually listening to any music. High gain? Audible, still not noticeable when music is playing. Amp9 is a bit noisier but still very much a great pairing. There are plenty of recordings that have more background noise/hiss than the DX220 delivers (e.g. the 2018 ‘A Star is Born’ soundtrack). The Campfire Atlas is dead silent, for comparison.

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #8,014 of 9,829
A little bit, yes. With stock amp and low gain SE it’s barely perceptible, and not at all noticeable when actually listening to any music. High gain? Audible, still not noticeable when music is playing. Amp9 is a bit noisier but still very much a great pairing. There are plenty of recordings that have more background noise/hiss than the DX220 delivers (e.g. the 2018 ‘A Star is Born’ soundtrack). The Campfire Atlas is dead silent, for comparison.

Thanks! I just ordered the gold andros and I am looking for a good dap to pair them with but I can’t seem to find a consensus outside the now old zx300. Would you recommend the ibasso?

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #8,015 of 9,829
Thanks! I just ordered the gold andros and I am looking for a good dap to pair them with but I can’t seem to find a consensus outside the now old zx300. Would you recommend the ibasso?

All of the recent offerings from Shanling should be silent with the Gold. I use the M0 on high gain with no noise. I'm waiting for the release of their new android based DAP.

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #8,016 of 9,829
RNI-Films-IMG-39F37882-AE86-47B3-9C7C-2B94B6017118.jpg

Andromeda Special Edition Gold

Nicely done by Campfire Audio​

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #8,020 of 9,829
@NewEve - which tips are those? They look like spiral dots pushed all the way down. How do you like them with the nozzle flush with the tip? The last time I tried Spiral Dots with the Gold I was having issues with the fit.

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #8,021 of 9,829
@NewEve - which tips are those? They look like spiral dots pushed all the way down. How do you like them with the nozzle flush with the tip? The last time I tried Spiral Dots with the Gold I was having issues with the fit.

These are the standard CA silicon tips (medium size I believe).

The only alternative for me in terms of both musicality and confort are the Final Audio tips which also came with the Gold but I’m not too keen on how their surface feel.

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #8,022 of 9,829
Have you tried Dekoni Mercury tips? Sounds like what you're describing.

I received the Dekoni's and I like how they're shorter and have the wider opening but they hold the squish as opposed to springing quickly back like the pair that were on the SE's. Maybe because they're brand new but they feel like they are pushing the walls of my ears open as they are returning to form. A little uncomfortable. Great seal though. I'm starting to think I just got a weird pair of marshmallows that weren't vacuumed as long in the chamber maybe or longer, I don't remember how the cure process works exactly.

I also received some acoustune aet07's in the mail yesterday and I have to say this is the first pair of silicon tips that didn't bother my ears or make them feel like they were under pressure. These also made me realize I have one ear canal that is slightly larger than the other. Probably need a M or L for my right ear as these are M-. I get a nice seal unless I move my jaw and then the right ear is lost. I especially enjoyed listening to my classical music with these tips.

Thinking of maybe having custom tips done so I stop buying 100 packs of tips. Anyone have recommendations?

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #8,023 of 9,829
@ilovetoys give those Dekonis a little time; they get softer with heat. Within 10 minutes or so it's like they aren't even there. :)

I have seen custom tips, don't recall the make, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back