Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 12, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #8,041 of 9,829
The andromeda gold look absolutely stunning in black. Much better than that green. Will need to do some research on the sound of those.
In person, the green ones also look great. I love the look of Campfire IEMs. My favorite so far is actually the original Polaris. I liked the blue with the matte black face. Other may not agree but those look awesome in person.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #8,042 of 9,829
What reddit post, and also are you really taking it seriously? It is impossible for a $20 CIEM to be anywhere close to a pair of Andros. If that was the reality then everyone would just have $20 headphones. Audiophile doesn't not mean idiot spending 1k on the same sound as $20. This isn't the greatest bamboozle in history.

Green Andros are universally loved and reviewed as being amazing, Solaris are also amazing (I have owned both). You can't go wrong with either one. They are different iems have different sounds and fit differently. So that will really be what you need to consider. CFA does have a 15 day return policy so you can see what fits your needs after you read up on them.

Oh you can definitely go wrong - I heard the original Andro’s and upon initial listen, I wouldn’t have paid much more that’s 20$ for them; just sounded boring and unimpressive. Similar impression to WhatHiFi’s recent review of them actually.
That’s not to say a lot of people don’t love them, but it definitely isn’t universal. Sadly - cause I loved the design, so was really hoping to like them.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #8,043 of 9,829
Your going to believe the guy with -8 upvotes on the $20 thing? Infact everything he posted is downvoted to hell. Don't let him influence you at all.
I’d actually agree with the linked review, as it turns out - would definitely not recommend the gamble of a blind purchase on these... might be in the majority that like them, might not.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #8,045 of 9,829
Traded in the V3 Andros for the Gold Edition, not sure how I feel just yet - treble seems quite intense/shouty, first time I’ve winced due to piercing brightness, and I don’t find Utopia to be overly intense... Also not sensing much low end increase to be honest. Perhaps I need more time, but I’m thinking the OG Andro was more my speed. Mine also arrived chipped, a first for a Campfire product - even my first pair of B stock Andros were perfect, odd.

Granted, this is from an iPhone XS Max with dongle, will try from RME DAC when I get home, but if anything lower OI of dongle should darken it up.

I’ll give it some time, as most seem to enjoy this new tuning.

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #8,046 of 9,829
Traded in the V3 Andros for the Gold Edition, not sure how I feel just yet - treble seems quite intense/shouty, first time I’ve winced due to piercing brightness, and I don’t find Utopia to be overly intense... Also not sensing much low end increase to be honest. Perhaps I need more time, but I’m thinking the OG Andro was more my speed. Mine also arrived chipped, a first for a Campfire product - even my first pair of B stock Andros were perfect, odd.

Granted, this is from an iPhone XS Max with dongle, will try from RME DAC when I get home, but if anything lower OI of dongle should darken it up.

I’ll give it some time, as most seem to enjoy this new tuning.
What tips are you using? Are you sure you're getting a good seal? To me the treble is perfect and I definitely feel like there is more bass.

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #8,047 of 9,829
What tips are you using? Are you sure you're getting a good seal? To me the treble is perfect and I definitely feel like there is more bass.

Spiral Dots, and CA marshmallow foam - foam helps a tad, but not my preference for comfort. It’s mainly snaps, cymbals etc. Some tracks worse than others, much like anything. I’ll spend the weekend with them and see if I warm up to them. Will say, I’m a huge fan of the green, but the black/gold is sharp looking for sure - shame my set is chipped on one of the edges where the two halves meet.

Sep 13, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #8,050 of 9,829
Let me guess, you listen to them on a crappy phone?
Astell & Kern AK240 and a Mytek Brooklyn. So no.

Again, I'm just pointing out the Andromeda isn't the second coming of christ; you should still listen before buying, unless you're willing to take the gamble or know your tastes align with a reviewer.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #8,051 of 9,829
Astell & Kern AK240 and a Mytek Brooklyn. So no.

Again, I'm just pointing out the Andromeda isn't the second coming of christ; you should still listen before buying, unless you're willing to take the gamble or know your tastes align with a reviewer.

I feel like you had to be aware that saying they wouldn't be worth 20 dollars to you would definitely ruffle feathers. It's the type of statement that seems destined just to stir up controversy. It just happened to have a genuine opinion wrapped in there too. No iem is for everyone. And for that part, totally respect your opinion.

However, I did decide to go in blind as I unfortunately have very few ways to test things out beforehand. And just received gold #885 about twenty minutes ago.

First impressions from my cayin n6ii are real good. They sound... Right, for lack of a better word. Very very detailed, soundstage is good. To me they feel lacking in bass, but that's likely more to do with my current baseline as I have been listening to the atlas and more recently the obravo cupid. It just lacks the physicality o am used to from dynamic drivers. But it doesn't necessarily feel lacking in regards to the rest of it's presentation.

Anyways just some very brief impressions from like 10 minutes of listening so far.

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #8,052 of 9,829
that's a first - the andro isn't worth $20 :sweat_smile:

ROFL

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #8,053 of 9,829
I feel like you had to be aware that saying they wouldn't be worth 20 dollars to you would definitely ruffle feathers. It's the type of statement that seems destined just to stir up controversy. It just happened to have a genuine opinion wrapped in there too. No iem is for everyone. And for that part, totally respect your opinion.

However, I did decide to go in blind as I unfortunately have very few ways to test things out beforehand. And just received gold #885 about twenty minutes ago.

First impressions from my cayin n6ii are real good. They sound... Right, for lack of a better word. Very very detailed, soundstage is good. To me they feel lacking in bass, but that's likely more to do with my current baseline as I have been listening to the atlas and more recently the obravo cupid. It just lacks the physicality o am used to from dynamic drivers. But it doesn't necessarily feel lacking in regards to the rest of it's presentation.

Anyways just some very brief impressions from like 10 minutes of listening so far.

I knew it would ruffle proverbial feathers, but on the other hand, the reason i said it was because it was one of the few instances over experiences where it was true (sonically, it’s clearly built better than a 20$ iem); I often enough come across stuff I don’t personally like, but I can still appreciate the objective quality of the product, if the tuning is just off to me or the like - this was one of the very rare cases where a product just genuinely sounded that bad to me, or that unimpressive.
In other words expressing that to me it didn’t just miss my personal taste slightly, it was way off, in apparently every way.
So to the accuracy of the point, maybe not 20$, but I’d take a Tin T3 any day over what I heard, and I find T3 bright (ie not my preference either)... and I find that close enough to 20$ comparatively.

And I know the lack of ability to audition all too well...that’s why I’m so cautious.

Anyway, enough of that nonsense, it’s good that you enjoy your Gold edition!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #8,054 of 9,829
I knew it would ruffle proverbial feathers, but on the other hand, the reason i said it was because it was one of the few instances over experiences where it was true (sonically, it’s clearly built better than a 20$ iem); I often enough come across stuff I don’t personally like, but I can still appreciate the objective quality of the product, if the tuning is just off to me or the like - this was one of the very rare cases where a product just genuinely sounded that bad to me, or that unimpressive.
In other words expressing that to me it didn’t just miss my personal taste slightly, it was way off, in apparently every way.
So to the accuracy of the point, maybe not 20$, but I’d take a Tin T3 any day over what I heard, and I find T3 bright (ie not my preference either)... and I find that close enough to 20$ comparatively.

And I know the lack of ability to audition all too well...that’s why I’m so cautious.

Anyway, enough of that nonsense, it’s good that you enjoy your Gold edition!

Yea it's all good, just wanted to point it out because I figured you should likely be expecting a certain type of response from your post.

And I am cautious too, but luckily have not been steered wrong with the high end ca stuff I have bought (regardless of any controversies). And to me the gold's sound quite nice. I have heard a few iems in my day that sound wrong or off and for me at least I am happy to say these are not one of them, and technically they are quite good and seem very resolving. But as always, subjective opinions and preferences and all that. I certainly don't think they are perfect and they don't hit every note for me, but now up to about an hour of listening and I am quite enjoying them.

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #8,055 of 9,829

How does the andro GSE hold up to the atlas on the rest of the frequency range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back