Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Feb 2, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #6,691 of 9,829
Listened to the Solaris again today (only my second time) and I was not impressed. Even with the SP1000 on Bal, it was too dark for my taste (sounded somewhat noisy and congested). This is of course a very personal thing.

It might also be that my brain has calibrated itself to the sound of the Andromeda S and that is what it recognizes as correct.

I'm just posting to let my Androbrothers (there are no sisters, let's be honest) know that they are not crazy if the prefer the Andromeda. :)

How much time did the Solaris have on them? Many reports suggest that burn-in is essential. Of course you may still prefer Andros to burned in Solaris...

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #6,692 of 9,829
How much time did the Solaris have on them? Many reports suggest that burn-in is essential. Of course you may still prefer Andros to burned in Solaris...

This demo has been at the dealer for almost 2 months now. They already had more than 100 hours the first time I auditioned them.

Feb 2, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #6,693 of 9,829
Burn in on the Solaris was a non factor for me. Was the first one to listen to the demo Solaris at my local store. Also listened to it a couple weeks later with it being burned in by the store owner. Sound didn't change for me. However, I have it up there at the very top of the IEMs I've heard. Bass improvement was noticeable. However the Andro S still seems like it has the advantage in terms of sense of space.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #6,694 of 9,829
Burn in on the Solaris was a non factor for me. Was the first one to listen to the demo Solaris at my local store. Also listened to it a couple weeks later with it being burned in by the store owner. Sound didn't change for me. However, I have it up there at the very top of the IEMs I've heard. Bass improvement was noticeable. However the Andro S still seems like it has the advantage in terms of sense of space.
I've heard that the Solaris is really large compared to other IEMs. How well do they fit in your ears?

Feb 3, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #6,695 of 9,829
I've heard that the Solaris is really large compared to other IEMs. How well do they fit in your ears?

They fit well and are quite comfortable. The problem for me is that they extend too far out of the ear, so wearing a winter hat or anything like that does not really work. Whether that matters to you or not...

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #6,699 of 9,829
T20 is congested, muffled, bull in a china shop comparing to andromeda.
Lol, but please, tell us how you really feel. :)

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #6,700 of 9,829
There is more to take into account than just the drivers. The housing is made of stainless steel as well as being a bit larger, and I believe drivers can be tuned differently, can they not?

I had my Andromeda S for a couple weeks and ended up selling it for a few reasons.
While it did sound incredible.. so much so that they are the only IEMs that I've had to date where I didn't need to EQ them at all, I didn't like the problems with hiss, even out of my wm1a and zx300. Surprisingly, the zx300 has half the amount of hiss, to where it's almost unnoticeable.

The second thing was the condensation buildup on the nozzle end. Idk if my ears are extra hot, but it got a lot worse than it seems to for others.
There's no way I'm getting a ifi-match and I was worried about condensation on the long run, so I just ordered a pair of Solaris.

Not the first impressions I was hoping to give, but what can I do.

I don't hear any hiss from my Andromeda S with the zx300. Either balanced or SE. High gain or low gain. Maybe it's an advantage of old ears :D
Although I can hear hiss loudly from my Fiio Q1m2. I don't like iematch, it kills the soundstage for me. BTW do try the Sony M9, if I recall correctly it has the satisfying black background.

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #6,702 of 9,829
I don't hear any hiss from my Andromeda S with the zx300. Either balanced or SE. High gain or low gain. Maybe it's an advantage of old ears :D
Although I can hear hiss loudly from my Fiio Q1m2. I don't like iematch, it kills the soundstage for me. BTW do try the Sony M9, if I recall correctly it has the satisfying black background.
Haha I'm glad for you then. It didn't seem to matter if I was in high Gain or low gain. It was definitely there when I plugged the Andromedas in. Sometimes it seemed like the hiss disappeared after a couple minutes but I thought it was just my ears getting used to it.
Listened to the Solaris again today (only my second time) and I was not impressed. Even with the SP1000 on Bal, it was too dark for my taste (sounded somewhat noisy and congested). This is of course a very personal thing.

It might also be that my brain has calibrated itself to the sound of the Andromeda S and that is what it recognizes as correct.

I'm just posting to let my Androbrothers (there are no sisters, let's be honest) know that they are not crazy if the prefer the Andromeda. :)

I feel like it takes me at least a day to get used to a new pair of IEMs.. And it took me 3 with the Andromeda S, but after that I loved them.

Btw you were right about the condensation on the Solaris, but it's no as bad, and it's not there all the time.

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #6,703 of 9,829
I've been reluctant to venture too deep into IEM's, but I guess Andromeda will be my first high-end IEM.

This Review by SED, a Headfier may help you decide. Posted yesterday, it's a comparison between 4 TOTL iem's. Reading it has me lusting after the U18 Tzar, but they are three times the price of my Green Andromedas and as the same review indicates they're not x3 better.

As an aside:
I've never heard Hiss from my Andro's except when it's part of the recording (some old tracks), source being an AK70 Mkii

Those suffering condensation problems should move to the UK, we don't have such issues here, but we don't have such nice weather either

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #6,704 of 9,829
Would anybody be able to compare how the mojo and zx300 perform with Andromedas?

I own a zx300 and love it with my Andromeds S and I can hear no hiss, even though some people say there is some.
I am thinking of picking up a Mojo mainly for movies and games due to the dac mode delay on zx300. But it could end up being my main rig for PC.
I had a mojo before the zx300 and loved it with my Cascades but see mixed reports with the Andromeda and have never tried it myself.

For information I recently tried an Xdsd and found the sound signature ok but the hiss was too loud to be acceptable for me.

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #6,705 of 9,829
Haha I'm glad for you then. It didn't seem to matter if I was in high Gain or low gain. It was definitely there when I plugged the Andromedas in. Sometimes it seemed like the hiss disappeared after a couple minutes but I thought it was just my ears getting used to it.

I feel like it takes me at least a day to get used to a new pair of IEMs.. And it took me 3 with the Andromeda S, but after that I loved them.
I only notice a hiss when my v20 is plugged in to it's charger although i have yet to test other daps with the andros

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back