Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jan 3, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #6,482 of 9,829
Do you EQ your andros? I feel guilty doing it, but just love a little extra V.
I EQ'ed my Andromeda S in an attempt to match the FR curve of the Green. I thought the result was surprisingly close to how the Green sounds. But I don't EQ it for general listening.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #6,486 of 9,829
I will look into both options. The sp1000m also seems great to drive my cascades and has roon if I ever get NAS so it might be worth it. Not sure yet how the hiss is with either though.
There is a slight hiss on the SP1000m but for someone like me who is sensitive to it, it's not too much of a bother. Can barely notice it in quiet passages.

The pairing is really great. Quite stunning with accoustic and female vocals. Best to audition for yourself if possible of course.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #6,487 of 9,829
There is a slight hiss on the SP1000m but for someone like me who is sensitive to it, it's not too much of a bother. Can barely notice it in quiet passages.

The pairing is really great. Quite stunning with accoustic and female vocals. Best to audition for yourself if possible of course.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll read up on the DAP to see whether it would be worth the money :)

Additional questions in general for Andromeda users?

What eartips does everyone use? I read somewhere that a good seal means a snap of the fingers would sound very dull without having music playing. I never feel like this appears to be the case with my Andromeda? Is it normal that it seems to isolate badly?

Secondly is a balanced cable worth it for Andromeda?

Lastly for someone who is very much into female acoustic music, is it worth re buying Andromeda in the SS version? Or is the difference that subtle that j could also achieve it with EQ probably?

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #6,488 of 9,829
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll read up on the DAP to see whether it would be worth the money :)

Additional questions in general for Andromeda users?

What eartips does everyone use? I read somewhere that a good seal means a snap of the fingers would sound very dull without having music playing. I never feel like this appears to be the case with my Andromeda? Is it normal that it seems to isolate badly?

Secondly is a balanced cable worth it for Andromeda?

Lastly for someone who is very much into female acoustic music, is it worth re buying Andromeda in the SS version? Or is the difference that subtle that j could also achieve it with EQ probably?

I have tip-rolled extensively (SpinFit CP100, Final E Tips, Stock Silicone, Symbio W, Symbio Peel, Marshmallow, JVC Spiral Dots, Acoustune AET07 (Clarity), Acoustune AET08 (Bass), Comply Foam)... i find that the Andromedas shine with Wide Bore tips and that these tips should have a good/great/perfect seal. Personally JVC Spiral Dots are perfect for me, followed by the Symbio Peel and Acoustune AET07. Stock wide bore sounds good too! The narrow bore ones tend to bloat the bass (spinfits CP100, final E).

Going balanced is more of a question is how well is the balanced implementation on your DAP. I pair it with a Sony ZX-300 and it is very very good. YMMV.

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #6,489 of 9,829
I have tip-rolled extensively (SpinFit CP100, Final E Tips, Stock Silicone, Symbio W, Symbio Peel, Marshmallow, JVC Spiral Dots, Acoustune AET07 (Clarity), Acoustune AET08 (Bass), Comply Foam)... i find that the Andromedas shine with Wide Bore tips and that these tips should have a good/great/perfect seal. Personally JVC Spiral Dots are perfect for me, followed by the Symbio Peel and Acoustune AET07. Stock wide bore sounds good too! The narrow bore ones tend to bloat the bass (spinfits CP100, final E).

Going balanced is more of a question is how well is the balanced implementation on your DAP. I pair it with a Sony ZX-300 and it is very very good. YMMV.
Thanks! I was Also looking at the Sony but you can't stream Spotify on it which I usually use for discovering new music to buy so that's kind of unfortunate.

I'll try the spiral dots again.. Just out of curiosity do you deep insert a smaller size or shallow fit a rather large one that makes the earpiece hang out of the ear?

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #6,490 of 9,829
For those of you looking for a pair of decent foam tips, try Crystalline Audio's Crystal Tips. I like them better than the Marshmallow tips and they are definitely more durable than the Complys.

My personal foam tips preference: Crystal > Marshmallow >>> Comply

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #6,491 of 9,829
Thanks! I was Also looking at the Sony but you can't stream Spotify on it which I usually use for discovering new music to buy so that's kind of unfortunate.

I'll try the spiral dots again.. Just out of curiosity do you deep insert a smaller size or shallow fit a rather large one that makes the earpiece hang out of the ear?

Hurts after awhile if it's deep insertion (that didn't come out wrong, did it :deadhorse:) so I use ML size and shallow fit.
With Sony you actually can stream; since version 2.00 of the firmware came out, Bluetooth receiver function got enabled and you can pair with your phone/laptop to do it. See here.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #6,492 of 9,829
Hurts after awhile if it's deep insertion (that didn't come out wrong, did it :deadhorse:) so I use ML size and shallow fit.
With Sony you actually can stream; since version 2.00 of the firmware came out, Bluetooth receiver function got enabled and you can pair with your phone/laptop to do it. See here.

That's interesting. Do you lose any quality as Its Bluetooth? Or any interference in general? Any recommendation for balanced cable if I were to opt into this sony?

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #6,493 of 9,829
That's interesting. Do you lose any quality as Its Bluetooth? Or any interference in general? Any recommendation for balanced cable if I were to opt into this sony?

I did actually, and that's because of the source. All my files in the DAP are lossless vs Apple Music (at 256kbps AAC). I reckon this also has to do with the throughput limitation in streaming as Apple does not support LDAC. I have not tried streaming my lossless records with FLAC via laptop though but you just gave me an idea. Those loss in quality is very minimal IMO but it's best if you can try it at a local meet or shop.

I tend to go with cheaper cables; purely subjective depending on your budget. The most expensive one I've tried at a local shop with the Andro was Effect Audio Thor II+ silver (~USD 400) and while it did bring the mids slightly forward, to me the improvement was not worth the cost.
Fiio LC4.4C or iBasso's new CB-12s 4.4m both look good.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #6,494 of 9,829
I did actually, and that's because of the source. All my files in the DAP are lossless vs Apple Music (at 256kbps AAC). I reckon this also has to do with the throughput limitation in streaming as Apple does not support LDAC. I have not tried streaming my lossless records with FLAC via laptop though but you just gave me an idea. Those loss in quality is very minimal IMO but it's best if you can try it at a local meet or shop.

I tend to go with cheaper cables; purely subjective depending on your budget. The most expensive one I've tried at a local shop with the Andro was Effect Audio Thor II+ silver (~USD 400) and while it did bring the mids slightly forward, to me the improvement was not worth the cost.
Fiio LC4.4C or iBasso's new CB-12s 4.4m both look good.

Hmm what you mentioned got me thinking since I often stream Spotify on my phone with Andromeda's (which isn't even FLAC) but then again I often fail tests A/B between 320 and FLAC.
Essentially got me thinking maybe I wouldn't notice a big increase in sound quality between SP1000M and streaming spotify from my S9+ via Aptx-HD to the Ifi xDsD..
Then again I'm not sure how much hiss either produces and how big the difference in audio quality is :)
(Haven't found a local option to test these two setups either)

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #6,495 of 9,829
Anyone have the new apple usb c - 3.5mm dongle? If it is the same dac/amp is the lightning dongle for $9 this is the best value for the Andro. Has anyone had a chance to try out the new dongle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back