Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #6,496 of 9,829
Initial impressions of the SS are extremely positive. I love my Jupiters but this takes it to a whole 'nother level. Bass hits way harder and seems to go deeper, highs lose the little bit of sharpness that the Jupiter has and maybe extend further, the mids are much more forward and bring vocals to the front of the mix instead of getting lost in middle of the music. Very pleased so far.

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #6,497 of 9,829
I just bought the Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro (Open-Headphones).
What can I say: I LOVE them!!

Now, I have a problem: I would like to have IEM that sounds like that for when I'm not at home.

I have the Campfire Andromeda which are supposed to be airy, bright... but hey, the DT 1990 Pro just blows me away in this regards and compared to the Andromeda! I cannot appreciate the Andromeda anymore as before.

So, again my question: Do you know about IEM that sounds as the DT 1990 Pro? Or are my Andromeda somehow "broken" because it does not sound so bright…?! :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #6,499 of 9,829
I just bought the Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro (Open-Headphones).
What can I say: I LOVE them!!

Now, I have a problem: I would like to have IEM that sounds like that for when I'm not at home.

I have the Campfire Andromeda which are supposed to be airy, bright... but hey, the DT 1990 Pro just blows me away in this regards and compared to the Andromeda! I cannot appreciate the Andromeda anymore as before.

So, again my question: Do you know about IEM that sounds as the DT 1990 Pro? Or are my Andromeda somehow "broken" because it does not sound so bright…?! :wink:

I'm now a bit confused. I compared the Andromeda with the DT 1990 Pro on my iPhone and the Andromeda sounds brighter and I like it better. On the PC with the Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable II there is a big difference between both in favor of the DT 1990 Pro.

Sorry for the noob questions…

1. How this can be? I mean, how can the source change the sound signature in a such good/bad way?

2. Which DAC would be the best to pair with Andromeda?

3. Is it possible that the same DAC sounds difference with different sources like iPhone, PC etc.? If yes, which source would be the best oder better than the iPhone to pair Andromeda?

I will try later to make the same comparison with the iPad Pro + the Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable II and I will report back.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #6,500 of 9,829
I'm now a bit confused. I compared the Andromeda with the DT 1990 Pro on my iPhone and the Andromeda sounds brighter and I like it better. On the PC with the Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable II there is a big difference between both in favor of the DT 1990 Pro.

Sorry for the noob question… how this can be?

Google on Andromeda output impedance effect.

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #6,501 of 9,829
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #6,502 of 9,829

Sorry for the noob questions…

1. How this can be? I mean, how can the source change the sound signature in a such good/bad way?

2. Which DAC would be the best to pair with Andromeda?

3. Is it possible that the same DAC sounds difference with different sources like iPhone, PC etc.? If yes, which source would be the best oder better than the iPhone to pair Andromeda?

I will try later to make the same comparison with the iPad Pro + the Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable II and I will report back.

The most important thing you should concern yourself with is the output impedance of your source. Somewhere between 1 - 2.5 Ohms works best for most people (lower for more bass, higher for more air). This only applies to the Andromeda, it's not a general remark.

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #6,503 of 9,829
The most important thing you should concern yourself with is the output impedance of your source. Somewhere between 1 - 2.5 Ohms works best for most people (lower for more bass, higher for more air). This only applies to the Andromeda, it's not a general remark.

I just bought the iEMatch which is supposed to help with the output impedance of the Andromeda. We will see!

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #6,505 of 9,829
I can confirm that it sounds on the iPhone / iPad just better than on the PC, and it is there better than the DT 1990 Pro.

People... this Andromeda just rocks! I have it for a year and it wows me again and again.

Now, I have a reverse question: Do you know a headphone which sounds similar or better than the Andromeda?

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #6,510 of 9,829
Received the Andromeda S today, via Hifiheadphones here in UK.

Was looking for an upgrade on my Shure SE846 and it seems these babies are bang on the money - so much more revealing, balanced and above all, musical. Wow. Perfect from my LGV30 too, so no impedence issues there. Bags of power.

First blush of romance, of course, so bags of salt and all that, but these are pretty acetastic. Not quite as big and difficult to fit as I thought they would be either, albeit not as comfy as stealth as the Shures.

On tips, the foam ones that come fitted fit my ears perfectly, as do the medium silicones. The latter are better sonically, easily, so will run with those.

What do others recommend for tips to try? Need to be easily purchasable in UK, so if you have links or advise accordingly, big cheers in advance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back