Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #5,926 of 9,829
My Andro S. No sibilance on my pair. I don't think these would have this many folks buying them if they were actually a sibilant mess. Didn't hear sibilance on the green pair I tried out next to the S version either.

I got to hear a lot of very high end earphones at RMAF this past weekend. Came away with a shiny new Andromeda S. These sound better to my ears than a lot of much more expensive offerings there. Earphones like the JH Layla and CTM Da Vinci 10 and Tia Fourte. Sure they have a bit more stage, different sonically but for me.

None of them are worth spending double the price for. Andromedas imo was easily comparable to a lot of the flagships I heard. These got my vote for best value by far. I know it is weird to think a 1K earphone has value but believe me. The extra 1K in money for earphones definitely don't get you an extra 1K worth of sound.
I came away from the London CanJam with exactly the same feelings about the Andromeda after listening to all the offerings from the likes of Empire Ears and 64Audio.
I asked KB if he had any thoughts on a newer Andro and he said no, only the S version. This is how confident he is of the Andromeda and how it has become an iconic benchmark for many to attempt to equal or better it. Campfires quality is not just in sound, build quality and styling is also second to none.
Sibilance !!!!! Not with mine using the Ibasso DX200Ti.
There’s certainly no exaggeration when Campfire say “Nicely Done” :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #5,927 of 9,829
Best change has been the Reference 8 cable, wow , can't believe a cable could change the sound that much ! Wont be going back to the Litz !

Can you describe the improvement? I'm looking forward to hear what accessories you settle on after your vacation. Should serve as good inspiration for the rest of us.

I got to hear a lot of very high end earphones at RMAF this past weekend. Came away with a shiny new Andromeda S. These sound better to my ears than a lot of much more expensive offerings there. Earphones like the JH Layla and CTM Da Vinci 10 and Tia Fourte. Sure they have a bit more stage, different sonically but for me.

Could you please clarify the phrase in bold?

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #5,929 of 9,829
These are my impressions from Can Jam in Denver. You can read up on how I rank the Andro S in this post.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-rmaf-2018-impressions-oct-5-7-2018.890427/page-6

I totally agree with your impressions, I own the 64 Audio A18t and the U12 Kickstarter version and I feel the Andromeda S can compete with these two quite well. It's not always about technical performance and I think the S achieves such an awesome balance between technical ability and musicality. It's just so damn engaging, addictive even!

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #5,930 of 9,829
Oh man you aint kidding. I was so smitten with the the S on first listen. The sonics stayed with me the entire show. I heard the rest then came back. Introdueced myself to Ken Ball. Gave him my credit card.

IER-Z1R really was the star of the show but the Andro S I had to have. Especially after hearing the rest.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #5,931 of 9,829
Well, if anyone recalls I was wanting to buy the Andromeda S but didn't want the leather case as I'm vegan. I checked with Addicted to Audio here in Australia to see if they'd switch out the leather case to a PU leather case that Ken had very generously offered to send to Australia for me. Addicted to Audio replied and said there was no need for Ken to send a case, and that they could switch it out with one from their own stock.

After much deliberation, and selling off most of my other gear, I've now made my single biggest audio purchase for the Andromeda S. I am typically the kind of person that tries to maximise the price to performance on anything I buy as I'm a student without a massive income, and even at $1,599AUD, I feel like I'm still achieving that. It's also nice to support a company that not only creates incredible products from beautiful materials, but also back it up with the kind of customer support that Ken Ball is able to offer. I cannot wait to receive my new IEM's!

These are my impressions from Can Jam in Denver. You can read up on how I rank the Andro S in this post.
Your post has helped me to be even further at ease with my purchase. Very nice write-up!

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #5,932 of 9,829
Andromeda was the most sibilant IEM in the $1000 price range I have ever heard. No idea how it got their popularity but one thing is for sure; it wasn't their sound quality.

As with all IEMs if you dont have a good fit /seal and its not air tight any IEM will sound thin. Sibilant would be the last word that comes to mind with describing the Andromeda, anyhow sorry they are not for you. Possibly impedance mismatch but I would think a improper seal would be more likely. Anyhow Wow, bold post Speakerz2017 :smile_phones: Again if you have a chance to catch me at a show I can work closer with you in trying different tips and angles to make sure you have a good fit. But totally understand if the Andros are not your cup of tea.

You are right though, the Andromeda is by far our best selling most award winning and most popular model we have ever made, by a far margin.

Next show for us is Fujiya-Avic Tokyo headphone festival October 27-28 and then the following week CanJam Shanghai!!!, we have a new grown man toy to show! and are super excited to attend these next 2 shows.
Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 9, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #5,933 of 9,829
Sibilant..No
Sourced from my Mojo via IEMatch high setting ( 1OI ) with SpinFits/SpiralDots/Mandarins = God Teir

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #5,934 of 9,829
No sibilance issues from me to report either, and I listen to a lot of Jpop/Kpop so it'd be a deal breaker for me! Source is an A&K SE100, lossless using Symbio W tips.

2 weeks in now as my daily driver so the honeymoon period should be done and dusted but the Andros are truly lovely IEMs and a gift that keeps on giving :) Going through my old music I find myself regularly shouting "f*cking ridiculous!" at what I'm hearing... which at times confuses the hell out of my dogs lol (don't worry, belly rubs followed suit :p).

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #5,935 of 9,829
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #5,936 of 9,829
As with all IEMs if you dont have a good fit /seal and its not air tight any IEM will sound thin. Sibilant would be the last word that comes to mind with describing the Andromeda, anyhow sorry they are not for you. Possibly impedance mismatch but I would think a improper seal would be more likely. Anyhow Wow, bold post Speakerz2017 :smile_phones: Again if you have a chance to catch me at a show I can work closer with you in trying different tips and angles to make sure you have a good fit. But totally understand if the Andros are not your cup of tea.

You are right though, the Andromeda is by far our best selling most award winning and most popular model we have ever made, by a far margin.

Next show for us is Fujiya-Avic Tokyo headphone festival October 27-28 and then the following week CanJam Shanghai!!!, we have a new grown man toy to show! and are super excited to attend these next 2 shows.
Ken
C’mon, throw us a bone lol

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #5,937 of 9,829
Just received my Andro S today. 2 hours ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20181009_185322_429.jpg
    IMG_20181009_185322_429.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
Oct 9, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #5,939 of 9,829
Can you describe the improvement? I'm looking forward to hear what accessories you settle on after your vacation. Should serve as good inspiration for the rest of us.

I can't wait to spend more time with these and give a more detailed description of what my setup sounds like .

Could you please clarify the phrase in bold?
The man who truly has everything !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back