Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 11, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #5,551 of 9,829
Comparing Andromeda S to a normal Andromeda. Same tips, same source. Keep in mind that the normal version is a demo that probably has countless hours on it. The Andromeda S is on its first hour. I’m not sure if I believe in burn in, but here’s what I hear so far:

Andromeda S has thicker and more forward mids. I also feel that the bass is slightly more prominent, but that could just be a side effect of the mids being pushed forward.

The biggest difference is in the treble. The normal Andromeda “sparkle”... it’s not in the Andromeda S.

To be honest, I prefer the normal Andromeda’s sound quite a bit more. It’s just different from every other IEM on the market. But maybe I’ll come to love the Andromeda S eventually.

No more sparkle in treble? Oh no. Guess I will hear it in a while once I arrive the exhibition halls.

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #5,552 of 9,829
Comparing Andromeda S to a normal Andromeda. Same tips, same source. Keep in mind that the normal version is a demo that probably has countless hours on it. The Andromeda S is on its first hour. I’m not sure if I believe in burn in, but here’s what I hear so far:

Andromeda S has thicker and more forward mids. I also feel that the bass is slightly more prominent, but that could just be a side effect of the mids being pushed forward.

The biggest difference is in the treble. The normal Andromeda “sparkle”... it’s not in the Andromeda S.

To be honest, I prefer the normal Andromeda’s sound quite a bit more. It’s just different from every other IEM on the market. But maybe I’ll come to love the Andromeda S eventually.

Can you comment on if the S version has smoother physical edges on the IEM or is it about the same as the original version? Or if there's any noticeable difference in fit/weight? Thanks.

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #5,553 of 9,829
Can you comment on if the S version has smoother physical edges on the IEM or is it about the same as the original version? Or if there's any noticeable difference in fit/weight? Thanks.

Physical edges: about the same.

Weight: Andro S is definitely heavier.

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #5,554 of 9,829

just what i am after then!

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #5,556 of 9,829
QP2R / Andro combo is the best I have personally heard (I'm a ZX300 owner, for reference). Never heard the higher end A&K models, though.

I've been using CA Andromeda (balanced) with my new Questyle QP2R (I previously had a QP1R) and the sound is awesome. With the standard 3.5 Litz cable the sound is just fantastic, slightly dark but very inviting and open enough; you can listen to it for hours. The balanced Litz cable with QP2R opens the soundstage more maintaining a superb tone and rising the dynamic impact of the music. I use high bias in the QP2R. It competes well with my much more pricier desktop and speaker system (see signature) Incredible. Best portable combo I've ever had.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #5,560 of 9,829
Is the Stainless Steel surface more scratch prone in your opinion? Thanks!
Worry no, if you secure each earpiece in chair sock respectively . Bought from Daiso :D (Not sure Andros S come with protective mini string bags?) 20180811_212844.jpg

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #5,561 of 9,829
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #5,562 of 9,829
I hate to say this, especially I am an owner of the original Andromeda. The SS version is better sounding than normal version. Vocals, mids are clearly a notch up. Those wanting to purchase the Andromeda, go for the SS version.

He all,

Skye thank you, I figured many would prefer the Andromeda S, but yet many also the classic Andromeda. I was VERY careful to only ever so slightly alter the tuning of the Andromeda S as not to change something that is not broken. Rather the tweak to the classic Andromeda is indeed exactly how you have keenly observed.... golden ear. The main diff is that mid rage vocal touch we added. The great thing about the Andromeda S is that is still retains everything good about the classic Andromeda.

I also would like to note that the Andromeda S is a one time limited run, we are only making one main production run on the polished stainless steel Andromeda S and after this production run we will not have anymore. I am saying this because our previous special edition Andromedas (Snow white, Iceberg and the blue cerakote) when these ran out we had so many people asked for these and we did not have them. I dont want to sound all sales-y but warning, we are only making one run of these. Also sorry for the delay from when you order one and when we will actually ship them, so apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience. We had 200 sets delivered for the show in Hong Kong and at the same time had a larger order of shells made which will be delivered next month.

Andromeda S, yes it will scratch but the cumulative scratching actually is not as noticeable as say the green anodizing wearing off and showing the raw aluminum. So IMO the stainless steel ends up looking way better over time as they age. Its a lot like my watch case that is the same grade stainless steel material. My watch is 8 years old and the polished case has lots of micro scratches but still looks awesome, I would argue the worn in look of the stainless steel looks, cooler in a wabi-sabi kind of way.

Cheers,

Ken

Last edited:
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #5,563 of 9,829
He all,

Skye thank you, I figured many would prefer the Andromeda S, but yet many also the classic Andromeda. I was VERY careful to only ever so slightly alter the tuning of the Andromeda S as not to change something that is not broken. Rather the tweak to the classic Andromeda is indeed exactly how you have keenly observed.... golden ear. The main diff is that mid rage vocal touch we added. The great thing about the Andromeda S is that is still retains everything good about the classic Andromeda.

I also would like to note that the Andromeda S is a one time limited run, we are only making one main production run on the polished stainless steel Andromeda S and after this production run we will not have anymore. I am saying this because our previous special edition Andromedas (Snow white, Iceberg and the blue cerakote) when these ran out we had so many people asked for these and we did not have them. I dont want to sound all sales-y but warning, we are only making one run of these. Also sorry for the delay from when you order one and when we will actually ship them, so apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience. We had 200 sets delivered for the show in Hong Kong and at the same time had a larger order of shells made which will be delivered next month.

Andromeda S, yes it will scratch but the cumulative scratching actually is not as noticeable as say the green anodizing wearing off and showing the raw aluminum. So IMO the stainless steel ends up looking way better over time as they age. Its a lot like my watch case that is the same grade stainless steel material. My watch is 8 years old and the polished case has lots of micro scratches but still looks awesome, I would argue the worn in look of the stainless steel looks, cooler in a wabi-sabi kind of way.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks from HK Head-fier. As far as I know, it sells like a charm here.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #5,564 of 9,829
He all,

Cheers,

Ken

Oh Ken, I can't be buying another Andromeda... Not only it sounds better, it looks better as well... Argh.... Look at what you are doing to us...

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #5,565 of 9,829
Same here *sob* with the same price

haha, what comes around comes around.

My original plan is to get The Andromeda and be happy with it for a year or two.

And then when CA decides to come out with the successor/new flagship, maybe I jump ship then..

I don't know what CA stance on hybrid IEMs, but I found the Andro's mid very good sounding.

Imagine, if you have a DD driving the lows while having newer better driver to replace the old BA driver in mids and high, but keeps the tuning in check, that would be a dream.

Like I said, The mids already sounds very good, I wonder how Ken makes this even better? that will be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back