Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 29, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #5,866 of 9,829
So what is the difference between the Andromedia S and the original one?

And is there some upgrade program or do you need to buy a new set? (If it is a S model, I suppose they share alot of the internal components and thus it would be possible to replace some of the old ones that makes it a S model)
No upgrades. This isn't Apple. Andromeda S is a Limited-Edition Variant of the Andromeda. It sports a different aesthetic and a slightly different tuning, though still remarkably similar to the original, but unique enough to be a valued add to a collection.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #5,867 of 9,829
So what is the difference between the Andromedia S and the original one?

And is there some upgrade program or do you need to buy a new set? (If it is a S model, I suppose they share alot of the internal components and thus it would be possible to replace some of the old ones that makes it a S model)
New mid driver and a steel shell are just enough to make a slight difference I guess. I’ll be able to compare them against the green Andro’s but not until November :cry:

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #5,868 of 9,829
I have been looking at this combo too (andromeda + reference 8) but haven't yet got permission from my wife & still in the process of selling gear madly.

How do you find single ended on the Cayin?

Interested in what you find and how you go.

I find the Cayin N5ii to be a very good DAP, albeit it does have some minor bugs with the software being that it uses Android OS but I'm a big fan of it. I have not tried anything else I must admit, apart from my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 using the Oppo HA-2 SE so I can't compare it to much.

I have not yet received my order of the Andro's yet, but when I auditioned them with my Cayin they performed extremely well, beyond anything I've heard before in terms of an IEM using single ended. I tried the Jupiter and I loved them also, but comparing the two, I noticed the increased separation and more pronounced mids in the Andro's and just overall better across the board. Once again, only minimal differences but enough to take the leap on the price tag of the Andro's.

I will definitely be buying a balanced cable for the Andromeda's to use with the Cayin, and most probably buy a IEMatch to go along with it as per other member's suggestions for the impedance range to be about 2-3ohms for the best performance. From what I can tell the ref 8 balanced cable from ALO looks to be as good as one can hope for considering they are a cable manufacturer.

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #5,870 of 9,829
One tip. To avoid scratches on Andromeda S, I use Dignis ARCA case to store them. Highly recommended.

Hear hear, The Dignis ARCA case is a must. I don't understand why manufacturers don't include dividers in their cases. The camera bag industry has done it for years, it's such a simple addition but benefits are tremendous.

Oct 1, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #5,872 of 9,829
Recently joined the Andromeda Green club :) Still in the honeymoon period at the moment but first impressions have been stellar!

To be honest I was super sceptical given the hype around it and was dreading the purchase despite getting it at a good discount, but those ill thoughts melted away after those first couple of hours of listening :L3000: Fit seems okay too as I was reading around about its edgy design and all. Settled on the included wide bore tips for now but more tip rolling will definitely follow suit.

My only gripe is that I wish the finish (whilst lovely) was tougher. Sure, over time the worn in look has its own appeal but I think some rubbing must have happened in transit as I see some of the finish on my left unit has gone already :frowning2:

One tip. To avoid scratches on Andromeda S, I use Dignis ARCA case to store them. Highly recommended.

Agreed. Not cheap though, but I think I'll be getting one too. My short term solution is to shove each unit into the corners of the leather case and rolling up the cable in the middle to try to keep them away from each other!

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #5,873 of 9,829
Recently joined the Andromeda Green club :) Still in the honeymoon period at the moment but first impressions have been stellar!

To be honest I was super sceptical given the hype around it and was dreading the purchase despite getting it at a good discount, but those ill thoughts melted away after those first couple of hours of listening :L3000: Fit seems okay too as I was reading around about its edgy design and all. Settled on the included wide bore tips for now but more tip rolling will definitely follow suit.

My only gripe is that I wish the finish (whilst lovely) was tougher. Sure, over time the worn in look has its own appeal but I think some rubbing must have happened in transit as I see some of the finish on my left unit has gone already :frowning2:

Agreed. Not cheap though, but I think I'll be getting one too. My short term solution is to shove each unit into the corners of the leather case and rolling up the cable in the middle to try to keep them away from each other!
Welcome to the club, the honeymoon period will go on and on and on. I’ve had mine for over a year now and they are still amazing me. As for protection, I bought some cotton gloves, cut two of the fingers off and stitched some elastic into the open end. Sorted and cost about £2.50 :smile_phones:
Your gonna be enjoying those little green gems for a long time to come :ksc75smile:

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #5,874 of 9,829
Hey everyone, so I just took the plunge and bought the Andromeda's in green. I've got a question regarding a balanced cable. Would it be recommended to go the ALO balanced cable or look at other manufacturers like Forza Audioworks and the like? I'm using a Cayin N5ii as my DAP.

Thanks.
REF 8 is a lot more neutral vs the SXC 8. One notable observation is that SXC8's bass reaches a lot deeper. I don't mean low impedance bass deep, but actual thickness and depth of it sounds more like a DD driver than a BA. Currently I'm using SXC 8 until I want something thin again.

If anyone is curious, you're welcome to audition them from me in the Los Angeles area. (SXC 8, REF 8, Litz)

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #5,875 of 9,829
I'm currently still using the pouches that came with the S, storing the IEMs with the pouches & SXC cable in a Pelican 1010 case. I'm thinking about getting the VanNuys VD608 and using it with the Pelican case, anyone here tried VD608 before?

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #5,876 of 9,829
REF 8 is a lot more neutral vs the SXC 8. One notable observation is that SXC8's bass reaches a lot deeper. I don't mean low impedance bass deep, but actual thickness and depth of it sounds more like a DD driver than a BA. Currently I'm using SXC 8 until I want something thin again.

If anyone is curious, you're welcome to audition them from me in the Los Angeles area. (SXC 8, REF 8, Litz)
Totally agree with what you say about the SXC-8, bought mine at the London CanJam. KB said it was their best cable, it’s easy to see why and hear why lol
It’s a very heavy cable, especially for the Andro’s if your going portable but if your sitting and chilling it’s hard to beat.

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #5,877 of 9,829
Totally agree with what you say about the SXC-8, bought mine at the London CanJam. KB said it was their best cable, it’s easy to see why and hear why lol
It’s a very heavy cable, especially for the Andro’s if your going portable but if your sitting and chilling it’s hard to beat.

Ref 8 on the other hand isn't noticeably heavier than Litz. Works just as well for portable on the go usage.

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #5,878 of 9,829
Ref 8 on the other hand isn't noticeably heavier than Litz. Works just as well for portable on the go usage.
I use Ibasso’s CB13 on the move, far more flexible, very similar to the REF-8 but with zero microphonics. I love the SXC-8, but do not like how noisy it is, CB13 is way better for portable. Horses for courses I guess

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #5,879 of 9,829
I'm currently still using the pouches that came with the S, storing the IEMs with the pouches & SXC cable in a Pelican 1010 case. I'm thinking about getting the VanNuys VD608 and using it with the Pelican case, anyone here tried VD608 before?

That's a workable solution with the VanNuys + Pelican. But the time & effort trying to put them in and undo them, I think you can figure it out yourself.
I am not trying to sound snooty, but VanNuys in general are pretty lackluster, in terms of design, fabric and construction. They are what I would term basic tier, works but nothing fabulous.
Dignis is much better in all three areas. It's funny how the Korean labels are slowly churning better products than their neighbours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back