Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #5,881 of 9,829
That's a workable solution with the VanNuys + Pelican. But the time & effort trying to put them in and undo them, I think you can figure it out yourself.
I am not trying to sound snooty, but VanNuys in general are pretty lackluster, in terms of design, fabric and construction. They are what I would term basic tier, works but nothing fabulous.
Dignis is much better in all three areas. It's funny how the Korean labels are slowly churning better products than their neighbours.

I've never used any VanNuys or Dignis products but those multi-slot box/case looks very interesting, might get those in the future. I think if I get the VD608, I'll probably just put the IEMs in the sleeves and not worry about wrapping the cables, since they'll be in the Pelican case anyways. I even have the black Pelican case cause I wanted that extra foam padding on top.

Oct 1, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #5,882 of 9,829
The Dignis Hako case is really nice, much better than VanNuys multi-slot version. However, they only come in one size, whereas the VanNuys has them in multiple configurations.
They are not going to be better than the Pelican in terms of protection, but if you aren't subjecting them to rough usage, they certainly look more apt in civilised environments. :wink:

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #5,883 of 9,829
Guys, got my Andromeda S these days, one word: wow, just wow. You might have already heard a lot of impressions on it. So here's mine.

I have the original Andromeda and Andromeda CK Snow White as well. It is impossible to tell which one is the best. They are just all excellent.

I let two of my audiophile friends(They never tried any Campfire earphone before) tried all three. We have the same conclusion. Man, it's just so impressive that Ken and his team were able to achieve something like this. I mean, technically they are all Andromeda, sharing the same foundation (details, sound stage, clarity, etc). But at the same time, you do can tell the difference a lot. Really enjoyable to hear each of them.

To be honest, for people who look for recommendations for which Andromeda to go with. Here's my personal opinion for Andromeda CK Snow White and Andromeda S (I'll skip the original one since you can find tons of reviews)

Andromeda CK Snow White VS Andromeda:
More treble , less bass in a good way: make the treble just so addictive. Perfect pair with female vocal songs and some classic music like Violin solo or Piano solo. It is a kind of earphone that you might not like it initially compare to the original Andromeda, but you will like it a lot as long as you keep listening. Surprisingly, it's amazing for some vocal trance...Seriously, give it a shot.

Andromeda S VS Andromeda:
A bit more upper bass, slightly thicker and closer mid range, and more live feeling atmosphere, for real. It's perfect for most band music, close your eye while listening, then you might "touch the stage". Some people have concerns about the treble part, it sounds like slightly less treble, yet the treble part is actually the same details and amount as original Andromeda. The only reason that we heard "less" treble is because of the "enthusiastic" mid range.

BTW, my player is Sony WM1Z. I use 4.4 balanced output with Sony 4,4 cable all the time for comparison.

I'm going back to listen Andromeda S again, and hopefully share more in the future.

Here's a photo took by me for Ken and his team, nicely done!
IMG_348420180921-000151.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #5,884 of 9,829
I'm realizing with Andromeda that the Harman tuning isn't neutral to my ears. Andro doesn't have Harman turning yet sounds about right in the upper registers, but the mids can sound warmer than neutral depending on source or output impedance. My favorite source is Opus #2. It sounds tonally supported in definition than others I've tried. It's maybe the best pairing I've heard. Maybe the TOTL AK is better, but I think Opus #2 performs at a much better pricepoint although it's still not at the most reasonable pricepoint either.

I tried the Prophile 8 that the graph shows closer to Harman curve, and I hear more prominance in the upper mids than I'd prefer. Perhaps more neutral to other ears, but is it the graph influencing the ears due to the appearance of closer response curve to Harman? Looks can be deceiving in circumstances.

Based this, I find I prefer lowered 2-4k than the Harman curve. This maybe be for iems than full sized headphones.

Looking at Andro's graph response, you'd expect upper-mids to sound a bit recessed if comparing to Harman curve, but that isn't the case to what I hear.

Bass of Andro is not quite what people would stereotype as BA bass, it has a good richness to it's bass with a good quantity and definition.

Andro requires a precise bore size and well fitting tips to sound best.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #5,885 of 9,829

You're just missing the Pacific Blue Edition which IMO has a tiny bit more bass and treble extension (placebo maybe) than the standard green Andromeda

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #5,886 of 9,829
Based this, I find I prefer lowered 2-4k than the Harman curve. This maybe be for iems than full sized headphones.

Looking at Andro's graph response, you'd expect upper-mids to sound a bit recessed if comparing to Harman curve, but that isn't the case to what I hear.

Bass of Andro is not quite what people would stereotype as BA bass, it has a good richness to it's bass with a good quantity and definition.

I prefer the same sound sig as yours. I can confirm though that the Andromeda sounds warmer compared to the Harman target response but I prefer this signature as it gives body to the vocals hence the reason why this doesn't sound like a typical off-the-shelf BA sound. Upper mids doesn't sound recessed to me at all and I find it just right.

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #5,887 of 9,829
Guys, got my Andromeda S these days, one word: wow, just wow. You might have already heard a lot of impressions on it. So here's mine.

I have the original Andromeda and Andromeda CK Snow White as well. It is impossible to tell which one is the best. They are just all excellent.

I let two of my audiophile friends(They never tried any Campfire earphone before) tried all three. We have the same conclusion. Man, it's just so impressive that Ken and his team were able to achieve something like this. I mean, technically they are all Andromeda, sharing the same foundation (details, sound stage, clarity, etc). But at the same time, you do can tell the difference a lot. Really enjoyable to hear each of them.

To be honest, for people who look for recommendations for which Andromeda to go with. Here's my personal opinion for Andromeda CK Snow White and Andromeda S (I'll skip the original one since you can find tons of reviews)

Andromeda CK Snow White VS Andromeda:
More treble , less bass in a good way: make the treble just so addictive. Perfect pair with female vocal songs and some classic music like Violin solo or Piano solo. It is a kind of earphone that you might not like it initially compare to the original Andromeda, but you will like it a lot as long as you keep listening. Surprisingly, it's amazing for some vocal trance...Seriously, give it a shot.

Andromeda S VS Andromeda:
A bit more upper bass, slightly thicker and closer mid range, and more live feeling atmosphere, for real. It's perfect for most band music, close your eye while listening, then you might "touch the stage". Some people have concerns about the treble part, it sounds like slightly less treble, yet the treble part is actually the same details and amount as original Andromeda. The only reason that we heard "less" treble is because of the "enthusiastic" mid range.

BTW, my player is Sony WM1Z. I use 4.4 balanced output with Sony 4,4 cable all the time for comparison.

I'm going back to listen Andromeda S again, and hopefully share more in the future.

Thanks for the comparison!
I've been w/o my Andro-S for a week now. Replacement should arrive either tomorrow or Thurs. Can't wait to get back to exploring music with them again.

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #5,889 of 9,829
Hear hear, The Dignis ARCA case is a must. I don't understand why manufacturers don't include dividers in their cases. The camera bag industry has done it for years, it's such a simple addition but benefits are tremendous.
I separated my Andros with chair socks , it works like charm. Cheap and effective .

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #5,891 of 9,829
Nice, matches the cable cases.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #5,894 of 9,829
I spent some time with the Andros today using my Sony WM1A but I was left dissapointed with the lack of sub-bass with these. Everything else was great with them however. I felt they need a lift in this dept.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #5,895 of 9,829
What cable? I listened to my Andros yesterday using the SXC 8 balanced on the WM1A FW 3.0 and thought the bass was improved over FW 2.0.

If you really want sub-bass you need the Vega or Atlas as it will go deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back