Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 22, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #5,836 of 9,829
Sep 22, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #5,837 of 9,829
Michael Jackson's "Thriller", in 24-88.2, sounds crazy amazing.

Also, I think I'm really going to like the Final-E tips that were included. The M/L is great for the shallow fit of Andromeda. I think it tones down the bass just a touch, which pushed everything else further forward.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #5,838 of 9,829
Michael Jackson's "Thriller", in 24-88.2, sounds crazy amazing.

Also, I think I'm really going to like the Final-E tips that were included. The M/L is great for the shallow fit of Andromeda. I think it tones down the bass just a touch, which pushed everything else further forward.

Is this a SACD rip to PCM?

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #5,840 of 9,829
So I've found an oddity with the Andromeda. When paired with my AK70, I can hear hissing or humming. Now this isn't when it's playing mind you, this is only when I am touching the touch screen. When I do I hear a very faint buzzing in the background that lasts for as long as I am touching the screen. Anyone have any idea why it might be doing this?

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #5,841 of 9,829
Thanks, I think my first Andro pairing was with a AK240 which outputs 2 ohm. So >1 is more bass and <3 is more treble? Pretty sure WM1z is >1. It's not too bad, I EQ'd -2.5 at 125 Hz and +2.5 at 8 KHz and it's closer to what I like. Probably will tweak a little more perhaps 250 Hz and 4 Khz.

That is not my experience so far with WM1z. With my JH Laylas (reference tuned), I get very tight accurate bass and very well extended, airy highs. My WM1z impressions are here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-1548#post-14457068

The WM1Z was measured to be less then 1 Ohm if I can recall. That explains why the low end is more prominent on the Andro.
How I got around it by 1) tweaking the equalizer or 2) changing to a silver wire to bring out the highs.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #5,842 of 9,829
So I've found an oddity with the Andromeda. When paired with my AK70, I can hear hissing or humming. Now this isn't when it's playing mind you, this is only when I am touching the touch screen. When I do I hear a very faint buzzing in the background that lasts for as long as I am touching the screen. Anyone have any idea why it might be doing this?

Is yours the MKII? I don't get any hissing or humming. Are you listening while charging?
If you are, I suggest that you get a cleaner power source like the IFI iDefender + iPower. It works.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #5,843 of 9,829
Is yours the MKII? I don't get any hissing or humming. Are you listening while charging?
If you are, I suggest that you get a cleaner power source like the IFI iDefender + iPower. It works.

Mine is the MKI not the MKII, and it's not charging either. Its very strange. My only guess is that the Anrdo is sensitive enough to pick up the noise, as my preferred listening level on the AK70 with the Andro is 35/150.

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #5,844 of 9,829
When I had the AK DAPs, and I had it connected to a desktop for USB audio mode, I could hear buzzing and I think it was ground loop noise through the chassis. My experience is different from yours, I grounded the AK DAP when I touched the chassis, and the buzzing went away. How is such an expensive player not grounded well?!

My favorite player to use with Andro is Opus #2, and I get the best sound through USB audio mode streaming Tidal. When it's in this mode, the noise floor goes up or perhaps the gain is raised by the DAP. Same thing happened with AK DAPs. I don't do 32bit or upsampling. I let the #2 automatically switch to the original file sampling.

Opus #2 and AK DAPs are 2.4 ohm output impedance. I think maybe 3 ohm is the sweet-spot. Andro is characteristically warm in the lower mids, and the impedance will bring it down to more neutral.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #5,845 of 9,829
Mine is the MKI not the MKII, and it's not charging either. Its very strange. My only guess is that the Anrdo is sensitive enough to pick up the noise, as my preferred listening level on the AK70 with the Andro is 35/150.

I hate to say this but the AK70 in particular is rather xxxx in terms of usage and built. I only use mine when I am on the go, travelling and the form factor is great. Other than that.... xxxx

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #5,846 of 9,829
When I had the AK DAPs, and I had it connected to a desktop for USB audio mode, I could hear buzzing and I think it was ground loop noise through the chassis. My experience is different from yours, I grounded the AK DAP when I touched the chassis, and the buzzing went away. How is such an expensive player not grounded well?!

My favorite player to use with Andro is Opus #2, and I get the best sound through USB audio mode streaming Tidal. When it's in this mode, the noise floor goes up or perhaps the gain is raised by the DAP. Same thing happened with AK DAPs. I don't do 32bit or upsampling. I let the #2 automatically switch to the original file sampling.

Opus #2 and AK DAPs are 2.4 ohm output impedance. I think maybe 3 ohm is the sweet-spot. Andro is characteristically warm in the lower mids, and the impedance will bring it down to more neutral.

Absolutely, I can't remember how many times I got zapped in my ear with AK DAPs. Great industrial design, but poor implementation.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #5,848 of 9,829
I know many of you uses the IEMatch to eliminate hiss from noisy sources, and I want to share a very useful mod with everyone that improves the connectivity of IEMatch 2.5 that I own. After the 2.5mm connector went bad on my IEMatch, I went searching for a replacement for the connector on Aliexpress and found these (link) rhodium plated connectors that you can actually swap out on the fly without soldering iron.

After installation, I can use my IEMatch 2.5 to get balance sound via the swappable 2.5 or 4.4 connectors, or even use it as a 2.5mm Balanced to 3.5mm Single Ended converter with IEmatch built in. Now when I switch from Mojo (3.5) to my Fiio (2.5) I no longer have to use those annoying converters that will add more stress points in the connection.

IMG_7010.jpg
Iematch 2.5 modded with Awesome Plugs and OG (green) Andromeda with SXC8 IEM cable.

IMG_7009.JPG

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #5,849 of 9,829
But how is it different from building the Atlas or the Comet?

For some reason I was under the impression that all new CA IEMs will be made in this fashion. I guess what you're saying here is that I was wrong to think that.

And Ken, could you please confirm the steel recipe, is it 316L as suggested when you made the comparison to your watch case?

PS: thanks for sharing the pics of your own set. The flatheads don't look too bad to be honest. The shinny top matches the rest of the IEM very well.

Good question. So the Atlas and Comet have a lot more curved surfaces, the Andro S has a lot of flat surfaces and for some reason the flat surfaces are prone to micro scratches... but yeah the guys here also find the Comet and Atlas more difficult that any of the anodized IEMs.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Sep 26, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #5,850 of 9,829
Any more thoughts about the S guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back