Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 19, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #5,146 of 9,829
I just got my pair from @Audiophonicalistic and had the Andromeda and n5005 as my two finalists as well.

Definitely going to need a couple of days of brain burn in with these... The placement, separation and detail is quite unique versus everything I've tried up to this point. Honestly my closest pair was the brainwavz b400. Please let me know how that cable pairing works (silver-wise), right now I'm using a 30 dollar balanced fiio cable, but need to look at better pairings long term.

Will let you know :)

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #5,147 of 9,829
I just got my pair from @Audiophonicalistic and had the Andromeda and n5005 as my two finalists as well.

Definitely going to need a couple of days of brain burn in with these... The placement, separation and detail is quite unique versus everything I've tried up to this point. Honestly my closest pair was the brainwavz b400. Please let me know how that cable pairing works (silver-wise), right now I'm using a 30 dollar balanced fiio cable, but need to look at better pairings long term.

Have you tried the stock cable with it as well? How does the stock compare to the fiio balanced?

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #5,148 of 9,829
I don't feel like I'm at that point with these yet to compare cables and SE versus balanced (I'm mostly a cable agnostic anyway). Still just getting used to the headspace. I've had them all of 6 hours now! The stock cable and my fiio cable look very similar though in gauge and materials....

Tips sure have been hit and miss... I absolutely will not be using silicon tips with these (tried stock, kz starline, and spin fits). I'm not sure what the issue is, but I get an extreme vacuum tight seal with silicon tips on these and the sound varies so much with even slight movements of them in my ear canal.

My go to tips (new bee foams) seem to work great though.

I will have a lot of experimenting to do with these over the next weeks...

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #5,149 of 9,829
I don't feel like I'm at that point with these yet to compare cables and SE versus balanced (I'm mostly a cable agnostic anyway). Still just getting used to the headspace. I've had them all of 6 hours now! The stock cable and my fiio cable look very similar though in gauge and materials....

Tips sure have been hit and miss... I absolutely will not be using silicon tips with these (tried stock, kz starline, and spin fits). I'm not sure what the issue is, but I get an extreme vacuum tight seal with silicon tips on these and the sound varies so much with even slight movements of them in my ear canal.

My go to tips (new bee foams) seem to work great though.

I will have a lot of experimenting to do with these over the next weeks...
That Hiby may not be the best pairing with the Andromeda and stick with the included cable it is a nice cable and the campfire people know how to pair much better than we do. I'm all over the place with tips, I like spiral dots, RHA, Mandrins and Final audio with the Andromeda. Have fun!

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #5,150 of 9,829
That Hiby may not be the best pairing with the Andromeda and stick with the included cable it is a nice cable and the campfire people know how to pair much better than we do. I'm all over the place with tips, I like spiral dots, RHA, Mandrins and Final audio with the Andromeda. Have fun!
Yeah, I'm using ifi iematch for the r6 which takes care of the output impedance issue. I'm interested to test it with my other stuff to see if I just need to use a different amp though. The cayin n3 will be a good one to test SE on.

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #5,152 of 9,829
I did it guys.

Congrats! I don't think you'll regret getting the Andromeda. Try them with various DAPs just to find the best sound out of them. My unusual ears tell me that my iPod 6th gen with tweaked settings for best music playback performance makes the Andromeda sound godly
42341955232_2844c57e8c_b_d.jpg

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #5,153 of 9,829
The Campfire Novas are a weird IEM. I did not like it so much when I first got it but I’m enjoying it more and more. It’s quite unlike a lot of IEMs I’ve listened to before. It’s a very musical IEM. Almost entirely so.

I’ve gotten so used to IEMs that are analytical and detailed. Clear vocals, treble and tight bass. However, listening to these IEMs can put stress on your mind after prolonged listening (requires too much focus). Too energetic and lively. Great for the mornings. Not so great for a long day after work or before bed.

The Nova are the opposite of that. You don’t need to “think” while listening to it. Just “experience” the music and let your mind drift. In fact, the more you try to think and concentrate on the music, the worse these IEM will sound. These are great IEMs to listen to while doing something else. Its sound signature is velvet, liquid gold level-like smoothness. Just hit play and let your mind drift and get sucked into the music. Almost like a state of comatose.

Wonder if any other Nova owners can chime in.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #5,154 of 9,829
Listening to my new Andromeda and loving them so far :)

Can someone suggest a cable that retains the same sound as stock cable but without memory wire?

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #5,155 of 9,829

Can someone suggest a cable that retains the same sound as stock cable but without memory wire?
You can ask for any cable manufacture to customize for you.
I personally prefer OC studio's cable. They are relatively cheap but the sound quality is no compromised.
For Andro, I recommend gold plated silver cables, the 8 wires Aux or Grace cable from them.
Effect Audio is another ok choice, but Gold coated silver cable from them are too expensive

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #5,156 of 9,829

You can remove the shrink wrap and wire. All you need is a very sharp art knife, long nose pliers and a steady hand. @ExpatinJapan has had some experience with this kind of surgery :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Check it out, could save yourself some money

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #5,157 of 9,829

EA Lionheart and Andromeda are a match made in heaven to me

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #5,158 of 9,829
Jun 21, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #5,159 of 9,829
Ugh. The sound from my cayin n3 on the stock SE cable was far inferior to the hiby r6 with ifi iematch and a balanced fiio cable. Not even close.... With cables on the Andromeda, are most of the good matches silver plated?

I guess I'll try my fiio a5 and then the iPhone 6 I got to use for my isine20 and then my older fiio x1. So far the clarity of the hiby r6 plus balanced out more than make up for the downside of having to use ifi iematch and adding in some distortion....

My end goal might need to be using the r6 as a transport and using a desktop or portable amp. Any solid choices that aren't over $750 or so?

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #5,160 of 9,829
Ugh. The sound from my cayin n3 on the stock SE cable was far inferior to the hiby r6 with ifi iematch and a balanced fiio cable. Not even close.... With cables on the Andromeda, are most of the good matches silver plated?

I guess I'll try my fiio a5 and then the iPhone 6 I got to use for my isine20 and then my older fiio x1. So far the clarity of the hiby r6 plus balanced out more than make up for the downside of having to use ifi iematch and adding in some distortion....

My end goal might need to be using the r6 as a transport and using a desktop or portable amp. Any solid choices that aren't over $750 or so?

I've posted this before, but if you get a 20-ohm impedance adapter, you can raise the IEMatch's input impedance and get rid of that distortion. You might also want a short extension cable adapter to protect the adapter's tip from bending.

Afterwards, you can plug the setup into anything that can output around 200 mW into 32-ohm headphones without distorting and have it sound excellent. I use it with a FiiO Q1 that I got secondhand for $40 and prefer the combination by far to the iFi Micro iDSD BL by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back