Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 10, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #5,102 of 9,829
SXC 8 is even better as it improves the bass and details.

Jun 10, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #5,103 of 9,829
I bought the green Andros in-store a month ago and they came with the updated nozzles. I’ll edit this post with pics when I have time.

I talked to CA rep and here is their response

Actually, the length has not changed - there is now a step - which makes the nozzle appear longer.

The main difference is material. The nozzle is now stainless steel as opposed to aluminum.

The step is part of the process of machining the stainless steel.

The change was implemented on the Andromeda CK Pacific Blue Edition in Dec '17, followed by all production Andromeda.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Around what Serial did that start? Thanks.

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #5,104 of 9,829
I bought mine secondhand and can't say for sure when they were made, but I can at least confirm that Andromeda #17331 uses the new nozzle.

Attachments

• IMG_6619.JPG
    IMG_6619.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #5,105 of 9,829
Around what Serial did that start? Thanks.
I’m not sure. Maybe someone who bought their Andromedas in December can chime in.

I am actually looking to buy some andros or Westone W80 but they’re hard to find used for the right price for me.
W80’s whole package and comfort are much better but the same cheap plastic housing bothers me for a $1500 iem. Same plastic they use in their $199 W10 where as my CA L2 are made amazing and love the stock Litz cable because zero microphonics.

Just got an ifi xdsd anyone have any experience if that is a good pair for the sensitive Andromedas? Or do I just need to add an iematch

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #5,109 of 9,829
I gave the Andromedas a day's listen with the iEMatch from the Lightning-to-3.5mm dongle, which has a <1-ohm output impedance, both with and without a 20-ohm impedance adapter in between. My conclusion is that when using the 1-ohm Ultra setting, the Andromedas sound more natural, with the mids being fuller, with the impedance adapter than without. Vocals in particular are more pleasant to the ear. Cymbals do sound somewhat less crisp with the 20-ohm, but I think that's because the iEMatch by itself makes the Andromedas sound thinner in general, exposing more of the treble.

On the 2.5-ohm High setting, the difference is subtler due to the OI making the Andromedas sounding leaner anyway, but it is nevertheless there. The brighter sound from the iEMatch alone may still be preferred by some at 2.5 ohms as it generates the perception of slightly wider soundstage.

I've had similar results from other portable sources. Overall, I would say that the Andromedas remain more faithful to their original tuning when used with both the iEMatch and an impedance adapter. I've been told by someone who makes volume attenuators that they need to be used with high-OI amps for proper load impedance matching, and I believe that this holds true for the iEMatch as well.

Just as with the UE Buffer Jack, if you're dissatisfied with the way the iEMatch sounds on its own, I would suggest pairing it with the 20-ohm, even if it means having three dongles dangling from your phone. You may want to use an L-shaped 3.5mm extension adapter instead of plugging the 20-ohm directly into a device's headphone jack, as the solder inside can break off if the tip is bent.

Edit: So this is what the ideal "portable" setup for the Andromedas looks like:

IMG_6640.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #5,113 of 9,829
Random question, if I want to buy a new pair of the Andromeda, are there ever sales on them or just when ALO is selling b-stock? I want to know if there is any point in waiting for a lower price or sale or if I should just pull the trigger and enjoy them.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #5,115 of 9,829
Any reason why an inline passive volume control (ie. a potentiometer) wouldn't be able to do the same thing as the IEMatch, though infinitely variable?

I imagine the IEMatch just contains two selectable resistors.
You can DIY a voltage divider for the Andromedas with a potentiometer in place of a fixed-ohm resistor, and people have done so. As with most things, you're paying to have someone else make it for you.

A simple inline resistor wouldn't do enough to reduce signal noise, which is the greatest problem when matching sources to the Andromeda, unless you set the resistance high enough to mangle the frequency response.

Edit: If you aren't awful at soldering like I am, you can make an adapter for cheap with instructions found here: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/

I'm assuming IFI did not add resistors between the divider circuit and plug as they should have for an all-purpose adapter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back