Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 31, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #5,071 of 9,829
I owned the Lyra II (sold great sound but had to keep pressing them in to keep seal) and own the cascades and love that sound signature. However, I am looking for something to compliment them with different genres and am wondering if the fit is more forgiving on the andros than the small DD iems like the L2 and vegas. I also have the quad driver Ulimate Ears UE900S but I’m sure the andromedas blow them out of the water and mainly use them when I don’t want to put my more expensive iems/headphones certain places

Looking for used because 700$ is my max for my next iems and will be using them with my fiio Q5 attached to iPhone running tidal lossless.
Looking into getting a micro BL or xdsd for the iem match to hopefully get rid of an audible hiss when quieter music is playing!

Any advice?

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #5,073 of 9,829
It’s amazing how well the Andros respond to eq. The bass can get a really nice thump going that has me ignoring my Vegas.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #5,076 of 9,829
Anybody had a chance to compare the Andromedas with the Xelento?

They have a very different sound. For sure the Xelento has quite a lot more bass (both mid and sub), while the Andromeda does not move half as much air. The Xelento sounds "softer" in comparison, with longer decay in all areas, while the Andromeda sounds "edgier", cleaner and crispier. Both have exellent detail retreval and are very extended in the highs though.
I`d say all differences are typical for BA vs dynamic. On a very high level.

Jun 7, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #5,077 of 9,829
Re output impedance of a source for the Andromeda

Had a listen to the AK70ii today & the AK70, both on balanced.

The AK70ii has an output impedance of 3ohm compared the the AK70’s 1ohm. I really couldn’t detect much of change in the frequency response of the Androemda on the 3ohm connection, base response still seemed the same. There was slightly more hiss but nothing that bothered me.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #5,079 of 9,829
?? Where did you get this info? Any pictures to share?
I bought the green Andros in-store a month ago and they came with the updated nozzles. I’ll edit this post with pics when I have time.
20180607_165208.jpg20180607_165121.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #5,080 of 9,829
?? Where did you get this info? Any pictures to share?
I've been curious about whether or not the green ones have updated nozzles too, cocolinho. If you go on the main page on Campfire Audio's website: https://campfireaudio.com/ and scroll down to Andromeda, you should see the newer, polished nozzles in the picture. I just ordered a pair of Andromedas, should get them next week, and I'll report back if they have the new tips or not.

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #5,081 of 9,829
I talked to CA rep and here is their response

Actually, the length has not changed - there is now a step - which makes the nozzle appear longer.

The main difference is material. The nozzle is now stainless steel as opposed to aluminum.

The step is part of the process of machining the stainless steel.

The change was implemented on the Andromeda CK Pacific Blue Edition in Dec '17, followed by all production Andromeda.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #5,082 of 9,829
Just purchased a used Nova :) What should I expect? (I own the Comets if anyone has one).

I hear it's mega dark but I like listening to darker genres (ex: Radiohead, QotSA, AM). Ok, not that dark.

Jun 9, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #5,083 of 9,829

The new silver cable (Atlas) is also great.

Still testing against other ALO cables.
How does the new silver litz cable compare with the stock litz cable on Andro?

Jun 9, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #5,085 of 9,829
No offense, but given your headphone preference(lotta treble), and think Andro is dark tells me, you are treble insensitive or perhaps a lower treble rolled off hearing response.

Do you even own the Andromeda? I guess not because anyone who owns these would know that with 0 ohm sources (and with the stock cables) are quite dark.

Even my HD 650 sounds bright next to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back