Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Aug 13, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #467 of 645
Been thinking about this DAC the last few days. Currently using the rig in my sig with an iPod touch and my laptop. Also have a Cambridge 550A amp and a pair of Wharfedale 9.1 bookshelves.

How exactly am I supposd to connect the iPod Touch to the DAC so it does all the audio processing and leaves the ipod as just the transport? This is assuming I'm using the DV332/Cambridge 550a as the amp.

Also, I'm guessing this will be a significant upgrade from the iPod touche's built in DAC?

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #468 of 645

Quote:
Been thinking about this DAC the last few days. Currently using the rig in my sig with an iPod touch and my laptop. Also have a Cambridge 550A amp and a pair of Wharfedale 9.1 bookshelves.

How exactly am I supposd to connect the iPod Touch to the DAC so it does all the audio processing and leaves the ipod as just the transport? This is assuming I'm using the DV332/Cambridge 550a as the amp.

Also, I'm guessing this will be a significant upgrade from the iPod touche's built in DAC?

you cannot use external DAC with ipod unless you have iwadia or other similar products to bypass the internal DAC of the ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #470 of 645
Is anyone out there in DacMagic world using it with a Yahama DVD-S1800. I want to use the S-1800 as an SACD player only. I can't get it to work, The player recognizes the CD as an SACD and as soon as it loads, the "Incoming Sample Rate" light on the DAC goes out. The units are connected via an Optical Cable, the DAC outputs are XLR Balanced.
I know the DacMagic doesn't like a surround signal so I've been testing with a CD that doesn't have one, MFSL Ultradisc, Doobie Bros. Takin' it to the Streets. Anyone with Ideas please post here or send me a PM.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #471 of 645

Quote:
i hope i can get my replacement adapter in 3 weeks maximum
frown.gif

If you need a replacement PSU, try emailing the local distributor in your country instead of using the CA website: I'm in Australia and got a same-day response from the local Australian distributor who shipped the PSU out overnight. NICE!

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #472 of 645

Quote:
I have. It (hiFace to RCA SPDIF) easily betters DM's USB input.

Second this. Hiface RCA to Dacmagic has better clarity and transparency than the USB input. 

Then again, one wonders if the extra $125 for the Hiface is worth the cost...

Now, someone suggest a PSU upgrade for me please?

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #474 of 645

Quote:
If you need a replacement PSU, try emailing the local distributor in your country instead of using the CA website: I'm in Australia and got a same-day response from the local Australian distributor who shipped the PSU out overnight. NICE!

I bought my DACMagic 5 months ago. What is this PSU you guys are talking about? can you post a picture of it? I don't know if a I have the right power supply, although I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #475 of 645

Quote:
If it is not too expensive for you, Little Pinkie V3i did it nicely for my DM (and X-Can V2 too).

why bother buying expensive stuffs like that? we just have to make a stepdown transformer right? i think if we ask to a local transformer maker, they could make you a better DIY transformer with cheaper price..

*just my 2 cents

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #476 of 645

Quote:

Woaahhh, explain. Which distributor?

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #477 of 645

Quote:
Woaahhh, explain. Which distributor?

If you PSU is one from the defective batch as detailed here: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3057&keywords=12VAC+2A&form=KEYWORD

You can email the local distributor (click on link on CA webpage) to get a replacement.

Note, that the replacement PSU I got was smaller and wimpier than the original (12V AC 500mah versus 12 V AC 1.5A original). I can't seem to tell the difference though.

Jaycar sells as 12V AC 2A replacement PSU as well: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3057&keywords=12VAC+2A&form=KEYWORD

Not sure if it will make a difference though.

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #479 of 645
I actually got my PSU from a local surplus store, since I bought mine used from a seller in Hong Kong (different voltages, plugs). From what I can tell, performance is not diminished in any way.

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #480 of 645
Weird, my replacement PSU from Cambridge Audio's local distributor is 500mA versus 1500mA (original PSU). It worked for two days and yesterday, it strangely cut out. There was a burnt smell. I wonder if it's underpowered? I emailed the distributors and they said they tested one overnight and will send it to me. I'm back to the old 1500mA plug.

Also, has anyone compared the BALANCED XLR output to the RCA? I ask because my SPL Auditor amp has XLR inputs and I was wondering if there will be a difference in sound quality!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back