Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Aug 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #452 of 645
I am considering this DAC. I prefer neutral to bright sound and I have read that the DacMagic can sound 'dry'. If that means neutral to bright sound while the balance is still good over the entire frequency range I am satisfied. I am looking for more clarity so that the recordings/albums speak for themselves, that is all.

Am I expecting too much?

I want to be able to connect it to my CD-players via RCA and possible to other gear if possible. How do you solve that with headphones if you want to connect the headphone straight into the DAC or should I just hook up my amplifier?

In Amsterdam I can buy one in the store for about 400 euros, so if this is the DAC to go for I should save up a little bit. 

My regards,

Deep Funk

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #453 of 645
I can sell you mine for 420€ which has an upgraded PSU that cost me 150€ + 3 feet that set me back 30€. Its in silver. Mint.

You can't connect it with stereo RCA but with either coaxial or optical or straight to your pc via usb. for headphones you will need an amp, your receiver will do. I my opinion DM sounds "tubey" so warm, very pleasing. Not neutral imo but very enjoyable to listen to.

regards, Peter

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #456 of 645

Quote:
many people believe this dac sounds a little bright and pretty much neutral. correct me if i'm wrong

Slightly on the bright side of neutral when compared to my PS Audio DLIII which is slightly on the warm side of neutral. I did a direct A-B with them before selling off my DacMagic.

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #457 of 645

Quote:
Slightly on the bright side of neutral when compared to my PS Audio DLIII which is slightly on the warm side of neutral. I did a direct A-B with them before selling off my DacMagic.

x2, i was trying to say the same thing. but it's definitely not warm nor tubey..

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #460 of 645

Quote:
how long does the replacement adapter shipping take time usually? anybody knows?

I just received mine. It took three weeks to get mine.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #461 of 645

Quote:
I just received mine. It took three weeks to get mine.

i accidentally sent the adapter replacement form. i hope it's not gonna be a problem
biggrin.gif

so that's it? you didn't received any email notification that your adapter replacement application has been received or anything? it just popped out in front of your door, just like that?

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #462 of 645

Quote:

i accidentally sent the adapter replacement form. i hope it's not gonna be a problem
biggrin.gif

so that's it? you didn't received any email notification that your adapter replacement application has been received or anything? it just popped out in front of your door, just like that?

Yep, no notification what so ever. I received an apology for my trouble with the PSU from CA along with the PSU. I was just hoping I get the right one with the correct voltage and Schuko plug and I did got the correct one.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #463 of 645
Using the LCD2s and listening to the Dacmagic - in no uncertain terms it told me the stock PSU is bottlenecking the Dacmagic... using the XPSUV3, I am definitely getting more refinement - better resolution of complex passages particularly in the lower mids, lower distortion, better seperation and slight improvement in imaging and soundstage.

It seems like with cans like LCD2s its a case of source first.  Amp second.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #464 of 645

Quote:
Yep, no notification what so ever. I received an apology for my trouble with the PSU from CA along with the PSU. I was just hoping I get the right one with the correct voltage and Schuko plug and I did got the correct one.

so there is no telling whether we will get the 110V or the 220V version? i need the 220V though..

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #465 of 645

Quote:
so there is no telling whether we will get the 110V or the 220V version? i need the 220V though..

You have to input a serial that is in the back of the DM and if your DM was originally sold in US then you will probably get the 110V PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back