Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Jul 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #437 of 645
So, before I take the plunge, if I were to upgrade from the uDAC to the DACMagic, what's the biggest in SQ that I'll notice? (Assume that either DAC will be connected to the same tube amp and the HD650s). And any other subtler differences?

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #438 of 645
I just got my DacMagic a year and a half ago am wondering about the ideal computer settings for the device. I assume that I want any upsampling to be done by the DacMagic, but I don't precisely know the best way to deal with this. Below are screen captures of the interface for the device on my Mac for both optical and USB in default configurations.

Optical:
DMOptical.png

The Optical output has 44.1, 48, 96 sample rates and the following choices for the bit depth:
DMOpticalRate.png

USB:
DMUSB.png

The USB output has 44.1 & 48KHz sample rates and is locked at 2ch-16bit.

Most audio files I have are 16-bit 44.1KHz, but I might have some 16-bit 48KHz audio files and potentially some 24-bit 96KHz audio files as well. I certainly don't want to downsample higher resolution audio, but I don't want to have the computer do any upsampling either. Does anyone know the best way to handle these settings? Thanks!

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #439 of 645

Quote:
Gaah, I'm so torn between this and the V-DAC. Why can there ever be a consensus on the items I want?

Are there ever any sales on the Dacmagic? Everywhere I look, it is being sold at MSRP. Or maybe even a coupon code or discount from popular retailers such as JR and 5th Ave?

If you very carefully watch the FS forums (if you don't object to buying used), you can score a deal. You have to be very fast, though.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #440 of 645

Quote:
I just got my DacMagic a year and a half ago am wondering about the ideal computer settings for the device. I assume that I want any upsampling to be done by the DacMagic, but I don't precisely know the best way to deal with this. Below are screen captures of the interface for the device on my Mac for both optical and USB in default configurations.

Optical:
DMOptical.png

The Optical output has 44.1, 48, 96 sample rates and the following choices for the bit depth:
DMOpticalRate.png

USB:
DMUSB.png

The USB output has 44.1 & 48KHz sample rates and is locked at 2ch-16bit.

Most audio files I have are 16-bit 44.1KHz, but I might have some 16-bit 48KHz audio files and potentially some 24-bit 96KHz audio files as well. I certainly don't want to downsample higher resolution audio, but I don't want to have the computer do any upsampling either. Does anyone know the best way to handle these settings? Thanks!

My DacMagic is currently connected by optical input, I personally find it much better than the USB one. The way I deal with the sampling issue is that I adjust the settings to the file I am listening to, so that the input sampling signal match the actual file sampling signal, eg: if listening to a 24bit/96KHz file I adjust the input signal to exactly that and if then I listen to a 16bit/44.1KHz file I do the same thing. This way I think that there is no sampling made by the software but by the hardware (DacMagic).

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #441 of 645
I thought I'd post based on my recent experiences (and purchase of a new VDac) because I see often in this and other threads that so many consider purchasing either the DacMagic or the MF VDac. Now that I own (and enjoy) both - maybe someone who's considering either will find this helpful. There are tons of opinions about which is better - in VDac threads it trounces the DacMagic - vice versa in this and other threads. Magazine articles compare 1 against the other - and in the end, none of this was helpful to me when I made both of my purchase decisions.

You can see my gear below. I'm in the mid level range of equipment and have never heard high end stuff like $1000+ Dacs etc. so I can't compare or comment on those - I am sure they are fantastic. I suspect most head fi-ers are like me and can't really justify or afford that type of gear - although I would love to someday.

I simply bought the VDac to use in my bedroom setup with an Airport Express, LDI+ and a pair of K271s. It's a terrific piece of equipment - smooth and very transparent IMO. It "may" be a little warmer than my DacMagic but I'd not want to stake that claim as an absolute since I mostly use it with a tube hybrid amp. It's an outstanding Dac - period, and was a really nice upgrade to that setup (I used to use a D10 as a Dac with the LDI+). In addition - I still am a very happy DacMagic owner. It resides in my main setup and I have always maintained it was one of the most positive upgrades I had made at the time of purchase to my setup. This past week I went on vacation - and for bulk reasons only took my M-Stage amp with my VDac and really enjoyed that setup all week with both my K271s and Beyers. 

I guess this leads me to my point. I may not have the golden ears to be able to distinguish every little nuance each Dac provides - but I think I do know when something sounds "good to me" and both Dacs will most likely live under my roof for many years. I'm really speaking to the many who agonize over one or the other - about whether the VDac might be too 'warm' for them or the DacMagic possibly too 'sterile' for someone else. Both units I think are outstanding and will work well for most. I'm thinking you look at your needs, whether the extra functionality (i.e. - more connectivity, balanced option) of the DacMagic fits your situation better (so may be worth the extra $s), or if those benefits are not necessary - then you may enjoy saving a few bucks and will really love the VDac. In summary - I'm really happy with both!

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #442 of 645
DAMN.

So today I finally received my DACMagic and I'm already having issues.  Paired with the BJC toslink cable, it gives a crappy connection that is so loose that unless I hold the connector in, it gives a skipping signal that goes from sending music to not, about 10 times a second.  Anybody else have issues? 

Both the cable and DACMagic should be decent enough quality.  I'm surprised that either BJC is using connectors too small, or CA built the DACMagic with inputs too large.

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #443 of 645
anybody has tried to bypass the output caps with silver wire and swap the stock opamp with LM4562?

my friend said he has done a/b comparison between this modded DM and benchmark DAC19(non-usb) and he said the sound quality were very close..DM lost a lil' bit in bass extension though

anybody has ever done the same mod?

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #444 of 645

Quote:
DAMN.

So today I finally received my DACMagic and I'm already having issues.  Paired with the BJC toslink cable, it gives a crappy connection that is so loose that unless I hold the connector in, it gives a skipping signal that goes from sending music to not, about 10 times a second.  Anybody else have issues? 

Both the cable and DACMagic should be decent enough quality.  I'm surprised that either BJC is using connectors too small, or CA built the DACMagic with inputs too large.

I had this problem once - can't remember on which component.  It turned out I wasn't pushing hard enough on the connector to lock it into place...sounds stupid, I know, but these things do happen.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #445 of 645

Quote:

I had this problem once - can't remember on which component.  It turned out I wasn't pushing hard enough on the connector to lock it into place...sounds stupid, I know, but these things do happen.

An update to the issue.  I have discovered that depending on the output sample rate on my Macbook Pro, it has an effect.

If the sample rate that is being outputted is 32/44.1/48 there is no issue, however, if using a higher rate, such as 88.2/96, then the cable must be pressed in fully. 

This is an issue as I have varying sample rates throughout my collection.  As of now, the majority of my music is 16/44.1 CD lossless.  However, I have a few higher quality 24/88.2 and 24/96 songs.

Strange.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #446 of 645

Quote:

An update to the issue.  I have discovered that depending on the output sample rate on my Macbook Pro, it has an effect.

If the sample rate that is being outputted is 32/44.1/48 there is no issue, however, if using a higher rate, such as 88.2/96, then the cable must be pressed in fully. 

This is an issue as I have varying sample rates throughout my collection.  As of now, the majority of my music is 16/44.1 CD lossless.  However, I have a few higher quality 24/88.2 and 24/96 songs.

Strange.

What will you do?  Exchange the Dacmagic, try another cable - the choice is yours.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #450 of 645

Quote:
i noticed in dacmagic website they're offering to replace the old adaptor model with the new one. i was wondering, is there any sound quality improvement after you use the new adaptor?

i hope you guys who have been using the new adaptor may answer this
smile_phones.gif

Hey, thanks for the heads up.
beerchug.gif
   I just ordered one (my old psu has a cracked case) and can tell you when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back