Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Jun 11, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #406 of 645

Quote:
I wanted to buy that dac at first but I'm hesitating because of the lack of distributors in europe. If something is wrong with the unit I would have send it back to asia.
Here I can get the dacmagic without problems and might even get a good price.

I'm sure there are a dozen stores in UK that sell it, heck there's even a distributor in a tiny country like mine.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #408 of 645
Jun 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #411 of 645
ehh... I'm kinda afraid to ask this question, since it's obviously going to make me look like an idiot, but I want to be clear on this before I buy the DACMagic and Little Dot amp... I'm not 100% confident I understand how to hook everything up.

So from what I've read and understand, the order of my setup is going to be my MacBook Pro -> DACMagic -> Little Dot Amp -> headphones.

1.) So, from my MacBook Pro, I connect to the DACMagic's a.) input via USB or b.) Toslink Optical (via the DACMagic's Digital input 1 or 2 depending on whether I have a male or female end coming out of my MacBook Pro... depending on what Toslink cable I buy...?)

2.) From the DACMagic, I run an RCA cable from the DACMagic's Unbalanced Output to the Little Dot's RCA L and R input.

3.) From the Little Dot amp, I simply plug my headphones into the headphone out on the Little Dot and enjoy my music.

Am I correct in the way things are hooked up? If not, please correct me. It's better that I just ask now, look like an idiot in public, and get to enjoy some great music... as opposed to not ask, screw up later, and be sad in private with nothing good to listen to. LOL.

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #412 of 645
Yes, and your next step is to get a copy of Amarra mini software for your Macbook pro.
regular_smile .gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #413 of 645

Quote:
Yes, and your next step is to get a copy of Amarra mini software for your Macbook pro.
regular_smile .gif

Try Songbird instead, it's free, a bit buggy but it can handle FLAC natively and the sound is better than iTunes (Seems to be "Bit-Perfect").

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #414 of 645
Ah let the man breathe! I am planning on getting a new tube rig setup as well and its taking a bit more patience and planning than my plug and play, instant relief HeadRoom setup. I was quite literally shocked to see how much RCA interconnects are going for, and I have to get a new USB cable since the one that hooks into my amp is a mini and not a regular sized one! Does anyone have any helpful advice, and possibly nudge me in the right direction where I can get some reasonably priced interconnects?

I guess the reason why I even came in here is cause I'm looking at the DAC Magic as a source, but really haven't decided yet. Where are you getting yours Panges?

Edit: I'm confused about which type of USB cable it (the DAC) takes. USB 2.0 or 3.0? Does it matter?

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #415 of 645

Quote:
regular_smile .gif

lol. I've been looking into that actually. 

Quote:
Try Songbird instead, it's free, a bit buggy but it can handle FLAC natively and the sound is better than iTunes (Seems to be "Bit-Perfect").

I've never actually looked into songbird too in depth. Does it support apple lossless? About 80-90% of my music is in apple lossless. =/

Quote:
Ah let the man breathe! I am planning on getting a new tube rig setup as well and its taking a bit more patience and planning than my plug and play, instant relief HeadRoom setup. I was quite literally shocked to see how much RCA interconnects are going for, and I have to get a new USB cable since the one that hooks into my amp is a mini and not a regular sized one! Does anyone have any helpful advice, and possibly nudge me in the right direction where I can get some reasonably priced interconnects?

I guess the reason why I even came in here is cause I'm looking at the DAC Magic as a source, but really haven't decided yet. Where are you getting yours Panges?

Edit: I'm confused about which type of USB cable it (the DAC) takes. USB 2.0 or 3.0? Does it matter?

It seems like it accepts the usual 2.0 USB. Not sure if it supports 3.0. Someone who owns it will probably know better. I personally plan to connect it via optical, since the Macbook Pro has that option.

I'm still looking around for places that sell the DACMagic in the US. The only place I've found so far is Amazon.com at $429 shipped. I'm wondering if there's any other US vendors I can buy from online. 

While I was looking around the Cambridge Audio site, there were a bunch of links to the vendors, but when I try to find some sort of cart to order them from, it just directs me back to the original CA site. 

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #416 of 645
Panges,

I got mine at music direct i think and it was cheaper than that as i remember, also Audio Authority also carries them from what i remember.

As far as Amarra, it works with itunes as a platform so good for your applelossless.  Also the just released version handles flac files but i haven't quite gotten used to the way it works yet, i just did the software upgrade yesterday.  You can make play lists or pull from files it seems with flac files.  Easier to use with itunes if your stuff is mainly that.  

As I upgraded the Amarra got better and better.  You can really tell the difference as you get more detailed equipment.  My upgraded dac after the dacmagic(which services my speakers and HD television) is a PSaudio digital link with an additional $1500. in modifications done to it, actually more than that but i bypass some USB clocking i upgraded with something called The Diverter version 2.  The Diverter is a very high end USB->S/PDIF converter.  So when ready you can ploop down alittle over 3K
blink.gif
 and you will hear a difference over the dacmagic that is very noticeable, until then be smiling with your wallet full and your $400. dacmagic playing lovely music too.
smile.gif

Oh back to the Amarra, you can download a demo that has drop outs on line to compare it with your normal system and see if it makes enough of a difference, or you can do a 30 day trial, which is what i did.  You have to deposit fifty bucks you get back later if you don't want it.  It really helped me with my ear fatigue so well worth it to me.  My system is pretty crisp and it takes out the digital edge.

Good luck,
dallan

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #417 of 645
Does anybody Know if the output of the balanced outputs can be adjusted? When i tried the dacmagic with some Adam A5s and a Sub7 i got some serious clipping. Could balanced cables that are wired incorrectly be causing it?

Also, can the Dacmagic's upsampling be turned off?  I'm on a 10.5 Mac. 

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #418 of 645
Wow. Thanks for all the advice. Once I get the DAC and amp, I'll definately try out the 30 day trial, and buy it if I like it. 

I checked the sites you listed for the DACMagic, but i couldn't find it on Audio Authority, and Music Direct doesn't seem to carry any Cambridge Audio products. 

Quote:
Panges,

I got mine at music direct i think and it was cheaper than that as i remember, also Audio Authority also carries them from what i remember.

As far as Amarra, it works with itunes as a platform so good for your applelossless.  Also the just released version handles flac files but i haven't quite gotten used to the way it works yet, i just did the software upgrade yesterday.  You can make play lists or pull from files it seems with flac files.  Easier to use with itunes if your stuff is mainly that.  

As I upgraded the Amarra got better and better.  You can really tell the difference as you get more detailed equipment.  My upgraded dac after the dacmagic(which services my speakers and HD television) is a PSaudio digital link with an additional $1500. in modifications done to it, actually more than that but i bypass some USB clocking i upgraded with something called The Diverter version 2.  The Diverter is a very high end USB->S/PDIF converter.  So when ready you can ploop down alittle over 3K
blink.gif
 and you will hear a difference over the dacmagic that is very noticeable, until then be smiling with your wallet full and your $400. dacmagic playing lovely music too.
smile.gif

Oh back to the Amarra, you can download a demo that has drop outs on line to compare it with your normal system and see if it makes enough of a difference, or you can do a 30 day trial, which is what i did.  You have to deposit fifty bucks you get back later if you don't want it.  It really helped me with my ear fatigue so well worth it to me.  My system is pretty crisp and it takes out the digital edge.

Good luck,
dallan

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #420 of 645

Quote:

DACMagic needs a A-to-B USB cable.  I have a WireWorld Starlight USB cable in my desktop system, and I'm not sure you can do much better for less than $200.  I suppose I should try the cable that came in the box with my QB-9, but I'm too lazy.

i use Audioquest analog interconnects, not because I've done extensive comparison testing, but because they are readily available for prices that don't make me throw up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back