Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #6,841 of 19,136
Quote:
Any of you guys ever seen one of these? 
I didn't even know they existed. Very nice.

Just saw a 5580 (black SX-1050) at my local used record store. It is even nicer looking in person. They wanted $500.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #6,842 of 19,136
The Onkyo has been having some weird issues as of late. I sprayed DeOxit in all the pots and switches, but for some reason, the bass randomly cuts in and out in one channel (does it sporadically in both, not just left/right exclusive). Happens with speakers, but is much more noticeable with headphones. Any idea what might cause this?

I checked for DC offset, but my meter read zero even on the lowest setting.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #6,843 of 19,136

Hey all,

I came across a Marantz PM-700 DC in my local shop today. Was wondering if this amp is any good?

(I believe it's from 1979-1982? Here's a page w/ specs I found, although most of it is over my head: http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/336/1613.html?begin=21)

I'd use it connected to:

(1) MacbookPro>FiiO E10>FiiO E9 pre-out

(2) Dual CS-630 Q turntable

....using both speakers and several headphones (Senn HD-600, Grado SR 225i, Denon D7000, & Beyer DT 770 Pro-80).

Price is $250, but is somewhat negotiable (looks real clean inside, but has 2 deep smallish scratches on the front). Good deal?

Thanks.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #6,844 of 19,136
There is a full set of Onkyo Model U-30, P-303 and what ever the matching tuner is called in terrific shape at an antique/auction house in a town near me that I really wanted to get but they want WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for it (almost $200 each. can you believe that?) and to add insult to injury (I am on the Oregon coast) they have it in their rear area in a moist warehouse type room and it pisses me off for something that is in such good of shape to be sitting in that. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #6,845 of 19,136
Hey all,

I came across a Marantz PM-700 DC in my local shop today. Was wondering if this amp is any good?

(I believe it's from 1979-1982? Here's a page w/ specs I found, although most of it is over my head: http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/336/1613.html?begin=21)

That series of marantz isn't well regarded. That line started the departure from the typical vintage marantz sound. No way would I spend anywhere near 250.00 or even half of that on that integrated. The internals of the piece is a dead give away as well, as it's not nearly as overly built as the preceding integrateds. In fact, it actually looks cheap on the inside. But I'm only speaking for me.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #6,846 of 19,136
Quote:

Just saw a 5580 (black SX-1050) at my local used record store. It is even nicer looking in person. They wanted $500.

Thats a very nice piece. Those were issued in military PX in the late 70's and not seenv ery often. If it is good shape its worth the money. Is is equivalent to to the silver series 1050. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #6,847 of 19,136
Quote:
The Onkyo has been having some weird issues as of late. I sprayed DeOxit in all the pots and switches, but for some reason, the bass randomly cuts in and out in one channel (does it sporadically in both, not just left/right exclusive). Happens with speakers, but is much more noticeable with headphones. Any idea what might cause this?

If I were looking at this, I might start with the tone control circuitry (tone board).  Could be a failing CAP or cold solder joint - but just a guess on my part.  Please let us know if you resolve the issue.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #6,848 of 19,136
Quote:

Does the meter read exactly zero? In that case the Onkyo is probably capacitor coupled on the output and you can't really measure DC offset this way.

I think Speakerbox is right - you may be having a problem with the tone control board. Is there a tone defeat switch? What effect does it have relative to this issue?

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #6,849 of 19,136
Quote:
Hey all,

I'd use it connected to:

(1) MacbookPro>FiiO E10>FiiO E9 pre-out

(2) Dual CS-630 Q turntable

....using both speakers and several headphones (Senn HD-600, Grado SR 225i, Denon D7000, & Beyer DT 770 Pro-80).

Price is $250, but is somewhat negotiable (looks real clean inside, but has 2 deep smallish scratches on the front). Good deal?

Thanks.

I'd be leery of it just because of the graphic equalizer alone. That's a whole lot of filters inline.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #6,850 of 19,136
Quote:
That series of marantz isn't well regarded. That line started the departure from the typical vintage marantz sound. No way would I spend anywhere near 250.00 or even half of that on that integrated. The internals of the piece is a dead give away as well, as it's not nearly as overly built as the preceding integrateds. In fact, it actually looks cheap on the inside. But I'm only speaking for me.

I read that Marantz line from the end of the 70's early 80's weren't well regarded, so thanks for conforming that. The internals looked clean, but since I don't have much experience with amps/circuitry, I have no idea what to look for. What do you think about using the Marantz receiver's (like the 2226b, and all of the similar models). They are priced around $200 from what I remember, and prices seem similar on ebay.

Quote:

I'd be leery of it just because of the graphic equalizer alone. That's a whole lot of filters inline.

the EQ was was something I liked about this amp. never thought about your perspective, so thanks.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #6,851 of 19,136
You'd be happy with anything from the classic line, and that's both receivers and integrated. Sonically many prefer the integrated equivalents more with regards to sound quality because you are removing a lot of components from the chain and with the power supply being more dedicated to the amping side of things. For example, 1060 integrated vs 2230 receiver.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #6,852 of 19,136
Does the meter read exactly zero? In that case the Onkyo is probably capacitor coupled on the output and you can't really measure DC offset this way.

I think Speakerbox is right - you may be having a problem with the tone control board. Is there a tone defeat switch? What effect does it have relative to this issue?

The meter reads zero, even on its highest sensitivity. There is unfortunately no tone defeat switch. I'll crack open the service manual and see if I can bypass the board completely.

If it requires service above my (limited) capabilities, would this model even be worth professionally servicing? It's the TX-2500 MKII

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #6,853 of 19,136
You'd be happy with anything from the classic line, and that's both receivers and integrated. Sonically many prefer the integrated equivalents more with regards to sound quality because you are removing a lot of components from the chain and with the power supply being more dedicated to the amping side of things. For example, 1060 integrated vs 2230 receiver.

That same line of reasoning takes you to separates and then mono amps. Not saying I disagree though. :wink:

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #6,854 of 19,136
Not necessarily. For me it depends on price, and more importantly condition when it comes to vintage gear. Would I take a separate power amp, preamp, and tuner combo over a the equivalent monster receiver if all things were equal? Heck yes, in a heart beat. But for some, space may be a concern, and others may prefer the simplicity of receivers. But you can't be that picky when it comes to vintage gear. Receivers are much more easier to find, and you don't have to worry about potentially repairing/recapping three different components as well. But I wouldn't pass on neither if found in very good condition for a fair price.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #6,855 of 19,136
Quote:
Not necessarily. For me it depends on price, and more importantly condition when it comes to vintage gear. Would I take a separate power amp, preamp, and tuner combo over a the equivalent monster receiver if all things were equal? Heck yes, in a heart beat. But for some, space may be a concern, and others may prefer the simplicity of receivers. But you can't be that picky when it comes to vintage gear. Receivers are much more easier to find, and you don't have to worry about potentially repairing/recapping three different components as well. But I wouldn't pass on neither if found in very good condition for a fair price.

what would you consider a fair price for a very good condition Marantz 2230 (or 2226b, or any of those receivers in that 2xxx range)?
I'd like to buy one locally, and negotiate on price, but have little idea what they're worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back