Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #6,826 of 19,143
What a great find!

Quote:
Found this guy in a thrift store yesterday. The lights and everything is working GREAT and is in perfect shape not even a scratch. I also have an HK 430 and I am blown away by this Kenwood KR-7400. this thing powers my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm unlike anything I have ever experienced. It's hooked up to my Nuforce UDH-100 and it's just amazing just amazing. listening to Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb from PULSE vinyl 24-Bit 192Khz 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #6,827 of 19,143
thank you. i have two choise :
1)  pioneer ct-f500 or similar one:
pioneer_ct-f500_cassette_deck.jpg

2) Denon lecteur cassette  DRR-F100
(its size is half of pioneer)
eldjHHDUlUeqcwPXR4CxnQ_2.jpg

which of them are best for my receiver(sansui 331) to be dac?

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #6,828 of 19,143
I don't follow you very well.  A DAC is a digital to audio converter.  Only the CD player you listed has one.  The tape player is full analog.  Can you rephrase your question? 

Quote:
thank you. i have two choise :
1)  pioneer ct-f500
pioneer_ct-f500_cassette_deck.jpg

2) Denon lecteur cassette  DRR-F100
(its size is half of pioneer)
eldjHHDUlUeqcwPXR4CxnQ_2.jpg

which of them are best for my receiver(sansui 331) to be dac?

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #6,829 of 19,143
Found this guy in a thrift store yesterday. The lights and everything is working GREAT and is in perfect shape not even a scratch. I also have an HK 430 and I am blown away by this Kenwood KR-7400. this thing powers my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm unlike anything I have ever experienced. It's hooked up to my Nuforce UDH-100 and it's just amazing just amazing. listening to Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb from PULSE vinyl 24-Bit 192Khz 
smily_headphones1.gif

Now that is a great find. The few things I've seen in thrift stores were also very beat up. To find something in that kind of condition in a thrift store is very, very rare. Congrats.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #6,830 of 19,143
i have heard that for high quality, the input should be connect to the "dac" and then from the dac to the amp
ardgedee told that is possible to use the deck cassette(input-output) as a dac
question is which of the following cassette deck is better?

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #6,831 of 19,143
Quote:
i have heard that for high quality, the input should be connect to the "dac" and then from the dac to the amp

Sorry, you aren't being very clear.

Tapes are analog - there is no DAC in the chain.

I have a TOTL Denon cassette deck I bought new in 1985 and a large collection of recordings that I made in the 80's and early 90's. By todays standards, they sound horrible - I almost never listen to them.
biggrin.gif

Unless you have a large collection of cassette recordings that you prize, don't buy a cassette deck...

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #6,832 of 19,143
Quote:

Sorry, no, I thought you were asking whether you could connect a DAC's output to your receiver's tape input.

Your cassette deck does not have a DAC in it.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #6,833 of 19,143
Quote:

Sorry, you aren't being very clear.

Tapes are analog - there is no DAC in the chain.

I have a TOTL Denon cassette deck I bought new in 1985 and a large collection of recordings that I made in the 80's and early 90's. By todays standards, they sound horrible - I almost never listen to them.
biggrin.gif

Unless you have a large collection of cassette recordings that you prize, don't buy a cassette deck...

sorry my English is not so good
i dont want to record any cassette , just want to use deck as dac

the schematic:  

900x900px-LL-05d9508c_Untitled.jpeg

back of the deck:

200x200px-ZC-68187440_P-back.jpeg

Quote:

Sorry, no, I thought you were asking whether you could connect a DAC's output to your receiver's tape input.

Your cassette deck does not have a DAC in it.

thank you my Friend so the project is cancel

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #6,835 of 19,143
Right - cassette decks do not have digital inputs.  Nor do vintage receivers. You can connect an iPad via the headphone out directly to an AUX or TAPE input of a vintage receiver, or you can use something like the Pure i20 to connect an iPad to a DAC and then to the receiver.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #6,836 of 19,143
We hashed it out over PM a little; I prescribed getting an LOD -> RCA adaptor cable, which allows him to use the iPad's line out. This provides a low-threshold way of getting decent sound out of the device. If he has a new iPad with Lightning connector, it'll still work -- he'll just need a Lightning -> 30 pin adaptor. Systems that rely on digital out from the Lightning port are still thin on the ground.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #6,837 of 19,143
Does anyone know if Pure will be releasing a new or updated dock that can extract digital from Lightning without the use of an adapter?

Quote:
We hashed it out over PM a little; I prescribed getting an LOD -> RCA adaptor cable, which allows him to use the iPad's line out. This provides a low-threshold way of getting decent sound out of the device. If he has a new iPad with Lightning connector, it'll still work -- he'll just need a Lightning -> 30 pin adaptor. Systems that rely on digital out from the Lightning port are still thin on the ground.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #6,838 of 19,143
Quote:
Now that is a great find. The few things I've seen in thrift stores were also very beat up. To find something in that kind of condition in a thrift store is very, very rare. Congrats.

IKR!? thanks :) I really like it. my Harman Kardon 430 has a bad hiss on the phono stage and a somewhat less hiss on the rest (it needs to be fixed), but this Kenwood is completely normal and sounds just as good! I really only needed to clean the knobs and spray some stuff with deoxit and that was it. I am looking for an HK 730 and a Quad receiver. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #6,840 of 19,143
Quote:

I have had only one experience with Kenwood gear, and it has been glorious.  A few years back I bought a Kenwood KT-7550 (euro version of 7500) off of EBAY and proceeded to do all the modifications (and then some) recommended at the fmtunerinfo site for this unit.  It sounds so good, that it is pretty much all I listen to.  IMHO it easily beats my NAD M55 CD for detail, clarity, transparency and depth/width of sound stage.  Don't get me wrong, the M55 is no slouch - it sounds pretty darn good - but I doubt many components would hold up to this comparison.  I would encourage any of you who enjoy FM like I do to consider a project like this - you won't regret it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back