Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #6,661 of 19,142
wow
and flower mound is only about 2.5 hours from me.
=(

i bet it was gone within an hour with all the vultures in the DFW area

oh
And on the HPM 200s
he sold them to a guy for 800$
and they are now forsale in Dallas CL for 1600$
go figure

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #6,662 of 19,142
Had no idea 
blink.gif
 Flower Mound was a destination and not a reference. That thing Flew off the boards!

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #6,663 of 19,142
Speaking of the DFW area, this here vulture did in fact nab that Sansui AU-717 on Craigslist for $250 today, from a very pleasant elder gentleman in Garland.  

It's old, and is definitely a little worn around the edges, but it's heavy as hell, and works great, and best of all is now mine!  
biggrin.gif

So now to speakers.  I'm considering lugging this beast to Austin next weekend to hear how Morbid's Harbeths sound on it, but I'm still leaning toward KEF personally.  Really struggling to decide if I want to stay vintage with this turntable rig or go for newer speakers.  Advice?  The turntable (for the moment) is a belt-driven Philips AF-887 + Ortofon 2M Blue, but based on how it sounds when the rig's all finished, I may or may not stick with it.  I'm really liking the idea of a Linn as well.   

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #6,664 of 19,142
Hey guys,

I started a new thread with my question but maybe I should have just posted here.

I have a chance to buy either a Marantz 2235B or a 1070 and I was wondering if the 2235B is basically the 1070 amp with an added tuner or are the completely different amps? I know there were made around the same time so that has me wondering.

Thanks for all your help

Edit: Is there an advantage of having the tuner removed sound quality wise on these old Marantz?

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #6,665 of 19,142
Guys, don't forget to check out the turntable (+cartridge), speaker and vintage audio forums over at AudioKarma. Skylab's there-- you should be too. Sure, we have our share of crazies, but you're already used to that. Come take a look. The two search engines [mostly] work, and you'll probably find someone has already dealt with your question, including the great new-v.-vintage debate.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #6,666 of 19,142
Quote:
Hey guys,

I started a new thread with my question but maybe I should have just posted here.

I have a chance to buy either a Marantz 2235B or a 1070 and I was wondering if the 2235B is basically the 1070 amp with an added tuner or are the completely different amps? I know there were made around the same time so that has me wondering.

Thanks for all your help

Edit: Is there an advantage of having the tuner removed sound quality wise on these old Marantz?

I can't speak to the relationship between the 2235B and 1070 - but in a very general sense separates are many times considered to be superior.  Of course this only applies when we have similar baselines with which to make the comparison.  In other words the integrated amplifier would need to have a similar power supply and amplification stages to that of the receiver in question to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

The main reason for the superiority of the separates is that now the power supply in the integrated amplifier only needs to feed the preamp/amplifier (more power reserve available) and there is better isolation between amplification and tuner (possibly less noise).  This generality does not apply universally though as I would not want to bet that a Marantz 1060/1070 would sound better than a Marantz 2330.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #6,667 of 19,142

That Ortofon 2M Blue would sound great on a Rega P3... :veryevil:

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #6,669 of 19,142
anyone recommend an integrated amp (vintage, used or new) in the 150-250 range?  I would like to drive my bookshelf speakers Polk RTi A3 (+ sub) and my HD650.  I was considering the Marantz 1060 but would like more opinions.  I do not have any plans to go to floorstanding any time soon (no space) or changing headphones.  

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #6,670 of 19,142
Well, since I like the vintage Pioneer sound, I'd say something like the SA-7500 or 7800, or if you are lucky you might score a SA-9100, 9500, or 9800 for the upper end of your price range, but our have to be very lucky.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #6,671 of 19,142
Quote:
Well, since I like the vintage Pioneer sound, I'd say something like the SA-7500 or 7800, or if you are lucky you might score a SA-9100, 9500, or 9800 for the upper end of your price range, but our have to be very lucky.

I'll look into it. I like Pioneers too... would match my TT as well.  As always, your input and time is very much appreciated. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #6,672 of 19,142
Guys, don't forget to check out the turntable (+cartridge), speaker and vintage audio forums over at AudioKarma. Skylab's there-- you should be too. Sure, we have our share of crazies, but you're already used to that. Come take a look. The two search engines [mostly] work, and you'll probably find someone has already dealt with your question, including the great new-v.-vintage debate.

Yup, I've been lurking there quite a bit lately and made my first post last night on this very topic. Actually it was audiokarma that made me think it an OK idea to buy the turntable and amp that I did. And I debated whether it was even appropriate to ask about speakers with my vintage amp /tt right versus an HE-6 or something. Anyhow I certainly appreciate the advice.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #6,673 of 19,142
Quote:

I can't speak to the relationship between the 2235B and 1070 - but in a very general sense separates are many times considered to be superior.  Of course this only applies when we have similar baselines with which to make the comparison.  In other words the integrated amplifier would need to have a similar power supply and amplification stages to that of the receiver in question to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

The main reason for the superiority of the separates is that now the power supply in the integrated amplifier only needs to feed the preamp/amplifier (more power reserve available) and there is better isolation between amplification and tuner (possibly less noise).  This generality does not apply universally though as I would not want to bet that a Marantz 1060/1070 would sound better than a Marantz 2330.

Thank you very much for the reply. I think both the 2235B and the 1070 are rated exactly the same in terms of power output so I would guess they are very similar or exactly the same.

Has anyone here used a Marantz 1070/2235B or even a 1060 to power some planers? How does these stack up against an Asgard. Im debating selling my Asgard and going completely vintage either by use of the headphone jack or speaker taps. I have have some orthos HE400 but eventually will get HE6s or LCDs. I assume the power will be there but I'm a little skeptic of the clarity to newer headphones amps. I have never heard the Marantz warm sound either so that scares me a little in terms of audiophile quality.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #6,674 of 19,142
I've had a 2235b and a 1060 but never a 1070.
The 2235B was pretty good with headphones and speakers.
The 1060 was great as well, but the two sounded a little different. The 1060 sounded like a 2270 or 2245. It's a slightly thicker warmer sound, while the 2235b was a wee bit leaner sounding, perhaps reigned in a bit in the mid bass area with a little bit more top end crispness.
I never used either with orthos but both had way more than enough power for dynamics, 600 ohm beyers and 300 ohm sennheisers.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #6,675 of 19,142
I've had a 2235b and a 1060 but never a 1070.
The 2235B was pretty good with headphones and speakers.
The 1060 was great as well, but the two sounded a little different. The 1060 sounded like a 2270 or 2245. It's a slightly thicker warmer sound, while the 2235b was a wee bit leaner sounding, perhaps reigned in a bit in the mid bass area with a little bit more top end crispness.
I never used either with orthos but both had way more than enough power for dynamics, 600 ohm beyers and 300 ohm sennheisers.

Ok this is good. I like the fact that the 2235b is leaner with more crispness in the highs. I think the 1070 and 2235b share the same amp section. Have you used Beyers with modern headphone amps? How did the 2235b compare in terms of detail? I mean will entry amps like the Asgard blow vintage in terms of clarity and detail or will something like the 2235b hold its own. I've read the thread and people have been impressed with other vintage receivers but I'm trying to get an opinion on Marantz specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back