Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #6,571 of 19,140
You should clean all the controls with deoxit for sure.

The "flexing" in your speakers is almost surely due to excessive DC offset.  You need a multimeter in order to test and adjust this.  I have done it in a Marantz 2235b and it was very simple, but I do own and know how to use a multimeter.  If you don't have one, you can get them at Radio Shack.

You should NOT try to adjust the bias, IMO.  It is possible to fry your amp if you are not careful with bias adjustment.  And your issue is almost certainly DC offset.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #6,572 of 19,140
Quote:
You should clean all the controls with deoxit for sure.

The "flexing" in your speakers is almost surely due to excessive DC offset.  You need a multimeter in order to test and adjust this.  I have done it in a Marantz 2235b and it was very simple, but I do own and know how to use a multimeter.  If you don't have one, you can get them at Radio Shack.

You should NOT try to adjust the bias, IMO.  It is possible to fry your amp if you are not careful with bias adjustment.  And your issue is almost certainly DC offset.

Quote:
I'd start with deoxit and checking the DC offset and bias.
Most of the Marantz service manuals can be found on the AKdatabase.
and those two adjustments aren't too difficult usually

Thank you Rawr and Skylab, I will buy deoxit now and look up how to do use it and how to change the DC offset.  

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #6,573 of 19,140
DC offset is measured with a multimeter.
Source selection set to aux or tape.
with no source playing.
volume minimized(turned all the way down).
measuring in mV(milivolts)
put one prob in the Left channel + and the other probe in the Left channel -.
let sit for a few minutes.

look at the meters reading.

Thats your offset for the Left channel
repeat for the right channel

to me on the Marantz' of that era the bias isn't any harder to actually adjust.  But is harder to measure, and can def cause more damage if you screw it up.

Also be absolutely sure not to mix up the Bias and DC offset trim pots if you do attempt to adjust your DC offset.

oh almost forgot.
Ideally your DC offset will be below 20 mV.
the higher the number the worse off it is, sound wise.

and if you are getting negatives it probably just means you have your probes in backwards.  no big deal.  -150 mV is 150 mV just backwards probes.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #6,574 of 19,140
anyone know what a good price for a pioneer sa 9500 is? i ended up paying just under 450 after shipping for an immaculate unit that the seller claims was kept in storage for 20 years

looks almost new, but still cant help feel like i overpayed tho

its a mark 1 if that matters

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #6,576 of 19,140
Quote:
anyone know of any vintage receiver servicing companies/people in the OC area of california?  I want to see the pricing to clean up my 2226B vs me buying the stuff and doing it myself.

Tons of folks if you exercise a bit Goog-fu...Vintage electronics Orange County CA.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #6,578 of 19,140
I got my replacement bulbs for sx-980 and it's lovely and glowing again.

I tried to replace the bulbs without removing the housings, by unscrewing the clear plastic mount and pulling the bulbs out from the front (to save the brittle housing tabs). But I found the bulbs sit too deep and the kind of force needed to pull them seemed like it would break the bulbs. I had to resort to gingerly removing the housings anyway.

Is there a trick to pulling bulbs from the front?

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #6,579 of 19,140
Hey guys, I've been shopping around for a vintage receiver and have come across a few that look interesting on my local Craisglist.  Wanted to get some feedback if possible.  They all appear to be in great condition and the owners say work perfectly.

Marantz SR-53, 90Wx2, $50 
Pioneer SX-626 - 20Wx2, "Asking" $170
Technics SA 303 40Wx2, "Asking" $150 
Yamaha CR620 35Wx2 $100

Any of these will be used in a small near-field type bookshelf speaker turntable rig, I should also mention.  Anything worth looking at or haggling over?  I really appreciate the advice.  Sooner the better.  :)

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #6,580 of 19,140
Tell the guy to get real and sell you the SX-626 for $75.  Then you are in business.  A quick look at eBay completed listings will show that to be the fair price.

I'm not at all familiar with the others.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #6,581 of 19,140
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been shopping around for a vintage receiver and have come across a few that look interesting on my local Craisglist.  Wanted to get some feedback if possible.  They all appear to be in great condition and the owners say work perfectly.

Yamaha CR620 35Wx2 $100

Any of these will be used in a small near-field type bookshelf speaker turntable rig, I should also mention.  Anything worth looking at or haggling over?  I really appreciate the advice.  Sooner the better.  :)

I don'y believe the Marantz SR series are considered to be vintage, or are even that highly regarded.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #6,582 of 19,140
Hey guys, I've tried to read the thread but it's too big. Can you recommend me a vintage amp/receiver to complement my HD650.
I just bought them and I don't have any amp for them, so I was thinking that I can go vintage instead of dedicated.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #6,583 of 19,140
Hey guys, I've tried to read the thread but it's too big. Can you recommend me a vintage amp/receiver to complement my HD650.
I just bought them and I don't have any amp for them, so I was thinking that I can go vintage instead of dedicated.

HD650 is on the warm side - you may want a more neutral/clean receiver to avoid overdoing it in the warmth department.

Yamahas are known for being neutral with their Natural Sound. I have a Yamaha CR-220 (15wpc and plenty of power from headphone output) that I picked up off CL for $35 - you don't have to spend a lot.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #6,584 of 19,140
Quote:
Tell the guy to get real and sell you the SX-626 for $75.  Then you are in business.  A quick look at eBay completed listings will show that to be the fair price.

I'm not at all familiar with the others.

Skylab your advice is, as ever, invaluable.  I offered $75 and got the guy to come down to $85 which is close enough for me.  Going to pick it up later today.  What kind of speakers should I be looking at to use with this?  Any suggestions? 

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #6,585 of 19,140

Yamaha CR620 35Wx2 $100

I don'y believe the Marantz SR series are considered to be vintage, or are even that highly regarded.

I'd go for the Yamaha, it's a good reliable receiver with good neutral sound. I've got 2 now and have had at least one Yamaha CR series receiver since the 70's (my daughter actually still has the one I had in college in 74).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back