Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #6,482 of 19,142
Unless you happen to own a bunch of Quad recordings (which I highly doubt), the 2270 is the better choice.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #6,484 of 19,142

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #6,486 of 19,142
Sui AU 7700 :) :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #6,489 of 19,142
My personal modus operandi is to either buy it serviced/restored, or to have that done after buying, if it ends up being something I want to keep.  Almost all the vintage gear I currently own has been cleaned/lubed/adjusted at a bare minimum, but most of it has been completely restored including a complete "recap" (replacement of all electrolytic capacitors with new, up to spec, and better ones).

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #6,490 of 19,142
I restore all my vintage gear by own. It makes a lot of fun :) :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #6,491 of 19,142
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how many of you vintage lovers get your equipment serviced upon purchasing it? Or do you wait till something goes wrong first and doing it up all at one go?

Of my two tubed integrateds, both were serviced by the same guy. He sold me one of them (well, the charitable org he volunteered for sold it; he tuned it up on their behalf before the sale). The other one I purchased elsewhere and brought to him for service before I turned it on.

Of my solid state receivers, they all arrived in working order, aside from the usual dusty pots and switches. I strongly suspect they will benefit from recapping (at least) and tuneup, but I'm taking my time with that, since they sound fine enough now. The oldest has the most accessible boards and everything is clearly labeled, so I might do that myself once I feel confident enough with my soldering skills. The other, higher-powered ones I'm going to leave to an expert once I find one locally.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #6,492 of 19,142
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #6,493 of 19,142
I replace all the electrolytic capacitors in my 1950-1960s vintage tube stuff, no exceptions.  This has not been done completely for all the 1970s vintage solid state stuff I own, but I wish it had been for long term reliability.

Just replaced the multi-cap can in a Fisher KM-60 tuner this morning.  It was the only capacitor the previous owner didn't replace.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #6,495 of 19,142
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. The one reason I'm very, very cautious about buying vintage gear is the fear that I will be needing major service on them and not being able to find the proper parts for the servicing/repairs/replacements. Got a Sansui AU-317 I'm looking at buying which is priced pretty competitively. Any feedback on this amp? Of course, it shall be used to drive headphones exclusively (Senn HD555 and W3k Anv).

No matter how good-looking the equipment is, if it's old you should have some budget set aside to get them serviced (or time and parts, if you're doing it yourself). Parts like capacitors will decay with age and need replacement after a couple decades, regardless of how well-kept the receiver is. Odds are pretty good that if the receiver is going cheap, nothing inside it has been replaced recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back