Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #6,331 of 19,142
Quote:
It could easily be dirt, and in switches as well as the volume pot. In one of these oldsters, the signal has to get through many switch contacts as well as the pots, even if that part of the receiver isn't being used. Check loudness buttons and tape monitor switches as well as the speaker selector. Could be dirty/pitted contacts in the speaker muting relay too.

Wualta (who knows much more about this stuff than I do) has it exactly right.  Ross, you really need to unplug the unit, open the top cover, and get into the switches from there.  Spray in the deoxit, and then operate the switch or control fully about 10 times or so.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #6,332 of 19,142
Quote:
Thanks, Wualta. So, i should just liberally spray deoxit over the mentioned switches (those that i can see/reach)? Haven't done this before so I need to get the details right before attempting it LOL

Read up on the use od Deoxit at this AK thread.  http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #6,333 of 19,142
Thank you so much for the help & advice, guys
beerchug.gif
Will try to do some investigation over the weekend with more time on my hands.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #6,335 of 19,142
Newb alert! :atsmile:

Is it wrong (or dangerous) to connect the REC from my tape monitor jacks to another amp - so I can use a single source to feed both receiver and amp?

Thanks for any guidance.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #6,336 of 19,142
That's not a problem IF you are feeding the tape out (rec) to an amp that has a volume control, because the tape out is full signal, not attenuated by the receiver's volume control. So you cannot use a power amp that has no volume control. If you are connecting to an integrated amp or receiver, then it will be fine, but you will have two volume controls to deal with.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #6,337 of 19,142
Quote:
Newb alert!
atsmile.gif

Is it wrong (or dangerous) to connect the REC from my tape monitor jacks to another amp - so I can use a single source to feed both receiver and amp?
Thanks for any guidance.

i have the same question as you and I was wondering of it would be bad to connect modern sources
(DVD, PS3, PS2, XBOX) to the tape monitor input?

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #6,338 of 19,142
I connect modern sources to tape inputs all the time, it's no problem.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #6,340 of 19,142
That's not a problem IF you are feeding the tape out (rec) to an amp that has a volume control, because the tape out is full signal, not attenuated by the receiver's volume control. So you cannot use a power amp that has no volume control. If you are connecting to an integrated amp or receiver, then it will be fine, but you will have two volume controls to deal with.

Cheers Skylab,

I'm connecting my pioneer to a Wa2. I tried it the other way round, but that didn't work so well. This way it sounds very good - the volume is a bit higher which means I keep it turned down a slight bit more than otherwise on the woo's volume knob. But it sounds great.

Thanks much for the advice.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #6,341 of 19,142
i tired the tape loop a while back and it seemed to kind of compress the sound out of my wa2.  but i think that was with my beat up pioneer sx 650.  I should try again with my Kenwood 9050 or recapped marantz
i love the idea of using both my reciever and woo with the same dac.  really can't afford multiple dacs and hate swapping wires all the time.

the option was using the woo as a pre for my receiver.  but then you have to fire up the tubes everytime you want to use the receiver and the FM radio isn't an option.  plus sometimes i turn on the stereo for 10-15 minutes and then turn it off.  5998 tubes are way too expensive for me to be turning off and on all the time

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #6,342 of 19,142
Agreed about the tube worrying! I figure the tubes life span are also considerably shortened by me bending over the woo plugging/unplugging things all the time.

Haven't used it long enough this way to notice any sound compression, but will be on the look out for it now. I do like the set up this way. I felt like I had to crank the volume more than I was comfortable with using the preamp on the woo - and didn't like having dual volume controls. Whereas the Pioneer puts out tons of power and I have only one volume knob per amp to worry about this way. Makes me love my Pioneer even more.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #6,343 of 19,142
anyone know why my marantz model 30 is smoking out of the unit the second i power it on? i just got it and it looks brand new almost, the elecrolytic capacitors on the power supply have supposedly been switched and the main power amp filters have been replaced to

any help?

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #6,344 of 19,142
If its smoking you need to unplug it and take it to a qualified service shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back