Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #6,317 of 19,136
Make sure you start with the volume knob at zero. You will find you have very limited volume control with the 500's off speaker taps. On my Carver, it was two detents from silent to deafening. Thats only about 1/4" of total travel.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #6,318 of 19,136
Here is a response I received from Simaudio about using my integrated to drive the HE-500's:

[size=x-small]I wouldn't recommend to use the outputs of the i5.3 for headphone amplifying purpose. I would rather use a stand-alone headphone amplifier.[/size]

[size=x-small]The i5.3 is not equipped with any protection at the output. If something shortens, or creates some capacitive reactance, it will not be tolerated by the amp's DC coupled design. It would rather damage the unit. That is if an accident happens, or if the headphone borrows a poor design.[/size]

[size=x-small]I hope this will help.[/size]

Maybe I should listen to their warning and not try, or are they using a canned response to cover themselves in case of damage?

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #6,319 of 19,136
I was just thinking, when we moved, I dropped of a very nice Technics SU-8099 back off at my father's house to save some space in our new apartment. More so because the last few times I tried using it, it was producing a lot of very loud static (like pink noise) in the left channel when first turned on, even with the volume turned all the way down. It would go away after a few seconds of being on. A few days after that, both channels would do this, but the noise would not go away. The very last time I powered it up, the speaker output relays wouldn't even trip.

I love this amp and would like to get it working again. A couple questions...

1) What do you all think is the problem with it (shot caps, shot output transistors)?

2) How do you think the HPO of this amp compares to say my Sansui or other receivers mentioned in this massive thread?

As you can see, cosmetically, it's in mint shape.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #6,320 of 19,136
I remember that series from Technics. My father had an integrated amp and tuner from that line. I have no idea about the quality, but my dad did have excellent taste, FWIW.

I just wanted to thank you for the picture - it brought back some memories.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #6,321 of 19,136
Quote:
I remember that series from Technics. My father had an integrated amp and tuner from that line. I have no idea about the quality, but my dad did have excellent taste, FWIW.

I just wanted to thank you for the picture - it brought back some memories.

No doubt it's an excellent amplifier. IIRC, it was their TOTL in 1979. It runs hot which is normal, outputs 115w x 2 @ 8 ohms, and has a "healthy" warmish sound with excellent detail and sound stage, and that's through speakers. I don't recall how it sounded through the HPO since I was a kid back then when my father listened to cans late at night while reading a book or the latest "The Diapason" magazine (it was a pipe organ magazine).

I'm sure this amp uses the speaker amplifier section to power the HPO like all of the receivers mentioned on here. If so, it should really sound good.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #6,323 of 19,136
When you have vintage equipment (especially receivers and integrateds), it's a good idea to get an account on audiokarma; there are a lot more people familiar with older equipment and somebody is more likely to know what to do with your system.

Silence doesn't mean you're being ignored - it means that nobody with helpful advice is around. Sorry!

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #6,324 of 19,136
Quote:
When you have vintage equipment (especially receivers and integrateds), it's a good idea to get an account on audiokarma; there are a lot more people familiar with older equipment and somebody is more likely to know what to do with your system.

Silence doesn't mean you're being ignored - it means that nobody with helpful advice is around. Sorry!

Actually, I do have an account with AK. Just trying to remember my password without having to reset it. I hate having to do that. LOL

No apologies.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #6,325 of 19,136
Finally, I think I have all my gear sorted out and connected. From the Top, Sony STR 7065A, Celestion Ditton LS10 bookshelf speakers and Kenwood DP 1510 CD player (looking at replacing this with a Phillips or other player with the 1541A DAC) The, attached to the Kenwood is a HP amp from Gary at Electric Avenues, this gives me a volume control from the Kenwood HP out rather than putting it through the Sony. Sounds better (to me) this way. I have my Sound card speaker out split into two RCA's for the Aux input on the Sony. I think I will get an ODAC to use instead of the PC sound. I just bought an ODAC for my son and it is better sound than the AC97 sound card produces. The Dittons are original that I bought in the UK in the mid/late 80's. The Sony I got together with a Dual turntable and a pair of SAE Speakers for $100.00. The Kenwood I negotiated down to $15.00 at the local Pawn shop. Oh, and the just received Sennheiser HD 598's which I am really enjoying.
I will be adding an Acoustic Research TT Soon (again, its what I bought in the 80's with the speakers) so I can listen to my Vinyl again, although I am replacing much of the vinyl with FLAC files.
Anyway, thats my current set up for anyone thats interested

Bex

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #6,326 of 19,136
I picked up a Pioneer SX-580 at a Goodwill for US$20.  I know it's not an optimal place to look but I was allready there.  It's actually my first amp apart from a CMOY.

It has definatly seen better days,  the vynyl? (i think it's vynyl) on the top is puled up in places and you can see the particleboard.  There are a few nicks and scratches on the face, but I for the price I feel it is OK.  It works and sounds wonderfull though!!  Very warm, rediscovering some classical music right now.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #6,327 of 19,136
For $20, it's all good if it turns on and makes sound!!! You can get very nice looking woodgrain vinyl veneer at your local home builders store that you can use to fix it up if you decide you want to, or even real wood veneer if you are a little more patient with the process and will spend a little more. The wood veneer that has pressure-sensitive adhesive on the back can be terrific, but you have to have a steady hand, and a very good sharp exacto knife, in order to use it.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #6,328 of 19,136
Skylab,

My SX-1280 has been giving some problems with the volume lately..at times, the left channel loses volume/sound and if I'm lucky it comes back on after a few minutes of play. Happens both via the speaker taps and the headphone jack. What could possibly be the issue here? Is it a dirty volume pot and if so, can a liberal dose of deoxit spray help?

Appreciate any help here.

thanks!

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #6,329 of 19,136
It could easily be dirt, and in switches as well as the volume pot. In one of these oldsters, the signal has to get through many switch contacts as well as the pots, even if that part of the receiver isn't being used. Check loudness buttons and tape monitor switches as well as the speaker selector. Could be dirty/pitted contacts in the speaker muting relay too.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #6,330 of 19,136
Thanks, Wualta. So, i should just liberally spray deoxit over the mentioned switches (those that i can see/reach)? Haven't done this before so I need to get the details right before attempting it LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back