Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #6,301 of 19,136
I tried my HE-500's off speaker taps when I had them and they sounded exactly the same has the headphone jack. There really is no need to use speaker taps unless you have really innefficient headphones, which the HE-500 is not. Hell, I thought the HE-500 sounded great plugged right into my iPod Touch!

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #6,302 of 19,136
Quote:
I tried my HE-500's off speaker taps when I had them and they sounded exactly the same has the headphone jack. There really is no need to use speaker taps unless you have really innefficient headphones, which the HE-500 is not. Hell, I thought the HE-500 sounded great plugged right into my iPod Touch!

Ok, thanks. Was just wondering if something like this 1/4" stereo female to two rca's connector would have worked. If you stripped the rca's off.

http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-STEREO-PHONE-1-TIP-1-RING/dp/B000068O5C/ref=sr_1_42?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355100110&sr=1-42&keywords=1%2F4+stereo+female+2+rca+male

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #6,303 of 19,136
NO! I don't think you can do that, as that will have a common ground that the receivers won't like. You need to get cables made for the HiFiMan headphones to connect to speaker tabs. The are some makers that have not too expensive ones I believe.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #6,304 of 19,136
Not to go too far off topic, but what did the SX-1980 originally go for when new? I'm only asking because I just stumbled across one on eBay with just a few minutes left to go. I was amazed when I saw the auction end at $1825!!
eek.gif
 WOW!

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #6,305 of 19,136
Weverb,

You best get the HE adaptor (basically a resistor) from Head Direct and connect a pair of speaker cables from the speaker taps to the adaptor and then the HE-500 balanced 4-in XLR to the adaptor at the other end. You may need to get the stock HE-6 balanced cables for your HE-500 if you don't have it already.

To me, there is a very noticeable sound improvement via the speaker taps.

Happy listening!

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #6,306 of 19,136
Quote:
NO! I don't think you can do that, as that will have a common ground that the receivers won't like. You need to get cables made for the HiFiMan headphones to connect to speaker tabs. The are some makers that have not too expensive ones I believe.

I will take your word for it since you would know better than I. Just thought according to the 950's schematic, that the speaker tabs had a shared ground too.

Quote:
Weverb,

You best get the HE adaptor (basically a resistor) from Head Direct and connect a pair of speaker cables from the speaker taps to the adaptor and then the HE-500 balanced 4-in XLR to the adaptor at the other end. You may need to get the stock HE-6 balanced cables for your HE-500 if you don't have it already.

To me, there is a very noticeable sound improvement via the speaker taps.

Happy listening!

Cool idea! I will look into a stock HE-6 cable. Maybe someone has upgraded and selling one cheap?

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #6,307 of 19,136
Not to go too far off topic, but what did the SX-1980 originally go for when new? I'm only asking because I just stumbled across one on eBay with just a few minutes left to go. I was amazed when I saw the auction end at $1825!! :eek:  WOW!

It sold for $1,295...in 1978! Adjusted for inflation that would be over $4,500 today. On eBay working ones seem to go from $1,500-$3,500 depending on condition, how many are on eBay at the time, etc etc.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #6,308 of 19,136
Quote:
It sold for $1,295...in 1978! Adjusted for inflation that would be over $4,500 today. On eBay working ones seem to go from $1,500-$3,500 depending on condition, how many are on eBay at the time, etc etc.

Thank you kind sir. That's just simply amazing to me. And $3,500 I would have never thought of! Youch!
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #6,309 of 19,136
Quote:
The Sansui G-X000 series is widely regarded as a peak in quality. The next G-X500 series was still nice but a step down in build quality.

Earlier Sansui receivers have also many fans, with good reason. The earlier models may sound slightly warmer; "tubey-er" and perhaps a bit less accurate.

I think a model or two down from TOTL is often a sweet spot for vintage gear. A few less bells and whistles, not as much focus on brute power and beating the other manufacturers, but still plenty of juice, quality parts, and features.

Your G-7000 is right in there. I am not surprised it sounds nice.

FWIW, my main amplification is a completely recapped Sansui AU-D11 II integrated.

How's the sound sig of the Sansui AU-D11? How different is the "II" version? I see one for sale at a local hifi forum for $930.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #6,310 of 19,136
Quote:
Just recently received a set of HE-500's last week to use with my 950. Silly question for you experts. How or what did you use to connect your headphones to the speaker tabs in the back? Did you just buy a headphone extension cable and cut it? Just want a quick and inexspensive option to try the HE-500's on. If there is a noticable sound difference, then I would have a better option made up or purchased.

What kind of cable is on your HE-500 now?

If it's the stock cable that terminates in a 1/4" TRS plug, you will have to replace the cable before you connect your headphones to any speaker terminals. (Here is the cable included with the HE-6; the 4-pin XLR plug allows you to make adaptors to connect your headphone to other things, like speaker terminals and various kinds of balanced headphone outs)

The HE-500 is pretty efficient anyway -- you don't need the extra grunt that the speaker terminals provide. It might be a fun experiment, but ONLY AFTER you've got your headphones wired up right.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #6,311 of 19,136
Quote:

What kind of cable is on your HE-500 now?

If it's the stock cable that terminates in a 1/4" TRS plug, you will have to replace the cable before you connect your headphones to any speaker terminals. (Here is the cable included with the HE-6; the 4-pin XLR plug allows you to make adaptors to connect your headphone to other things, like speaker terminals and various kinds of balanced headphone outs)

The HE-500 is pretty efficient anyway -- you don't need the extra grunt that the speaker terminals provide. It might be a fun experiment, but ONLY AFTER you've got your headphones wired up right.

Thanks for the link. Also found them on epay. Might just go with these:

http://www.btg-audio.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=163149565

Would like to try the HE-500's on my integrated amp. It does not have a hp jack.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #6,313 of 19,136
Quote:

You should not be disappointed
smily_headphones1.gif

With the BTG cables? Connected to my integrated? Already love the headphones on the 950's hp jack. Was mentioned that they should sound even better matched with Simaudio gear.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #6,314 of 19,136
I got around to checking the DC offset on the 1250 today. It appears to be very good: 1.9mV Left and 2.6mV Right. I'm guessing that isn't the issue with the hotter heatsink. I'm doing some searching on AK right now. I had a thought about the speakers though - if something is blown, would I definitely hear/notice it? Before I hustle the HPM-100s around, I thought I'd ask. I hate moving them.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #6,315 of 19,136
Quote:

With the BTG cables? Connected to my integrated? Already love the headphones on the 950's hp jack. Was mentioned that they should sound even better matched with Simaudio gear.

Connected and listening via the speaker taps of your integrated. Have a friend who drives his off a NVA amp. He loves it to death
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back