Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #6,002 of 19,142
Quote:
Removed vinyl laminate on wood case and replaced with Cherry Veneer. Finished only with boiled Linseed Oil at the moment.

Love the new veneer. Looks way better than the vinyl stuff.

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #6,003 of 19,142
man that does look great.

the previous owner of my 8080 said he peeled the original vinyl and then just stained or finished the wood underneath.  doesn't look as good as yours though steven. 
Was there real wood under your vinyl veneer?

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #6,004 of 19,142
Quote:
man that does look great.

the previous owner of my 8080 said he peeled the original vinyl and then just stained or finished the wood underneath.  doesn't look as good as yours though steven. 
Was there real wood under your vinyl veneer?

Can you post a picture of yours?  I have a 7070 and vinyl is OK for now, but in any case, the re-veneer looks better.  Wondering how hard it is to re-veneer and have it look professional.

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #6,005 of 19,142

poor lighting and worse camera.  i'll throw up another tomorrow when i can get some good light

if you look really close at the front corner thats at the very bottom of the pic, you can see some of the old vinyl peeling up that he didn't remove from that bottom wood trim piece that isn't actually attatched to the wood case

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #6,008 of 19,142
Today I picked up 4 Pioneers:

SX 780 (seems 99% functional except for a bulb needing to be replaced)
SX 737 - Does not power on
SX 650 - Has a blown channel
SX 880 - Has a blown channel

According to the guy I got them from someone had hooked up a sub improperly to the 650 and the 880 resulting in their current states.  Sounds kinda sketch to me but for the price I am not complaining.  Unless it's a super easy fix for any of them, I'm thinking about maybe fixing the illumination and keeping just the 780 (I'll have 2 of them!) and ebaying the rest.  Thoughts on troubleshooting?

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #6,009 of 19,142
Check the fuses on the 880.  IMHO that is the nicest of that lot for sure.  If it's just a fuse, it would be a great score.

OTOH, the 880 uses an output device which does not have a modern equivalent/replacement.  So it the output is indeed blown, only getting lucky and finding one used would allow replacement, and that might not be cost effective.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #6,010 of 19,142
Seems like the 880 is the best of the bunch.  I flipped it over and removed the bottom case to look at the fuses, they are all intact including the one in the back panel.  Flipped it over and removed the top and while extremely dirty I don't see any evidence of bad solder joints.  I guess that doesn't make it very easy.

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #6,011 of 19,142
Well, if it is really dirty, you might bring it back to life just be a good treatment of Deoxit to all the controls and switches. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #6,012 of 19,142
Picked up a Nad 7220PE at a thrift store today for $30. Plugged it in when I got home, but sadly there was no sound. It even smoked a little :blink: I was reading that the output transformers have a tendency to fail.

Is it worth fixing? I don't really need another receiver, already have a Pioneer SA-6500 II that I love (and it certainly looks cooler). If it's not incredibly difficult (and it's worth it), I'd like to fix it and pass it on to someone who can use it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #6,013 of 19,142
Didn't get any deoxit today but found out that the right channel plays very quietly in the 880 while the 650 is actually fully functional sans bulbs.  When switching to mono mode the sound actually gets a little better balanced with the 880.  The 650 and 880 IMO sound better than the 780 -- which is a shame because the 780 is the only one in relatively good cosmetic shape.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #6,014 of 19,142
I have a junker sx 650 that I love with headphones, it's just so ugly in its current condition.

Got my 2270 back. After several months. Waiting on parts more than once, and tech day job emergencies. It had several issues, lots done wrong to it over its 40 years. 1 issue remains unresolved and will probably stay that way for the time being as it doesn't present itself under normal listening conditions for me.
Signal path recapped along with power supply and main filter caps.

Sounds great with my headphones. awesome.

its crazy how small it looks next to the Kenwood

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #6,015 of 19,142
Quote:
Picked up a Nad 7220PE at a thrift store today for $30. Plugged it in when I got home, but sadly there was no sound. It even smoked a little
blink.gif
I was reading that the output transformers have a tendency to fail.
Is it worth fixing? I don't really need another receiver, already have a Pioneer SA-6500 II that I love (and it certainly looks cooler). If it's not incredibly difficult (and it's worth it), I'd like to fix it and pass it on to someone who can use it.

I used to have the 7220PE.  I used it as a preamp to feed my EF5 tube amp, Later, I tried the headphone output on it and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded, but by that time I had the SX-1250 and 2275, so did not have a need to hang on to it.  I think it is worth saving, but if you intend to pass it along as a sale, check Ebay history to see what the price range is and decide if you can pocket some change.

I have the SA-9500.  I agree on the looks and SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back