Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #5,221 of 19,143
Only my Sansui requires the muting switch. My Marantz and Pioneers do not.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #5,222 of 19,143
I can't be the only one using a pair of vintage STAX and a transformer box out of one of these can I? I find that there is an even better value to be found in vintage headphones than amps, mainly as they don't have to be restored to sound their best.

More on topic though, I just bought a restored Sherwood S-7800. I'll get some pics up when it arrives. I also got in a fully restored Tandberg TCD-300 cassette deck for a grand total of $40. It's a very good sound from cassette, a shame my tapes can't pull the best of it. My dad has a chrome tape with a star wars soundtrack on it that he got quite a few years ago, the background is dead quiet and it sounds amazing. My tapes are hiss city.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #5,223 of 19,143
I use to run a pair of lambda pros and lambda sigs via srd 7 out of my fisher tube integrated. It was an awesome sounding setup. Vintage stax do hold a very high value. I would take that setup over any hd800, t1, d7000 setup I've listened to. I miss my stax setups a lot. Only a matter of time till they will one day reside in my home again.

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #5,225 of 19,143
How would you compare the 9090 to the sx 1250?

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #5,226 of 19,143
Quote:
I can't be the only one using a pair of vintage STAX and a transformer box out of one of these can I? 

You could be, but you're not. Moodyrn has already outed himself, so I'll do likewise: SRD-7 Pro xfrmr box, SR-X Mk3, Lambdas Pro, Sig, Nova Basic, 303, and, with an adapter, Koss ESP.950. I have an SRM-1 Mk2 Professional (C series), but I prefer doing it the old-fashioned way, with a gigantic amp and the humble little SRD-7.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #5,227 of 19,143
Well, your post destroyed mine. Wow you have some impressive stax gear. I feel so small now. :mad:
There was a time I owned an srm1 c version, t1s, srd 7 pro and sb. All gone and by far my biggest regret. I preferred the vintage t1s but the srm1 might be the biggest stax amp value ever,

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #5,228 of 19,143
Nice. I just have a somewhat humble SRD-6SB and SR-5 headphones. How much is there to gain from upgrading to a higher end transformer box? I guess first thing on my list should be a proper DAC. My current(unrestored) sherwood sounds harsh with everything but when the new one comes in I'm pretty sure it won't be so forgiving with the onboard. I've also got a Dual 701 turntable coming in. Would be a shame if the problems I was having with the 1209 were just a phono stage on it's way out. :xf_eek:

I'm really stunned how good these Stax sound, I wasn't sure what to expect when I got them but if they really can compete on a level that high-end I guess I'm set. I pretty much payed the same for the Stax and T-box as I did for my Ultrasone 2900s. They certainly don't sound lacking in any way to me, but I've never been a fan of an overly warm and weighty sound. I've also never heard a high end headphone or speaker setup for that matter. And don't feel bad moodyrn, your stax is probably on a higher level than mine. :p

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #5,229 of 19,143
Quote:
Nice. I just have a somewhat humble SRD-6SB and SR-5 headphones. How much is there to gain from upgrading to a higher end transformer box? 

Having an AC bias supply will tie you to the power grid but will provide a steadier bias voltage for those times you want to listen at a background level. Mostly, though, it's cleaner (read: louder) bass. And the SR-5 has, as I recall, the same driver as the SR-X Mk3, just tweaked differently. I like the Lambdas, but the SR-X is an old sentimental favorite from my radio days, and contemporaneous with your SR-5. Anyway, see if you can find an old SRD-7 cheap. It'll take a lot more power than the spec sheet says.

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #5,230 of 19,143
You could be, but you're not. Moodyrn has already outed himself, so I'll do likewise: SRD-7 Pro xfrmr box, SR-X Mk3, Lambdas Pro, Sig, Nova Basic, 303, and, with an adapter, Koss ESP.950. I have an SRM-1 Mk2 Professional (C series), but I prefer doing it the old-fashioned way, with a gigantic amp and the humble little SRD-7.

Hey Wualta,

I've been eyeing a SR-X Mk3 and SRD-7 pair to use with my vintage rig...can you please comment on the SR-XMk3 a bit? Good?

Rawbington, the Sansui 9090DB is warmer sounding than the 1250, but very slightly less transparent, IMHO, and the bass is a bit looser. This in spite of the fact that my 1250 is stock, and my 9090 is completely recapped and restored. Nonetheless, the 9090 is an impressive receiver in its own right, and I like it very much. I use it actually exclusively with headphones.

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #5,231 of 19,143
Quote:
Rawbington, the Sansui 9090DB is warmer sounding than the 1250, but very slightly less transparent, IMHO, and the bass is a bit looser. This in spite of the fact that my 1250 is stock, and my 9090 is completely recapped and restored. Nonetheless, the 9090 is an impressive receiver in its own right, and I like it very much. I use it actually exclusively with headphones.

perfect, exactly what i wanted to know.  been eyeballing a local 1250 but its expensive.  he wants 650 for it.  its recently been worked on.  doubt a full recap though.
and i have an 8080 which sounds pretty much the same as the 9090 that i've listened to.

not sure the 1250 is worth that without a full recap.  maybe i can get him to budge a little on the price, say down to 500ish and then offer my sx 950 + cash as a trade.
decisions decisions

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #5,232 of 19,143
Quote:
Gold-plated Nakamichi anyone? On the Bay for $19000 
ph34r.gif

*link in pic

Back on the early 80's I saw a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck gold plated with the name of the then Mexico's president engraved. The owner of the store in Laredo Tx. told me it was a special order from somebody in Mexico as a gift to the president. I don't remember how much it was but it was A TON of money.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #5,233 of 19,143
Quote:
Having an AC bias supply will tie you to the power grid but will provide a steadier bias voltage for those times you want to listen at a background level. Mostly, though, it's cleaner (read: louder) bass. And the SR-5 has, as I recall, the same driver as the SR-X Mk3, just tweaked differently. I like the Lambdas, but the SR-X is an old sentimental favorite from my radio days, and contemporaneous with your SR-5. Anyway, see if you can find an old SRD-7 cheap. It'll take a lot more power than the spec sheet says.

I thought it was the SR-5N that had the same driver as the SR-X MkIII and SR-Gamma?  

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #5,234 of 19,143
I thought it was the SR-5N that had the same driver as the SR-X MkIII and SR-Gamma?  

Yeah, it's the SR-5NB which is the one I have. The original SR-5 in white was one step lower than the SR-X I believe. I believe mine is from the mid-late 80s as I have the newer ribbon cord. As for the question on the SR-X MKIII, from the research I did before I bought these the SR-X was more of a studio monitor while the SR-5NB was a tweaked consumer version with a slightly warmer sound and a little more bass. The SR-X also seems to be supra-aural like a Grado while the 5 is over-ear. I almost want to say that my SR-5NB has as much bass as my Ultrasone 2900 did, but it's much tighter, doesn't go as low, and is completely flat as opposed to having a mid bass boom. It certainly hits harder than the Ultrasone ever did. There is a drum solo in one of my favorite Reverend Bizzare tracks that goes on for at least 7 minutes. It sounds like you're sitting right in front of the drum set and when you flick on the loudness switch you'll really be in for a treat. Pretty much the SR-X is a little more transparent and a little less fun. I'd say go for it if you can get a good deal on it. There was an SR-X going for about $200 here a while ago, so that should give you a good idea on price.

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #5,235 of 19,143
Quote:
Hey Wualta,
I've been eyeing a SR-X Mk3 and SRD-7 pair to use with my vintage rig...can you please comment on the SR-XMk3 a bit? Good?

Skylab to be honest, I like the srx, sr5, gama series of stax. But the gems lie in all of the old lambda series. It's cans like the series I mentioned that gave stax the rep for being bass lite. Don't get me wrong, they are very good in their own right. But all of the lambdas, no matter which one(normal, pro, sig or even the newer nova series) can compete with 1000.00 cans. And they can be had for not much more than the other series mentioned. I only sold mine because of he6, and 407(which later got sold after getting the w3000anv because they were too similar to the slightly better he6).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back