Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #5,176 of 19,142
Posted this earlier in the Vintage Speaker thread, but it couldn't hurt to share it here as well.

Picked up this Pioneer SA-6500 II integrated today at Salvation Army. $35

It does an incredible job driving my JBL P40's that I picked up yesterday ($40). It's been a good week 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5,180 of 19,142
I have my AU-X11 back from the dealers last week after they fixed the problems concerning the external pre-am in connection and no sound out from HP out . My original non-vinatge SS amplifier also came back from repairs for direct comparison. After listening for a week it's time for me to report to you guys . SCD-777ES →AU-XII →Fischer & Fischer Floorstander: AU-X11 added warmth and smoothness to the mid and high , while rounding off the highs and adding bump to the low end ,compared with my modern SS . Male voices benefit all along the spectrum. The same happens to female voices , except that the Suprano sometimes happens to be round off too much, adding warmth at the expense of timbre and detail. Adding a tube pre-am Melody 1688 between SCD777Es and AU-X11 further enhanced smoothness and sweetness to the female voice. This is the combination which my wife prefers most. However, my speakers is not full range , and start to decay below 60hz. The bump in the low tends to exaggerate the mid-low and create an unneceassary mid-low boom for some of the recordings . This is especially so now that the gears are placed in a small bedroom ( the sitting room is occupied by the AV rack) . Turning back to my modern SS amplifier, the sound become clearer , much faster and more focused , revealing more details and tonally more balanced . Overall I prefer the modern sound more, although there is a special open and warm sound associated with this Sansui AU-X11. An audiophie friend auditioned the system . He commented that the good thing about this Sansui can also be achieved by a modern high end high powered tube amplifer , with better extended high frequencies. He believed that my accurate and fast speakers does not have good synegy with the Sansui. A better synergy would be with those old school vintage speakers with horn or ribbon mid and high and 15 inch woofer . I tend to agree with him, these vinatge amplifers are designed to sound best with the speakers of their time. Now let's turn to computer tempotec digital only sound card → Audio GD NFB 10SE DAC/pre → AU-X11 ( pre in ) HP out →HE-6 At first I listened to male and female voices . This is where it shined . The HP out of AU-X11 is more than enough to drive the HE-6. The Audio GD 10SE is already powerful enough to drive HE-6 , pumping 7ws into 50ohm. Using the pre-out of 10SE to AU-X11 , the difference is obvious: a richer and more open sound , added warmed and authority , added sweetness of the female voices and presence of the male voice . It was audio nirvana ! As for comparison with tube amplifer for driving the HE-6, I have only tried Audio Note P-2 before. Audio Note P-2 obviously does not have the juice to drive HE-6 properly . P-2 sounds very rich and smooth ,but for some music will appear dull and lacking in dynamics , the highs are not so extended and the bass is not so plenty and bumpy compared with AU-X11. However, as in the case of speakers, I believe the modern high end and high powered tube headphone amplifers ( Leben , or Hifiman EF6 , or maybe even darkvoice or LD Mk.VIII ) might match AU-XII in it's strengths and have better clarity, higher extension , better layering and detail . This is only what I deduce from my above experience and may not necessarily be true. When it comes to human voice backed up by layers of electronic instruments, or large scale violin concertos , it's another story . AU-X11 gives a rich and authoritative sound . But since there are so many voices and instruments involved, the scene become more congested or chaotic ( only comparatively). The violin and the orchestra obviously suffer from the loss of clarity , micro-detail and speed. This is only when compared with the high powered , accurate and fast modern SS gear . BY itself the AU-X11 is already producing a very convincing and engaging sound . AU-X11 is the first vintage amplifer I tried, and I deliberately chose the TOTL of the TOTL , in order not to be preduiced against the vinatge . The Sansui engineers took the AU919 circuit to the extreme and produced the AU-X1 with the up till then unknown speed and ability to capture the transience , while maintaning the traditional Sansui bass and warmth and round off high . They further refined the AU-X1 by removing the fault in the circuit which leads to the propensity of oscillation . There came AU-X11 . I believe at 1983 AU-X11 might represent the pinnacle of vinatge SS gear . However, I believe also that modern high end SS gear on a whole is of a different league and surpass the level of AU-X11 . But the warm and rich mid , and bumpy bass and round off smooth high of Sansui still works magic for a lot of music , especially the male and female voices ( may be except soprano in my opinion, unless you are using horn or ribbon tweeter). My conclusions is , the more a piece of music require resolution and speed , the less AU-X11 will excel. For example , the Hi-Rez Leonard Cohen album sound so hynoptic and warm on AU-X11 , but the Hi-Rez Aaron Neville album of "Summertime "sounds much better on Audio GD NFB 10-SE alone, which captured the transience, minute details and nuances much better than AU-X11. Although I have not had the chance to compare with Leben , or EF-6, I believe these modern high end high powered tube HP will also on a whole surpass AU-X11 in terms of clarity, layering , tibre, etc. I do hope that some other guys can provide a comparison for Leben a or EF-6 , if not against AU-X11 , then at least against an AU919 to prove or disprove the point.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #5,181 of 19,142
Quote:
Posted this earlier in the Vintage Speaker thread, but it couldn't hurt to share it here as well.

Picked up this Pioneer SA-6500 II integrated today at Salvation Army. $35

It does an incredible job driving my JBL P40's that I picked up yesterday ($40). It's been a good week 
smily_headphones1.gif

An extraordinary week!
beerchug.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #5,182 of 19,142
Quote:
I have my AU-X11 back from the dealers last week after they fixed the problems concerning the external pre-am in connection and no sound out from HP out . My original non-vinatge SS amplifier also came back from repairs for direct comparison. After listening for a week it's time for me to report to you guys . SCD-777ES →AU-XII →Fischer & Fischer Floorstander: AU-X11 added warmth and smoothness to the mid and high , while rounding off the highs and adding bump to the low end ,compared with my modern SS . Male voices benefit all along the spectrum. The same happens to female voices , except that the Suprano sometimes happens to be round off too much, adding warmth at the expense of timbre and detail. Adding a tube pre-am Melody 1688 between SCD777Es and AU-X11 further enhanced smoothness and sweetness to the female voice. This is the combination which my wife prefers most. However, my speakers is not full range , and start to decay below 60hz. The bump in the low tends to exaggerate the mid-low and create an unneceassary mid-low boom for some of the recordings . This is especially so now that the gears are placed in a small bedroom ( the sitting room is occupied by the AV rack) . Turning back to my modern SS amplifier, the sound become clearer , much faster and more focused , revealing more details and tonally more balanced . Overall I prefer the modern sound more, although there is a special open and warm sound associated with this Sansui AU-X11. An audiophie friend auditioned the system . He commented that the good thing about this Sansui can also be achieved by a modern high end high powered tube amplifer , with better extended high frequencies. He believed that my accurate and fast speakers does not have good synegy with the Sansui. A better synergy would be with those old school vintage speakers with horn or ribbon mid and high and 15 inch woofer . I tend to agree with him, these vinatge amplifers are designed to sound best with the speakers of their time. Now let's turn to computer tempotec digital only sound card → Audio GD NFB 10SE DAC/pre → AU-X11 ( pre in ) HP out →HE-6 At first I listened to male and female voices . This is where it shined . The HP out of AU-X11 is more than enough to drive the HE-6. The Audio GD 10SE is already powerful enough to drive HE-6 , pumping 7ws into 50ohm. Using the pre-out of 10SE to AU-X11 , the difference is obvious: a richer and more open sound , added warmed and authority , added sweetness of the female voices and presence of the male voice . It was audio nirvana ! As for comparison with tube amplifer for driving the HE-6, I have only tried Audio Note P-2 before. Audio Note P-2 obviously does not have the juice to drive HE-6 properly . P-2 sounds very rich and smooth ,but for some music will appear dull and lacking in dynamics , the highs are not so extended and the bass is not so plenty and bumpy compared with AU-X11. However, as in the case of speakers, I believe the modern high end and high powered tube headphone amplifers ( Leben , or Hifiman EF6 , or maybe even darkvoice or LD Mk.VIII ) might match AU-XII in it's strengths and have better clarity, higher extension , better layering and detail . This is only what I deduce from my above experience and may not necessarily be true. When it comes to human voice backed up by layers of electronic instruments, or large scale violin concertos , it's another story . AU-X11 gives a rich and authoritative sound . But since there are so many voices and instruments involved, the scene become more congested or chaotic ( only comparatively). The violin and the orchestra obviously suffer from the loss of clarity , micro-detail and speed. This is only when compared with the high powered , accurate and fast modern SS gear . BY itself the AU-X11 is already producing a very convincing and engaging sound . AU-X11 is the first vintage amplifer I tried, and I deliberately chose the TOTL of the TOTL , in order not to be preduiced against the vinatge . The Sansui engineers took the AU919 circuit to the extreme and produced the AU-X1 with the up till then unknown speed and ability to capture the transience , while maintaning the traditional Sansui bass and warmth and round off high . They further refined the AU-X1 by removing the fault in the circuit which leads to the propensity of oscillation . There came AU-X11 . I believe at 1983 AU-X11 might represent the pinnacle of vinatge SS gear . However, I believe also that modern high end SS gear on a whole is of a different league and surpass the level of AU-X11 . But the warm and rich mid , and bumpy bass and round off smooth high of Sansui still works magic for a lot of music , especially the male and female voices ( may be except soprano in my opinion, unless you are using horn or ribbon tweeter). My conclusions is , the more a piece of music require resolution and speed , the less AU-X11 will excel. For example , the Hi-Rez Leonard Cohen album sound so hynoptic and warm on AU-X11 , but the Hi-Rez Aaron Neville album of "Summertime "sounds much better on Audio GD NFB 10-SE alone, which captured the transience, minute details and nuances much better than AU-X11. Although I have not had the chance to compare with Leben , or EF-6, I believe these modern high end high powered tube HP will also on a whole surpass AU-X11 in terms of clarity, layering , tibre, etc. I do hope that some other guys can provide a comparison for Leben a or EF-6 , if not against AU-X11 , then at least against an AU919 to prove or disprove the point.

I totally agree with you on bold part! You Sir can really describe the sound!
beerchug.gif

As for the comparison of AU-D11 and modern gears, I think there are huge concept differences between modern and vintage audio design. Modern gears focus more on flat response, vintage gears focus on reproducing live feeling. And I think we have to consider the microphones and other recording equipments too.

Skylab has a brief comparison of Leben and Pionny vintage gears, you can find it at early part of this thread. Or he may chime in!

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #5,183 of 19,142
Just picked up a Sansui 881 today off of Craigslist :) 40 dollars later, I am extremely happy with my purchase! have to run the controls through some Deoxit, but after that, it will be super amazing! It joins the growing family :D Right now there are a couple dings and a missing mic level knob, but other than that it's in fantastic shape 
redface.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #5,184 of 19,142
Yep, the same Head-Fiers who enjoy tube distortion enjoy vintage SS distortion. You guys (!) all belong in the same loony bin. Even then, I bet you'd prefer vinyl over digital.   
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5,185 of 19,142
Could you explain what that statement is suppose to mean. I hope it's not suppose to be funny, because I don't find it funny or amusing at all. To me that's taking a shot at everyone on this thread who enjoy either tube or vintage gear. Also for your info, vintage solid state is just like everything else. Some do have higher than average distortion, but a whole lot of vintage gear measures quite well. And to add, there are some tube amps that measure as well as typical modern solid state amps when it comes to distortion levels.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #5,188 of 19,142
And my comment was no different nor is anyone tense. Still to come, my listening session in two hours with my seldom used SX-650. Gonna make sure it's still with me! Meanwhile, I'm going to shop for Monster receivers online...

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #5,189 of 19,142
Quote:
Pretty obvious to me that it was tongue in cheek humor. Relax and enjoy the music... 

Thanks palmfish - clearly, some of us take this hobby a little too seriously. I had previously thought that there was room for a little light-hearted banter in this thread - apparently some dont see it that way. Hate to step on anyone's religion - I'll juat take my bat and ball and go home. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #5,190 of 19,142
Actually, it was my humor that was overlooked... 
rolleyes.gif
 and that's ok. We got music! O, I know why this escaped you two, my post appears right underneath moodryn's, 
wink_face.gif
 and he wasn't jokin', baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back