Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #5,101 of 19,142
I have a new addition. The Sansui AU-D907. It drives my HE-6 effortlessly. The sound is somewhere between my SX-1980 and the Marantz 2385, with a really black background. 

As I don't have a decent camera I'll post the Vintage Knob pic.

Edit: I'm now using my Senn IE-8's out of the headphone jack. This thing is quiet.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #5,102 of 19,142
WOW, that's an impressive piece of kit, Mr.Q! You have some NICE vintage gear
L3000.gif

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #5,103 of 19,142
^Thanks. My next step is to will be to get them all fully re-capped etc. I'll start with the 1980. The thing is I'll have to send them to the US, so I'm seeing this as a long term project.

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #5,104 of 19,142
Honestly, I would not ship an SX-1980 overseas, for any reason. Shipping those monsters is a risky proposition, not to mention very expensive.  Surely there is someone in London who restores vintage audio...

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #5,106 of 19,142
Sure; getting parts from the US is understandable.  There are basically entire lists of the parts needed posted on AudioKarma.  Except for the main filter caps, you can gen everything you need from Mouser Electronics, IIRC.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #5,108 of 19,142
Quote:
This popped up yesterday,looks like my shed-it's only a half hour from my location so I'll pass through on Sunday:
BIG Vintage Audio Sale

wow, that looks like it will be a great trip to take on a Sunday!

local CL ad came up with a Marantz 2275 for sale for $45. seller said nothing wrong. but the ad came out like 5am in the morning, and I just replied at 11am or so. so I am sure the chance of me scoring that will be zero. 
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #5,109 of 19,142
Quote:
Sure; getting parts from the US is understandable.  There are basically entire lists of the parts needed posted on AudioKarma.  Except for the main filter caps, you can gen everything you need from Mouser Electronics, IIRC.

Thanks for the tip on Mouser Electronics, it's appreciated. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #5,111 of 19,142
woody88 said:
local CL ad came up with a Marantz 2275 for sale for $45. seller said nothing wrong. but the ad came out like 5am in the morning, and I just replied at 11am or so. so I am sure the chance of me scoring that will be zero. :confused_face(1):

Wow. That would be a huge score! I hope you get it!

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #5,112 of 19,142
Quote:
Wow. That would be a huge score! I hope you get it!

Lol yeah I did not. Seller never even replied to me, and earlier this evening the ad was pulled. And it was one owner too. Looks to be pretty mint based on picture.

But then again, we all know what happened to me last time when I based on a picture right? Lol but even scoring this as a completely dead unit would've been a great score too. Oh well....

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #5,113 of 19,142
Quote:
For most people here, it's not about vintage gear being a novelty or a hobby(maybe for some). The reason this thread took off the way it did, was because of the pleasant surprise about how good some of this stuff sounds. And for many, including myself, it has change the notion of having to spend huge amounts of money on dedicated headphone amps to get great sound. But of course ymmv. I still get a chuckle when I go back and read the first few pages in this thread. Even the very first post was met with a bit of criticism. But oh my has this thread taken off. Depending on the condition, you may have no desire to go the route of a dedicated headphone amp.

X2!  I could not agree more.  Subsequent comments had me chuckling at my own wallet drama now that I have more receivers than I have rooms to play them in or speakers to pair them with...this lifestyle of sonic polygamy is as hedonistic as all get out when you can throw in tone controls, analog and digitally sourced music, DACs to refine the vibes....shall I carry on?  Needless to say, this is the thread I most frequent since the discussion points range over a wide bandwidth of topics and in way cool detail, too.    I have come to appreciate the retro-bauhaus-glam that some of the units sport.

I used to collect stamps and rare books and much of the pleasure came in the hunt for the hard-to-find items, which when coupled with the notion of getting out of the deal some real value, whether monetary or aesthetically, or even functionally, just gets me wanting to keep on searching.  But again, I am also searching for the sound that hits me at the core of my being with a sense of righteous goodness.  Might never win for trying, but got to try anyhow and this thread has been as good as gold in the sense it has laid afore me a path that is sensible and achievable...and the trying hasn't been for naught so far.

Thanks to ya alls...having a real fine time with this thread and learning from the regulars.  Now...the Concept 16.5.....where ye be?

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #5,114 of 19,142
Got to hear a sansui au20000 last weekend. Man that thing was magnificent. Not sure if worth the price tag but it sounded awesome

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #5,115 of 19,142
No argument that there are still some serious bargains out there, particularly for those in the CONUS, but I sense a certain amount of reverse snobbery in relation to newer amps/receivers, both here and at Audiokarma, and its not simply around bang-for-buck. I still see people disparaging the headphone stage on modern integrated amps, blanket-style, without having heard the amp in question. I even read one comment from some Nigel who claimed that mid-fi from Marantz/NAD/CA was actually worse than the consumer-grade dross at K-Mart, because it gave people the illusion (!) that they were buying an audiophile product. Heaven forbid .... 

I can understand people choosing vinyl over digital, tubes over SS or vintage over modern kit, but anyone who makes a statement like that is a complete tosser, IMO. There is room for kit of all shapes, sizes and religions in this crazy hobby. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back